Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

WOW! The Big Book of Helix Tips & Tricks

MusicLaw

I just saw that Craig Anderton's new eBook: The Big Book of Helix Tips & Tricks is available from Sweetwater Publishing. If you have not read Craig's exceptional articles posted on Sweetwater's InSync site, then you're going to be in for a real surprise. Those articles and this new Ebook are not to be missed. Plus the eBook includes over 200 absolutely useful Presets and files. 

The direct URL is: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AndertonHX-e--sweetwater-publishing-the-big-book-of-helix-tips-and-tricks

Also see: Craig's YouTube Video about the eBook

[Bonus Tip: If you use Adobe's PDR Reader, Right Click the Tools Toolbar and hover over the Navigation Tools. On the Flyout, Enable the Previous and Next Tools to display their Icon buttons on the Toolbar and allow use of the Alt+Left Arrow and Alt+Right Arrow Keyboard Shortcuts to easily jump back and forth between hyperlinks in the eBook!]

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Not gonna lie, my first reaction to this was "This reads an awful lot like a sales pitch..." And maybe it is, I dunno. But I did go watch the video and then spend the $20. So if it was one, at least it was an effective one. I've been using Helix for going on 6 years and consider myself to be a fairly "advanced" user, for lack of a better term, but the book is full of revelations and insight for me. Every page makes me want to sit down and try something. I would add my part to the sales spiel by saying, (ahem) "If you are a Helix user and are at all interested in the nuts and bolts of it, this book is a no-brainer."

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

Not gonna lie, my first reaction to this was "This reads an awful lot like a sales pitch..." And maybe it is, I dunno. But I did go watch the video and then spend the $20. So if it was one, at least it was an effective one. I've been using Helix for going on 6 years and consider myself to be a fairly "advanced" user, for lack of a better term, but the book is full of revelations and insight for me. Every page makes me want to sit down and try something. I would add my part to the sales spiel by saying, (ahem) "If you are a Helix user and are at all interested in the nuts and bolts of it, this book is a no-brainer."

I'm really glad you've found it useful! My hope was that it would inspire people to come up with their own signature sounds. 

• Upvote 5

I also purchased it and am happy with the value for $. I’ve watched the video pointed to in MusicLaw’s post so I’m sure I’m not giving anything away here. The most useful things for me in this eBook are:

- a complete description of all Helix FX and their parameters including examples and usage tips;

- a thorough description of multi-amp parallel processing with many different examples;

- enough information on EQ and it’s many applications (cab emulations, multi-band processing, …) to drown me - but all of it interesting and useful; and

- many DSP saving tips and tricks.   

All in all, many ideas, examples, and templates to bring to my own preset creation methods.

I thought the same thing about it being an ad. I am now convinced it's not. I will also add my COMPLETE ENDORSEMENT for this book. It is VERY impressive.  If you're looking for an all in one in depth document on the Helix, this is it. You don't get this info from Line 6.

53 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

I thought the same thing about it being an ad...

I think he just really likes the book...my video, on the other hand, is definitely an ad :)

It's really gratifying to know people are finding this useful. It justifies all the time I put into it.

I'm also happy that Sweetwater bought into the model of doing free "point" updates. It takes some of the pressure off me for keeping books current - I can just add on to the existing one. In that spirit, I'm open to suggestions for anything you'd like to see added to the book in the future.

• Upvote 2

@Verne-Bunsen This thread is certainly not intended as a sales pitch, and I have no vested interest in Sweetwater Publishing nor Craig's work.

As previously mentioned, I was so vastly impressed with Craig's concise and informative articles, which I previously discovered on Sweetwater's InSync site, that I was really enthusiastic to see this eBook had been recently released. Craig's ability to clearly explain useful techniques and comprehensively cover most of Helix's features & capabilities makes the Big Book a wonderful reference! 

14 hours ago, diswest said:

Is there another way to buy the book?
Sweetwater don't want send me the pdf based on my country, so I was forced to cancel my "ready to ship" order.

