Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

slimming down 2 necks

I have a Variax 700 and a JTV69s - love 'em both, but would like to get closer to a Slim 60s tapered D neck, like my Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top Pro. Any ideas or advice on how much wood I can safely

remove on these two necks before truss rod issues?  I'm thinking about an eighth of an inch roughly..........

Am I crazy?

Thanks!

On 12/28/2021 at 3:47 PM, cubbini said:

Am I crazy?

If you're an accomplished luthier, no. If you think you can just grab a plane and some sandpaper and eyeball it,  having never done this sort of thing before, then yes... and it's very possible that you'll destroy the neck.

For the 69 however, there is a much  simpler fix that's guaranteed not to ruin anything beyond repair. Buy any Strat replacement neck in the known universe, with whatever profile twirls your beanie, and problem solved. The heel dimensions are identical to the stock neck and aside from having to deal with the one offset mounting hole (which will have to be doweled and re-drilled), it's a drop in replacement.