Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I Was Today Years Old When I Discovered Tilt EQ

mattbarden

Little late to the party on this one, but it's pretty rad! Actually makes the stock cabs usable IMO. I could just never get the 57 to sound right on any cab before the Tilt EQ. As far as I understand it, they essentially made that to simulate moving the microphone across the speaker (since we currently don't have any other way to do that with stock cabs), is that right? Sure sounds like that's what it's more or less doing to me. Great, now I get to go down the rabbit hole of stock cabs again and possibly start cursing the amount of money I've spent on IR's...Excellent job though Line 6, can't wait to see what comes in the next update!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mattbarden said:

As far as I understand it, they essentially made that to simulate moving the microphone across the speaker (since we currently don't have any other way to do that with stock cabs), is that right?

I don't think that's "why" they made the Tilt EQ, but it's one of the many practical uses of the Tilt EQ. 

Here's another trick... try placing it toward the beginning of the chain and use it to shape your guitar tone coming into the Helix. I can get convincing humbucker tones from my single coil guitars and vice versa. 

For general use... it's a really subtle/simple EQ for tone shaping. 

9 hours ago, mattbarden said:

Little late to the party on this one, but it's pretty rad!

I don't think you are alone.... I think the majority of users haven't quite realized how powerful this little eq block is. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, codamedia said:

I don't think that's "why" they made the Tilt EQ, but it's one of the many practical uses of the Tilt EQ. 

Here's another trick... try placing it toward the beginning of the chain and use it to shape your guitar tone coming into the Helix. I can get convincing humbucker tones from my single coil guitars and vice versa. 

For general use... it's a really subtle/simple EQ for tone shaping. 

I don't think you are alone.... I think the majority of users haven't quite realized how powerful this little eq block is. 

What are you setting it at to go from Hum > Single?  I tried the Guitar IR's from a company and they are ok, but missing something.  Id be curious to try your trick.  

4 hours ago, themetallikid said:

What are you setting it at to go from Hum > Single?  I tried the Guitar IR's from a company and they are ok, but missing something.  Id be curious to try your trick.  

Well... you're not likely to turn a Les Paul into a Strat or Tele..... but you can certainly lean it in that direction. 

Try this to get in the ballpark.... 

• Tilt = Bright 100   (yes... full)
  • Center Frequency = 1.2K
  • Level = -3 (to take a little gain off the pickup)

From there... tweak the Center Frequency to get the split point that works best with your pickup... then back off the "TILT" if it's a little too bright. 

If you don't want to simulate the volume drop of a single coil vs a humbucker, don't cut the "Level" at all. 

35 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Well... you're not likely to turn a Les Paul into a Strat or Tele..... but you can certainly lean it in that direction. 

From there... tweak the Center Frequency to get the split point that works best with your pickup... then back off the "TILT" if it's a little too bright. 

If you don't want to simulate the volume drop of a single coil vs a humbucker, don't cut the "Level" at all. 

Interesting idea, might have to try this out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

Appreciate that.  I know it wont be 100% legit, but the IR's I tried, just do something that I can't figure out that I dont like.  Almost like the dry signal goes through or something weird. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

Appreciate that.  I know it wont be 100% legit, but the IR's I tried, just do something that I can't figure out that I dont like.  Almost like the dry signal goes through or something weird. 

There is a Mix parameter in the IR block that controls how much of the dry signal is passed through. Experiment with it. I’ve found that setting this at less than 100% can sound better.

21 hours ago, cain777 said:

Ouuuuu. I like the sound of getting more mileage from the stock cabinet impulses! I feel like there are far too many options of third party impulses and sometimes we just need to dig into the factory/included options more.

It definitely helps them in a big way! I've made some very usable patches with them recently and I've been an IR guy ever since I got my Helix. There is something about the sauce of my Badonk patch with a York Mesa OS cab I can't quite get out of them, but that amp and cab pack pair up better than any combination I've come across so that's fair.

I always have the Tilt EQ in all my patches now, it's just a very quick way to adjust the overall tone brighter or darker without changing amp parameters constantly.

It was actually described to me by some of the guys here, as an EQ to handle string wear i.e when they dull off a bit you can regain some of the original brighter tone etc.

I expect that does work to a degree, it's easier than changing strings every few weeks or months, although I suspect the dynamic you lose from new strings is never really

replaced with an EQ. Either way, it is a very handy tool for hitting the sweet spot on a tone.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 3:27 AM, Paulzx said:

I always have the Tilt EQ in all my patches now, it's just a very quick way to adjust the overall tone brighter or darker without changing amp parameters constantly.

It was actually described to me by some of the guys here, as an EQ to handle string wear i.e when they dull off a bit you can regain some of the original brighter tone etc.

I expect that does work to a degree, it's easier than changing strings every few weeks or months, although I suspect the dynamic you lose from new strings is never really

replaced with an EQ. Either way, it is a very handy tool for hitting the sweet spot on a tone.

I am going to have to try this block.  Thanks for the informative thread.  When I was working on the road during the late 70s / early 80s I wish I had the Helix.  I had to change strings every week on the Sunday travel to the next job.  And sometimes in awkward positions in a darn over-stuffed van! ;-)