Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New amp and I am not getting the tones I need

MuffinheadJim

I have a question about a problem I have. I got a new amp for Christmas. It is a Stage right 40 watt combo amp, https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611800...
the presets don't sound like they should. I am not getting the overdrive sounds that I should be getting. I have the PG plugged into the fx return jack. What am I doing wrong? Help please! I got great overdrive and distortion sounds from my old Carvin AG100D.

Where are you plugging into Pod Go - Main Out or Amp out?  Amp out is for the front of the amp, so if you are going through the FX return you should be going through the Pod Go main out.  If you've been using Pod Go with headphones and it's set to line, change the Pod Go main out from line to instrument.  If you're going through FX return of a real amp, you might want to turn your cab models off.  Check you have the latest v1.30 firmware ( if you don't, you should upgrade your Pod Go through Pod Go Edit - your firmware will be displayed in the kidney bean at start up). v1.30 gives certain new features relating to the amp/mains out so you can use the Pod Go main volume or not.  

You could also experiment with your Pod Go through the front of your amp. There are no rules as to whether you keep cab models or turn them off, or go through the front of an amp or the fx return, or use 4-cable method - it's all down to which works best for you.  Pod Go can be set up in a variety of ways. Read the manual for connections and settings options with a guitar amp (p8 & 36/37 in the latest Pod Go Wireless manual v1.20 Rev D - there isn't yet a v1.30 manual)

• Like 1

I would recommend using the amp out. Also visit the System Settings to insure the Amp Out is configured to be PRE/IR. I think this is the default, but I am not sure. When you pull up presets, you will need to make a small adjustment and move the CAB block to the end of the chain. If you don't, then you will not hear the post effects (after the cab block). Basically you are getting the pre cab signal to your amp...The color of tone will be marked by however that 10" speaker sounds and being open back low end can get a bit strange depending on the room placement....Should be ok starting place tho...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, spaceatl said:

I would recommend using the amp out. Also visit the System Settings to insure the Amp Out is configured to be PRE/IR. I think this is the default, but I am not sure. When you pull up presets, you will need to make a small adjustment and move the CAB block to the end of the chain. If you don't, then you will not hear the post effects (after the cab block). Basically you are getting the pre cab signal to your amp...The color of tone will be marked by however that 10" speaker sounds and being open back low end can get a bit strange depending on the room placement....Should be ok starting place tho...

I'm unclear why you would recommend that route.  Main Out (balanced or unbalanced signal) and Amp Out (unbalanced only) use the same signal.  Surely you'd only use amp out with the set up you describe when you plug into the front of the amp and where you want to split the signal between both a guitar amp and a mixer where with the amp you don't want a cab model but through the mixer you do.  In other words amp out allows the cab model to be 'tapped off'?  With Main Out, you can turn the cab on/off to taste without having to re-organise every patch, and then have to put the cab back when you go through headphones.

"Choose “Main Out” if you want the POD Go AMP OUT jack to echo the MAIN OUTS (except in mono); choose “Pre Cab/IR” if you want the AMP OUT jack to be tapped off directly before the Cab/IR block (and therefore, would not include the Cab/IR block or any blocks after it). This way, you can send a cab-emulated signal to your powered speakers (or mixer) while simultaneously sending a non-cab-emulated signal straight into your guitar amp."

" AMP OUT This unbalanced output is meant to send directly to the front of your guitar amp. By default, it reflects the same output as the MAIN outputs (except in mono), but it can be globally switched to be tapped off directly before the Cab/IR block. This way, you can send a cab-emulated signal to your mixer (or FRFR speaker) while simultaneously sending a non-cab-emulated signal to your guitar amp. "

I'm struggling to understand what advantage amp out would have over main out when connecting Pod Go to an amp FX return where you are only using the amp as a power amp?  By using main out and simply turning the cab model off in a preset you can experiment between hearing the amps own 10" speaker on its own, or combined with a cab model. Adding a cab model eg a 4x12, can sound good even if coloured through a 10" speaker.   

It's worth noting the following: If the PHONES jack is connected, the MAIN OUT jacks will always be stereo, regardless of whether or not the RIGHT out is connected. If you put the cab/IR block at the end of the signal chain, it collapses the whole signal chain to mono by default.   Through a mono guitar amp you won't get stereo anyway, but a stereo signal into a mono amp could still give some differences with certain effects. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 6:19 AM, voxman55 said:

I'm unclear why you would recommend that route.  Main Out (balanced or unbalanced signal) and Amp Out (unbalanced only) use the same signal.  Surely you'd only use amp out with the set up you describe when you plug into the front of the amp and where you want to split the signal between both a guitar amp and a mixer where with the amp you don't want a cab model but through the mixer you do.  In other words amp out allows the cab model to be 'tapped off'?  With Main Out, you can turn the cab on/off to taste without having to re-organise every patch, and then have to put the cab back when you go through headphones.

"Choose “Main Out” if you want the POD Go AMP OUT jack to echo the MAIN OUTS (except in mono); choose “Pre Cab/IR” if you want the AMP OUT jack to be tapped off directly before the Cab/IR block (and therefore, would not include the Cab/IR block or any blocks after it). This way, you can send a cab-emulated signal to your powered speakers (or mixer) while simultaneously sending a non-cab-emulated signal straight into your guitar amp."

" AMP OUT This unbalanced output is meant to send directly to the front of your guitar amp. By default, it reflects the same output as the MAIN outputs (except in mono), but it can be globally switched to be tapped off directly before the Cab/IR block. This way, you can send a cab-emulated signal to your mixer (or FRFR speaker) while simultaneously sending a non-cab-emulated signal to your guitar amp. "

I'm struggling to understand what advantage amp out would have over main out when connecting Pod Go to an amp FX return where you are only using the amp as a power amp?  By using main out and simply turning the cab model off in a preset you can experiment between hearing the amps own 10" speaker on its own, or combined with a cab model. Adding a cab model eg a 4x12, can sound good even if coloured through a 10" speaker.   

It's worth noting the following: If the PHONES jack is connected, the MAIN OUT jacks will always be stereo, regardless of whether or not the RIGHT out is connected. If you put the cab/IR block at the end of the signal chain, it collapses the whole signal chain to mono by default.   Through a mono guitar amp you won't get stereo anyway, but a stereo signal into a mono amp could still give some differences with certain effects. 

I recommended the AMP OUT PRE IR approach because the OP stated he is using the FX return of a conventional guitar amp. Not sure why the manual says it is intended for the front of the amp. Sounds like a noob line. It's a complex subject and highly subjective based on various needs and preferences...But it does not even matter...Sure use the front...all the matters is that the AMP output level and tap point are set correctly for the situation. Even then it is subjective...

I ran the similar for over a year...Most of the time performing on FRFR.....When I was in a provided backline situation, I changed the AMP OUT from MAIN to PRE IR and use whatever is provided. CAB block always at the end of my chain...My patches are checked for summation...So my suggestion is based on my own experience and workflows...I tweak for FRFR on the main outs....The amp out settings change based on the situation and the cab block is always at the end of the chain as I always run direct, but my monitoring changes. I suppose the advantage for me is that it worked really well and I did not need separate patches...Simplified my workflow and gave me better results...anyway, that's my own personal rationale. It's a simple approach that worked great for me and the dedicated AMP OUT is the one GO feature that I miss the most since moving to HX...Sure I can do it, but it costs a block and part of the FX Loop on HX....