Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X & Headphone Impedance & preamp

Segomil

Hi, 
I own the ATH-M50x that do no match at all with my HD500X ... the volume headphone out is 3 times the volume of my monitors (Eris 8) which are connected also to my HD500X (XLR out) ... 
I only have the HD500X as audio interface which have no independent volume for the headphone ... it's very dangerous for the ears !
**i know** 
If i understand well ... if i go for a new Headphone with high impedance as example 250 ohms the sound will be less loud (less volume) ? ... This is the kind of solution i search !
I don't want to buy and other interface.
I want to have the same volume in or from my DAW ... on my Eris 8 monitors & on my ATH-M50x headphone !
**i can't afford an other interface & a new headphone at the same time** ... i have to find a solution !

...Oh by the way ... how are the preamp microphone of the HD500X compare the modern interface ?

Any suggestions are welcome, 
Thanks again

Regarding high impedance headphones I can confirm that they sound softer than low impedance headphones and therefore require a higher volume setting in comparison.

But,... probably the perceived volume difference between your headphones and monitors is mainly due to a reason you haven't still considered.

Your monitor inputs are designed for LINE-type (i.e. strong) signals, but POD's XLR outputs are capable of providing only MIC-type (i.e. weak) signals.

Therefore, with the same setting of the Master knob, the headphones will always receive a stronger signal than the monitors connected to the XLRs.

The solution is to connect instead the 1/4" jack outputs to the monitors and set the 1/4" Out switch (next to the pedal) to LINE.

By doing so, the volume perceived through the headphones and the monitors will be much more similar to each other, and the signal/noise ratio of the monitors will improve too, and they will work more efficiently.

On 12/30/2021 at 7:44 PM, hurghanico said:

The solution is to connect instead the 1/4" jack outputs to the monitors and set the 1/4" Out switch (next to the pedal) to LINE.

By doing so, the volume perceived through the headphones and the monitors will be much more similar to each other, and the signal/noise ratio of the monitors will improve too, and they will work more efficiently.

Oh thanks Hurghanico , it's exactly that !
It work perfectly .. a little bit noise on the right monitor *Eris 8* ... & yet 1/4 cables are the same !

I did exactly your solution.

Thanks !

I made an other post about the preamp quality of the HD500X (which is old) for voice & if i have to get a new interface like the Motu M4 to combine with the HD500X to get a better sound !

Thanks guys