At the moment, the book is available only through Sweetwater because they can keep track of who bought the book, and make sure buyers are eligible for the free updates. What country are you in? There's probably some obscure legal reason. I'll ask Sweetwater what's going on.

Since the author is active in this thread, I have question regarding the Patches & the Helix in general.  Why does the volume drop to less than 1/2 when switching the output from Multi to XLR?   I have never managed to understand this. 

Into input 5 & 6 of an RME UCX.

Fireface UCX

AD, Line In 5-8, rear

• Signal to Noise ratio (SNR): 111 dB RMS unweighted, 113 dBA
  • Frequency response @ 44.1 kHz, -0.5 dB: 6 Hz - 20.6 kHz
  • Frequency response @ 96 kHz, -0.5 dB: 6 Hz - 45.3 kHz
  • Frequency response @ 192 kHz, -1 dB: -1 dB: 5 Hz - 90 kHz
  • THD: < -105 dB, < 0.0005 %
  • THD+N: < -98 dB, < 0.0012%
  • Maximum input level: +19 dBu
  • Channel separation: > 110 dB
  • Input: 6.3 mm TRS jack, electronically balanced
  • Input sensitivity switchable to Lo Gain, +4 dBu, -10 dBV
  • Input level for 0 dBFS @ Lo Gain: +19 dBu
  • Input level for 0 dBFS @ +4 dBu: +13 dBu
  • Input level for 0 dBFS @ -10 dBV: +2 dBV

DA, Line Out 1-6, rear

• Dynamic range (DR): 111 dB, 113 dBA @ 44.1 kHz (unmuted)
  • Frequency response @ 44.1 kHz, -0.1 dB: 8 Hz - 20.4 kHz
  • Frequency response @ 96 kHz, -0.5 dB: 6 Hz - 45 kHz
  • Frequency response @ 192 kHz, -1 dB: 6 Hz - 90 kHz
  • THD: -100 dB, < 0.001 %
  • THD+N: -96 dB, < 0.0015 %
  • Channel separation: > 110 dB
  • Maximum output level: +19 dBu
  • Output: 6.3 mm TRS jack, servo-balanced
  • Output impedance: 75 Ohm
  • Output level switchable: Hi Gain, +4 dBu, -10 dBV
  • Output level at 0 dBFS @ Hi Gain: +19 dBu
  • Output level at 0 dBFS @ +4 dBu: +13 dBu
  • Output level at 0 dBFS @ -10 dBV: +2 dBV

Line In 3-4, front

As AD, but:

• Additional Gain stage: 0 up to +12 dB
  • Maximum input level, Lo Gain, Gain 0 dB:
  • Line +19 dBu, Inst +13 dBu
  • Maximum input level, -10 dBV, Gain 12 dB, Line:
  • -7,5 dBu, Inst: -13,5 dBu
  • Input impedance Inst: 470 kOhm
  • Input Gain Inst: +6 dB
  • Input mode: Line balanced (TRS), Inst unbalanced (TS)
  • CLIP LED: 0 dBFS
  • SIG LED: -60 dBFS

DA - Phones, 7/8, front

As DA, but:

• Output: 6.3 mm TRS jack, unbalanced
  • Output impedance: 30 Ohm
  • Word Clock
  • BNC, switch for internal termination 75 Ohm

Microphone/Line 1-2, front

as AD Line In 5-8, but:

• Input: Neutrik XLR/TRS Combo jack, electronically balanced
  • Input impedance: XLR 2 kOhm, TRS 8 kOhm balanced
  • Signal to Noise ratio (SNR): 112 dB RMS unweighted, 115 dBA
  • Low Roll Off -0.5 dB: 18 Hz, -1 dB: 12 Hz
  • Gain range: 0 dB, +10 up to +65 dB
  • Maximum input level XLR, Gain 0 dB: +10 dBu
  • Maximum input level XLR, Gain 65 dB: -55 dBu
  • Maximum input level TRS, Gain +0 dB: +21 dBu
  • Maximum input level TRS, Gain +65 dB: -44 dBu
  • CLIP LED: 0 dBFS
  • SIG LED: -60 dBFS

