Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hi all,

I just got a Boss SY-200, and was really happy, because you can select patches and control various parameters via MIDI. 

HOWEVER - after messing around with menus all day, and still not finding a solution, and using the process of elimination, I found that it was either the MIDI 5-pin DIN to 3.5mm TRS cable I purchased, or it was the Boss SY-200 itself.  After some research, I began to realize it was that the cable was configured incorrectly - that the tip, ring, and sleeve of the TRS plug were not connected to the correct pins on the 5-pin DIN (MIDI) plug.  So, I cut one of mine open, and switched the wires for pins 4 and 5 and everything is working great now.

So, if you are trying to connect the new Boss SY-200 to your Helix, and the program changes do not transmit, this is probably why.  I tried with two different cables, and neither worked until I modified one, which then worked.

I sincerely hope this saved some folks a lot of time trying to track this problem down.  I have attached a pin diagram below.

PS: PLEASE NOTE that the Boss SY-200 DOES NOT output note-on and note-off data via MIDI. In other words, you can't use it to control a MIDI keyboard or tone module, like the Roland GR-30, GR-33, or the GR-55.  The Boss SY-200 is NOT that kind of guitar synth.

MIDI-DIN-to-TRS-wiring.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got mine SY 200 this week. Did the original Boss Midi TRS Type a cable not work for you?

How did you connceted the Boss to the Helix. Did a first check yesterday where I put the Boss in a separate path so guitar in > path 1 guitar stuff > out to amp and second path guitar in > Boss in Loop 2 > out to amp.

I was not that satisfied.

Hi JuRo1971,  I put the SY-200 in one of the effect loops (send 1 / return 1) in mono.  Mine sounds great.

The issue that I was talking about here, regarding MIDI, was about program changes, which I did figure out.  I was using a MIDI (DIN plug) to 3.5mm TRS MIDI - but mine was a type "B" - to transmit MIDI program changes into the Boss SY-200, you need to make sure your 3/5mm MIDI cord is type "A."

• Upvote 2

I just got my SY-200 but didn't try yet the midi stuffs, so this is very interesting. I still need to buy a midi cable. I just checked and apparently most cables I see online do not explicitly state if it's type B or type A - this is annoying...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

just got my Sy 200 and I want to use the expression pedal in my Helix to remote controll the hold function of the Boss. Programm changes and midi tempo work very well.

CC changes not.

On my Boss test patch on CTL1 is the hold function and my plan was to assign this to the helix expression pedal.

The cc is set to 80 for CTL1 in the boss. In the helix I configured the CC message to the right channell an CC message 80. I set the min value to 0=off and max to 127=on. But this did not work.

If you push the button, Boss holds the tone. Toswitch off the hold you have to push the pedal up and down again.

Same behaviour on a footswitch.
Can anybody please help here.

Thanks JuRo

On 1/23/2022 at 6:59 AM, Klaim said:

I just got my SY-200 but didn't try yet the midi stuffs, so this is very interesting. I still need to buy a midi cable. I just checked and apparently most cables I see online do not explicitly state if it's type B or type A - this is annoying...

@Klaim - I totally agree.  I never even knew there was MIDI 'A' and MIDI 'B' and I have been doing MIDI stuff since 1994.  I guess there's always something new. :)

7 hours ago, JuRo1971 said:

Hi all,

just got my Sy 200 and I want to use the expression pedal in my Helix to remote controll the hold function of the Boss. Programm changes and midi tempo work very well.

CC changes not.

On my Boss test patch on CTL1 is the hold function and my plan was to assign this to the helix expression pedal.

The cc is set to 80 for CTL1 in the boss. In the helix I configured the CC message to the right channell an CC message 80. I set the min value to 0=off and max to 127=on. But this did not work.

If you push the button, Boss holds the tone. Toswitch off the hold you have to push the pedal up and down again.

Same behaviour on a footswitch.
Can anybody please help here.

Thanks JuRo

Hey JuRo1971 - I was able to get this to work- check to see if (in the SY-200) CC IN is set to "ON" - it's under MENU > MIDI.

Then, in the Helix, under MENU > Command Center, set the appropriate pedal (EXP 1 or EXP 2, or both) to CC# 80, MIN VALUE = 0, MAX VALUE =127 (or anywhere above 64).

(I think the only piece you're missing is setting CC IN to "ON.")

I was able to get mine to work perfectly doing this.  BTW, thanks, I learned how to do something new by trying this.  Let us know how it worked out for you. :)

1 hour ago, dadonaldd said:

@Klaim - I totally agree.  I never even knew there was MIDI 'A' and MIDI 'B' and I have been doing MIDI stuff since 1994.  I guess there's always something new. :)

Yeah, in doubt I got a midi cable branded from Boss, but I didn't try it yet.

No, if this is a cc problem it won't wotk at all.

My settings are excaxtly as you described!

