Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clicking when using hx usb and amp simultaneously

RexVaj

My apologies if this issue has been addressed. I tried several searches and scanned the bug thread.  When my stomp is connected to an amp and usb into the computer at the same time, there is a terrible clicking noise present through the amp.  Is this a set-up issue or is there any way to eliminate this?  2020 Mac Mini M1 -Monterey

You have a ground loop...I use a tripp lite LC1200 at home and small rig gigs and an LCR2400 when I gotta bring it all...Basically these are Automatic Voltage Regulators (AVR) that keep my input power stable and conditions the power. They are transformer based....So I plug my computer into the house power directly and all my gear into the AVR...Ground Loops don't go thru transformers because there is no where to go...Been doing this for over 30 years and still have my gear from the 80s and it all still works...and I don't get ground loops...ever...

22 minutes ago, spaceatl said:

You have a ground loop...I use a tripp lite LC1200 at home and small rig gigs and an LCR2400 when I gotta bring it all...Basically these are Automatic Voltage Regulators (AVR) that keep my input power stable and conditions the power. They are transformer based....So I plug my computer into the house power directly and all my gear into the AVR...Ground Loops don't go thru transformers because there is no where to go...Been doing this for over 30 years and still have my gear from the 80s and it all still works...and I don't get ground loops...ever...

Thanks for the reply!!!  I have everything going through an APC 1000 Smart UPS.  Actually the HX is going through another ups that is plugged into the APC.  EDIT: I see the monitor and drives are not plugged into the UPS.  I'll ty sorting that out.

On 12/20/2021 at 11:53 PM, RexVaj said:

Well...what do you (I) know?  That is what the 'Earth Lift' switch on the amp is for.  Thanks again!

That was the loop.

The way I run, my computer is in a UPS and all my audio in on a separate transformer based AVR. The clicking is the solid-state UPS...Those are not so good for audio gear...If the lift works, that is good...Generally, best practices for audio are transformer based power isolation because switching supplies click.

2 hours ago, spaceatl said:

That's a hack...it works. In professional environments, isolation is the preferred approach.

It's a perfectly viable fix no different to using a ground lift, I didn't get the impression the OP is talking about a professional environment. 

5 hours ago, CraigGT said:

It's a perfectly viable fix no different to using a ground lift, I didn't get the impression the OP is talking about a professional environment. 

I don't know what kind of ground lift the OP lifted...My responses on this topic will ALWAYS assume electrical (AC Input) lift (which can also work) and that is actually dangerous. if it's a signal lift, perfectly fine. or alternate ground if electrical...But then you get right back to isolation...