Hmmm...I tried to reproduce this issue. Unfortunatley I don't have a Fireface for testing, but I sent a test tone into the Helix, and hooked up the XLR outputs to a PreSonus 1824c interface. I got the same input signal at the interface regardless of whether the output block was set to Multi or XLR. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there some step I'm missing in order to reproduce it? I do recall some posts about how if phantom power was enabled and you used the XLRs, the level dropped. Could that have anything to do with it

19 hours ago, tmingle said:

Since the author is active in this thread, I have question regarding the Patches & the Helix in general.  Why does the volume drop to less than 1/2 when switching the output from Multi to XLR?   I have never managed to understand this. 

Dumb question; is the main volume knob assigned to control all outputs or just XLR?

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2021 at 6:42 PM, tmingle said:

Why does the volume drop to less than 1/2 when switching the output from Multi to XLR?   I have never managed to understand this. 

I might be stating the obvious... I just want to make sure it's not being overlooked.

If you are monitoring both the XLR and 1/4" outs at the same time.... then whatever you are monitoring through is "summing" those parts. If you change the output to XLR only... then the 1/4" outs are no longer in play - which should "lower" the output. How much it is lowered is dependent on how your device "sums" it's inputs. 

If you are just monitoring the XLR outs, then the volume should not change when going from MULTI to XLR. I just verified this with my LT... absolutely no difference. 

• Upvote 3

On 12/29/2021 at 7:06 PM, silverhead said:

I also purchased it and am happy with the value for $. I’ve watched the video pointed to in MusicLaw’s post so I’m sure I’m not giving anything away here. The most useful things for me in this eBook are:

- a complete description of all Helix FX and their parameters including examples and usage tips;

- a thorough description of multi-amp parallel processing with many different examples;

- enough information on EQ and it’s many applications (cab emulations, multi-band processing, …) to drown me - but all of it interesting and useful; and

- many DSP saving tips and tricks.   

All in all, many ideas, examples, and templates to bring to my own preset creation methods.

Hello,

Are ALL the effects described (legacy FX included) with every parameter? Can you give an example, please?

It's something I was looking for for a long time. I may pull the trigger after your confirmation.

Are the amps also described and referred with the original base model?

Do you know if the e-book will be updated? If so, is it for free or will we need to pay?

Thanks.

Legacy FX are not described with the exception of the odd one for a specific purpose.

Amp and Cab blocks are not described.

The updates are free,

I won't include any examples here. It's up to the author to do that if he wishes. He visits this thread and may or may not provide examples. Have you wathced the advertising video posted at the top of this thread? It may contain some examples.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, khiryos said:

Are ALL the effects described (legacy FX included) with every parameter? Can you give an example, please?

It's something I was looking for for a long time. I may pull the trigger after your confirmation.

Are the amps also described and referred with the original base model?

Do you know if the e-book will be updated? If so, is it for free or will we need to pay?

Thank you for your interest! Please note an example is attached, but to clarify: 

The book is not just about describing effects parameters. Out of the 320 pages, there are about 135 pages devoted to effects parameter descriptions. For example, although individual amps and their parameters aren't described (at least, not yet), there are three chapters about different ways to create presets using the amps (e.g., bi-amping, multiband processing, how to conserve processing power so that power-hungry amps can be put in parallel, etc.) and one on cabinet techniques. For an example of some of the kinds of techniques presented in the book, please see the article Creative Ways to Get Even More Out of HX Stomp. The book expands on the topics included in this article.

I'm on the fence about whether to include the legacy effects. They've been around for so long, are fairly standard, and are often earlier versions of later/better effects included in Helix. I think including material on getting the most out of Snapshots, which the book doesn't do currently, would be more useful to more people. Helix is so deep I have to prioritize topics based on a) what people will find most useful, and b) what hasn't been covered elsewhere.