The problem is the following:

Expected is

1. Push the Helix Pedal down (or Helix Footswitch = on) > Hold Boss Sy 200 = on

2. Push the Helix Pedal up (or Helix Footswitch = off) > Hold Boss Sy 200 = off

Current behavior is

1. Push the Helix Pedal down (or Helix Footswitch = on) > Hold Boss Sy 200 = on

2. Push the Helix Pedal up (or Helix Footswitch = off) > Hold Boss Sy 200 = remains on you have to Push the Helix Pedal down again (or Helix Footswitch = on) > to switch Hold Boss Sy 200 = off

The same then if yo want to hold the tone again. So every time you have to push the buttons twise.

Clear now?

What is also no fine when you execute the holf function via external pedal that the LED on the boss is not shining ...

@JuRo1971

Is your CC IN set to "ON"  in the Boss SY-200? (under MENU > MIDI)

If you do, maybe try changing the switch type (in the SY-200) from toggle to momentary... It's probably parameter 3 or 4, so you may have to scroll down to see it.

Mine works perfectly using the EXP pedal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes it is set to "on", otherwhise it would not react at all!

This could be the solution, searched this in the Helix but here this is not possible to assign midi cc messages to a momentary switch.

I did not saw the option to set the CTLs to momentary in the Boss so far.

But you are right just checked the manual. There is a "SW MODE" Parameter were you can switch between toggle and moment.

I will check this later an come back to you. Thanks so far!

Anyway a big disadvantge is that the LED of CTL1 is not shining when you execute the hold function with an external pedal.

mmh I set know the parameter to momentary saved the patch. Unfortunately this had now effect. I still have to pull the expression pedal multiple times to enable the hold / disable the hold function .... I had not much time for testing. I will come back here. But I don't see what I have could done  wrong anymore ...

Hi,

yippi it works now. I did a stupid mistake. I just changed the global patch settings to momentary in the BOSS. I now put sound hold on CTL 3 (CC83) and in the system setting I scrolled down to the parameter settings of CTL 3 and HERE I switch to momentary!

Now everything is fine!

Thanks for the support!

There seems to be a lot of Helix vs Boss SY vs Midi experience on this trail, so I'll pitch my question and I'd appreciate any suggestions on it please. 

I use Helix floor, and recently, an additional SY300 in a stereo FX loop from the Helix. Works well to add a subtle pseudo keyboard player or synth lead lines for my covers band.

So here's the challenge.......In adding a synth pad layer for a new song this week, I also layered in the sequencer on the SY to give it some rhythmic 'movement', but there is a section in the song where I want that sequencer switched off. I've set one of the SY Ctl footswitches to do this, but would much rather control it from a Helix foot switch with a midi message from the control centre, in the same way I have set up patch changes to happen on the SY automatically as I change patches on the Helix (I take a 'patch per song' approach to life...). So, does anyone know the approach I could take in control centre to do this, and also what Midi CC# I might use, if indeed that is the approach, or if this is even possible. The SY change we trying to do here is OSC1 SEQ ON/OFF if that helps.

Thanks as ever, you wonderful people!

@Vulture1

If I am understanding you correctly, you want to be able to turn the sequencer of the SY300 on and off from the Helix via MIDI.  It SOUNDS simple, but I may be mistaken. Please know that I don't have an SY300, so I will be speaking in general term, and I might make an incorrect assumption. Please forgive me for that, if that's the case. :)

It seems as though you will have to do the following:

1 - assign a MIDI CC number to OSC1 SEQ ON/OFF in your SY300.  (PLEASE NOTE THAT THE LATEST UPDATE TO V. 3.15 USES CC#'S 77 THROUGH 81, SO DON'T USE THOSE NUMBERS. Here is a quote from their update documentation: "Any parameters you've assigned to CC77-CC81 will have to be remapped")

2 - In the Helix Command Center, set that same CC number to the controller (switch or pedal) you want to use to make this switch.  so, CC#83 in your SY300 = CC#83 assigned to whichever control you want to use.

3 - save your patch.

4 - you MIGHT have to step on the "MODE" switch to be able to access any of the footswitches as individual controls.  I use the ToeSwitch for most things of this nature.

Hope this helps - please let us know, so we can all learn from your experience. :)

Is the SY300 used as stand alone or it is somewhere in the loop of the Helix?

1. Stand alone: Just switching the SY 300 is easy. Put a Midi PC or CC Message on a Footswitch in the Helix via Control Center.

2. SY300 in a helix loop: Create a separate path, Input is guitar, now set up a gain block and set up it to -126DB, afterwards put in the helix loop where the SY 300 is connected to, adapt the level, add additional effect blocks ...., assign the Helix output you want at the end of the path, Configure the SY 300 that patches are always "ON", configure other switching thing via Midi in the Helix control center, set up the right CC and PC Message and Midi Channel on SY300 as well as on Helix >>> The gain block can now be used to switch of and on the SY 300 :-)

Sorry for the (partially) off topic; I'd like to control effect parameters of GR55 via Helix control center BUT I don't know how (Now I can only change GR55 programs, but I'm not able to go inside a GR55 patch to assign other functions to helix switches or exp pedals). I read about CC and I figure that I should associate a control to a CC number in GR55, but I can't do it without losing the right path. So, please help me (I hope that SY 300 and GR55 midi controlling is not such a different stuff). Thanks!