Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Analogue OD in front of Pod Go

trainguy

All,

I just saw a video from Five Watt World describing how using an analogue boost or OD before the Pod Go goes a long way to providing that Tube Amp feel, before signal enters the all-digital unit.  See portion at 12:00.

Have any of you taken this route?

Thoughts?

tg

I haven't but might consider it. Because of the pandemic (I'm in the UK) I've not been able to go back into the rehearsal room or gigging so I've not yet been able to use and assess Pod Go in a live band mix situation. Prior to the pandemic I was gigging with my Vox Tonelab SE straight through the PA.  It's old tech from 2003/4 but is still a terrific piece of kit, and it has a 12AX7 valve that is positioned in the valve-reactor circuit to act as a power amp tube.  This helps give it a really good valve like feel and response and is something I was wondering if I might lose with Pod Go. I have an analogue boost (a BBE Boosta Grand) that I use in the fx loop of my Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX, so it's something I could experiment with in front of the Pod Go.

It can work great. I used a Strymon OB.1 Compressor (has a voiced clean boost) for years with my HD. I used it with the GO too while I had it (about a year)....worked great...tube feel is more about compression than anything else...You can do this a lot of ways if you feel you need it....Back in the XT days, I used my ADA Mp-1 as tube buffer to add more feel...that was nice because it was midi....but it's just too big to use these days.