The Fluid Solo web site already has an excellent description of amps and pictures of the base models. I do plan on covering amps at some point, but selectively - i.e., concentrate on the differences in the tone stacks, how ripple, bias, and similar "mystery" controls affect the sound, and parameters that are unique to specific amps. Bear in mind the book is already 320 pages long and took a year to write. I'm concerned about keeping it as focused as possible on material that isn't available on the web, in YouTube videos, or in the manual. For example, there's a chapter on using Helix as an audio interface, and how to aggregate it with other audio interfaces.

The updates are like software. Owners of the book get "point" updates for free (e.g., like software going from version 1.1 to 1.2). If the changes are so extensive it needs a new edition, like software going from version 5 to version 6, then existing owners can get the new edition at a reduced price. However, I assume there's only so much that can be done with Helix - it's not going to do something like turn into a DAW! I doubt there will be a need for a new edition. The kind of updates Line 6 has been doing would fall under the "free update" category. The main reason for updating is to keep the book current for new buyers, so they don't get stuck with something that's obsolete a week later. Giving free updates to existing owners just seems like the right thing to do. Note that I've been using this publishing model with eBooks written for PreSonus for a couple years now, and all except for two updates were free. There are typically one or two updates a year, but Helix is different, because there will need to be an update when Line 6 releases new effects or amps.

As to providing an example, I've attached a PDF of the Multi Pass Delay description, but I'm reluctant to do so because the descriptions are all quite different. There's no "representative" example, because what needs to be covered depends on the effect. Some do pretty deep dives, like showing the harmonic distortion components graphically for the three different switch positions in Teemah, or the frequency response curves for the Retro Reel effect choices. Others are more applications-oriented, like the Sweep Echo description. Many of the 230 included presets are paired with parts of the book, so you can load the presets into Helix/HX Stomp/Native and hear what's being described. Also, common parameters are described at the beginning of sections. So for example, I could post an example of a modulation effect, but you might think some parameter descriptions are missing, because they're included in an introductory section with common parameters. So, in addition to checking out the PDF, I have two suggestions:

1. The video linked to at the top gives a good overview of what's included. 

2. Sweetwater's inSync online magazine will be publishing excerpts of effects parameter descriptions. The first excerpt has already been submitted, so it will be published soon. It includes parameter descriptions for the Cosmos Echo, Horizon Gate (which isn't really a gate, but a dynamic filter), and the Teemah distortion. It's designed to be a representative cross-section of the types of descriptions found in the book, which will give you a better idea of how the effects descriptions are handled. There will be additional excerpts included in inSync in the months ahead, especially when there are updated features to cover.

Hope this helps...

Multi-Pass Delay.pdf

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, khiryos said:

Thank you very much for all your replies and your reactivity. I now have all the info I needed. I will make a constructive feedback after reading it.

Cool, constructive feedback is what will guide future updates. For me, this recalls my days as a studio musician, and interacting with a producer who would indicate what he or she wanted me to play.

Of course, I can't take care of all users at all levels and all requests; the book is geared more to intermediate-to-advanced users. Fortunately Helix has been around for so long there's already lots of material available for those starting out.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 10:09 AM, Anderton said:

Cool, constructive feedback is what will guide future updates. For me, this recalls my days as a studio musician, and interacting with a producer who would indicate what he or she wanted me to play.

Of course, I can't take care of all users at all levels and all requests; the book is geared more to intermediate-to-advanced users. Fortunately Helix has been around for so long there's already lots of material available for those starting out.

How would you define Intermediate? I'm not sure I'm there yet. The six presets I made and use are fairly simple and each one is for a different type of music, acoustic, jazz, rock, etc., but I have stereo output to two studio monitors. I've had my Helix for 3 years and my tone adjustments have steadily improved my tone as my knowledge and ears improve. I'm fairly new to electric guitars and I have no experience with the myriad of pedals and amps except what I've learned from using a helix and reading about effects and amps. 

17 minutes ago, DugT said:

How would you define Intermediate? I'm not sure I'm there yet. The six presets I made and use are fairly simple and each one is for a different type of music, acoustic, jazz, rock, etc., but I have stereo output to two studio monitors. I've had my Helix for 3 years and my tone adjustments have steadily improved my tone as my knowledge and ears improve. I'm fairly new to electric guitars and I have no experience with the myriad of pedals and amps except what I've learned from using a helix and reading about effects and amps. 

I think you’re asking whether the ‘Big Book’ is suitable for you. I think at least the section describing the FX would be. The rest is something you might not find useful now but that you could likely grow into (multi-band processing, EQ magic, …). In any case, the value-for-cost ratio is very high.

The author, Craig Anderton, provided some comprehensive info a couple of posts prior to yours. There are a couple of points that I think are very relevant for you:

- the attached pdf file that shows his description of the quite complex Multi Pass Delay FX. If you can follow that and are motivated to experiment with it on your Helix then the details on all the other (non-Legacy) FX will be worth the cost.

- Sweetwater’s InSync online magazine will apparently be publishing other excerpts. Maybe you could keep an eye on those for a while and see if you think purchasing the complete book would be worthwhile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silverhead said:

I think you’re asking whether the ‘Big Book’ is suitable for you. I think at least the section describing the FX would be. The rest is something you might not find useful now but that you could likely grow into (multi-band processing, EQ magic, …). In any case, the value-for-cost ratio is very high.

FWIW regarding value-for-cost, the reason why it's an 320-page eBook and 230 presets/favorites package was because I felt that if someone never read the book but only used the presets, or only read the book and never used the presets, they'd still figure it was worth $19.95. Even beginners can load and enjoy presets, although I believe the "holy grail" is knowing enough to modify presets for a person's individual needs...hence the book.

Some people thought it was a mistake to do a package that combined a book and presets, and that they should have been two separate products for $19.95 each. But, I felt including the presets added value to the book, because people could read about techniques, load presets to hear the techniques, and learn enough to modify the presets if they wanted to put their own spin on things. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but in retrospect I think the book has taken attention away from the presets. Although some of them are designed specifically to complement material in the book, many of them are intended to work as stand-alone presets.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, craiganderton said:

FWIW regarding value-for-cost, the reason why it's an 320-page eBook and 230 presets/favorites package was because I felt that if someone never read the book but only used the presets, or only read the book and never used the presets, they'd still figure it was worth $19.95. Even beginners can load and enjoy presets, although I believe the "holy grail" is knowing enough to modify presets for a person's individual needs...hence the book.

Some people thought it was a mistake to do a package that combined a book and presets, and that they should have been two separate products for $19.95 each. But, I felt including the presets added value to the book, because people could read about techniques, load presets to hear the techniques, and learn enough to modify the presets if they wanted to put their own spin on things. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but in retrospect I think the book has taken attention away from the presets. Although some of them are designed specifically to complement material in the book, many of them are intended to work as stand-alone presets.

I knew, or at least suspected, it is a great value.  To tell you the truth, I think $20 isn't much money to most Helix owners. I was only concerned that I might be overwhelmed by all of the presets and the 320 page book because of my relative inexperience.  I was afraid I'd spend hours being overwhelmed by all of it before I realized my time would be better spent learning more Helix or effects basics. Anyway, I downloaded the Multi-Pass Delay file above and the explanation was excellent. Sold. Thank you for the explanation. It sounds like I should start by using presets, maybe a couple of them per day,  and use the book as more of a reference book. 

Hello all, I've bought the book on the basis of this thread and I'm very impressed. I'm a brand new user (bought a Helix Floor just before Christmas) and although this book isn't pitched at novices, it's helping me immensely to build some strucure for my initial "well I've bought it and plugged it in, NOW what do I do??" quandary, and also to accelerate me through the learning curve. I'm about 100 pages in so I'm still reading about the various effects, and I haven't got near playing with the supplied presets yet, which I'm really looking forward to. As context, I have a young child and no dedicated space to keep the Helix set up, so time to play and experiment is limited, so it's great that I can pick up the book and read a section when I have 15 minutes without actually having the unit to hand.

I have no affiliation with the author (I'm not even on the same continent) but I sincerely hope he sells lots of copies to repay the investment of his time - and selfishly for me, so that he has an incentive to publish updates!

I do have one dumb question. The author deliberately doesn't cover legacy effects but does encourage the reader to try them. Are there any other resources which cover them in this type of detail? If they're legacy effects, where were they originally included - perhaps the documentation of that unit(s) is worth a look? I had originally assumed they were all Helix originals, but looking at the user manual that's clearly not the case other than the reverbs. Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, jpspoons said:

I do have one dumb question. The author deliberately doesn't cover legacy effects but does encourage the reader to try them. Are there any other resources which cover them in this type of detail? If they're legacy effects, where were they originally included - perhaps the documentation of that unit(s) is worth a look? I had originally assumed they were all Helix originals, but looking at the user manual that's clearly not the case other than the reverbs. Thanks in advance!

https://line6.com/data/6/0a060b316ac34f0593fabe278/application/pdf/M13/M9/M5 FX Parameters - English ( Rev B ).pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jpspoons said:

I have no affiliation with the author (I'm not even on the same continent) but I sincerely hope he sells lots of copies to repay the investment of his time - and selfishly for me, so that he has an incentive to publish updates!

First, I'm glad you're happy with the book.  :)

Second, my incentive to publish updates is that I think it's a good publishing model. For sure, there will be updates when new effects and such appear. If the book is successful enough, then I'll be able to expand the book into other areas of Helix functionality, not just update it. Mostly I'd want to concentrate on live performance, which I haven't been able to do since starting the book, because live performance came to halt with the pandemic.

I'd also like to think that if people are happy with the Helix book, then they'll want to check out my other eBooks.

Oh, by the way, one person wanted to know if user Anderton and CraigAnderton are the same person. Yes, they're both me. I work on several computers and they have different defaults. I suppose I should clean that up to avoid any confusion.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, craiganderton said:

Oh, by the way, one person wanted to know if user Anderton and CraigAnderton are the same person. Yes, they're both me. I work on several computers and they have different defaults. I suppose I should clean that up to avoid any confusion.

Yeah, at some point while reading your replies, was obvious so I deleted the post to avoid possible misunderstandings (wasnt polemic, just curious). Thanks!

33 minutes ago, PierM said:

Yeah, at some point while reading your replies, was obvious so I deleted the post to avoid possible misunderstandings (wasnt polemic, just curious). Thanks!

I took it as doing me a favor! I wouldn't want someone impersonating me, or have people thinking that some posts were from Anderton's music and some posts from me or whatever. And it reminded me to get my defaults squared away :)  BTW I always enjoy your posts. 

• Like 1

I'm loving the book, great info. However, the .FAV files supplied will not Import...tried on LT / Stomp and Native. Looking in a text editor, they are different format to my existing .FAV files ? I am fully updated with latest firmware.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Rocles said:

I'm loving the book, great info. However, the .FAV files supplied will not Import...tried on LT / Stomp and Native. Looking in a text editor, they are different format to my existing .FAV files ? I am fully updated with latest firmware.

Thanks.

Hi Rocles, good to see a fellow newbie in the UK! The .FAV files worked for me in Native; I clicked on Favourites / Import and then pointed at the directory called "Chapter 11 Favourites" and selected all files (CTRL+A in Windows) - apologies if that's exactly what you've tried already.

2 hours ago, jpspoons said:

Hi Rocles, good to see a fellow newbie in the UK! The .FAV files worked for me in Native; I clicked on Favourites / Import and then pointed at the directory called "Chapter 11 Favourites" and selected all files (CTRL+A in Windows) - apologies if that's exactly what you've tried already.

Hi, having tried that before, didnt work. Just tried it now, it works ! Thanks :)