Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.0 It's Been A While

Is it the end of support for JTV?

2.0 made a lot of peoples unhappy. It have some issue when switching pick ups with strat (many had to tweak), bad string volumes on some models many bugs can occur when updating firmware so many peoples had to reflash.

And my other irritant: You can't use workbench HD through HD500, you had to use a standard guitare cable. Thoses things are suppose to work togheter and that's why I bough a dream rig.

Well I'm still 100% satisfy with my dream rig and I learned to work with 2.0 but I feel abandoned.

I'm not here since a long time but is it usual to not have an update after all thoses months?

• Upvote 3

Everything happens in cycles, they move their resources from project to project.. it seems.

I think they are concentrating on the Amplifi stuff at the moment, but they have not abandoned the variax.

(all based on my understanding and not an official reply)

• Upvote 3

I want my 2.1 firmware YESTERDAY!!!!! Preferably hand delivered and uploaded by Line 6 personnel. I'd also like them to bring me a pony...a white one.

So is this thread gonna be the Reader's Digest version of all the other whiney ones, or will we be covering new ground here?

Is it the end of support for JTV?

2.0 made a lot of peoples unhappy. It have some issue when switching pick ups with strat (many had to tweak), bad string volumes on some models many bugs can occur when updating firmware so many peoples had to reflash.

And my other irritant: You can't use workbench HD through HD500, you had to use a standard guitare cable. Thoses things are suppose to work togheter and that's why I bough a dream rig.

Well I'm still 100% satisfy with my dream rig and I learned to work with 2.0 but I feel abandoned.

I'm not here since a long time but is it usual to not have an update after all thoses months?

I have yet to purchase JTV or HD500 yet, but have been spending a lot of time checking out reviews/problems people have on them.  Right now with my Spider Valve and FBV shortboard I can connect to my PC and edit everthing and play it through my amp while still connected.  Are you saying that you can't do that with the JTV and HD500?

I have yet to purchase JTV or HD500 yet, but have been spending a lot of time checking out reviews/problems people have on them.  Right now with my Spider Valve and FBV shortboard I can connect to my PC and edit everthing and play it through my amp while still connected.  Are you saying that you can't do that with the JTV and HD500?

You can but you need to plug hd500 via usb to pc, then use another usb interface to plug the vdi guitar cable to computer and then... take a 1/4 guitar wire to plug you guitar to your hd500 input hoping it's exactly the same output than the vdi cable.

So yes it's possible but it's dumb. In september 2013 it was ok for me because it's a small feature they forgot in a big patch but 6-7 months later without a single update, I feel abandoned.

Line 6 +++ are with compatibility of their stuff with the awsome L6 link. I can't beleive they havent fixed that yet when you can see your guitar in line 6 monkey through hd500

• Upvote 4

I don't care about amplifi or stuff for childrens. A company should never totaly leave leave his FLAGSHIP stuff to work on gadgets...

Yup, I've definitely seen this movie...  :P

Agreed! - i still have my 2004 Vetta Combo and Variax 500 that were "the dream rig" 10 years ago - both now abandoned.  Its getting tough to find support for any gear older than 5 years. And remember The JTV will be 5 years old later this year.

• Upvote 2

Agreed! - i still have my 2004 Vetta Combo and Variax 500 that were "the dream rig" 10 years ago - both now abandoned.  Its getting tough to find support for any gear older than 5 years. And remember The JTV will be 5 years old later this year.

Ouch already? Too bad I haven't played thoses before last year :(

Agreed! - i still have my 2004 Vetta Combo and Variax 500 that were "the dream rig" 10 years ago - both now abandoned. Its getting tough to find support for any gear older than 5 years. And remember The JTV will be 5 years old later this year.

And at the pace at which technology changes, that 5 year interval is likely to get shorter and shorter. We can all lament this fact until we're blue in the face, but it won't change. Stuff will become obsolete faster and faster, and companies will move on to the next Big Thing just as fast. Those that don't will disappear. Unless of course they've been annointed with "classic" status, in which case they can go on making the same tired old crap decade after decade which people will continue to buy because its "tradition".

• Upvote 2

Discontinued doesn't mean you can't still  use it!  Last time I checked, my original pod still worked.  No I don't use it anymore but it works.  So does my other old electronic stuff that is outdated and replaced by more modern stuff.  The counter example is my collection of tube amps that I have built from 50's and 60's schematics.  But they are orders of magnitude simpler than anything Line6 ever produced.

• Upvote 1

Thought JTV was released in 2011? That's not 5 years, that's 3. 

Hopefully they'll fix the bugs, and yet there's bugs. I'm not talking about people whining about how they think the strat sounds, I'm talking about the pickup editing in workbench and the string volume. Those are legit complaints. 

They wouldn't abandon the JTV btw, it's going incredibly strong. They wouldn't have made all these updates and new JTVs just to abandon it a year later.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thought JTV was released in 2011? That's not 5 years, that's 3.

The JTV was announced in March 2010. It took a while for them to start shipping then. The HD500 was released in September 2010. But in case, I don' expect them to be discontinued anytime soon.

The JTV was announced in March 2010. It took a while for them to start shipping then. The HD500 was released in September 2010. But in case, I don' expect them to be discontinued anytime soon.

No way. You don't strike a deal with a luthier just to discontinue the product 3-4 years later. I'm sure the JTV will last for a long while.

Pure speculation on my part, but Line 6 looks to me like a company that was financially stressed. You can't make 1 good JTV out of every three made and still make money. I feel this is what happened at the beginning of the JTV production run. That had to cost them a lot of money. Again just me thinking out loud, I have nothing to back any of that up. Being a private company you'll never really know.

Seems like the JTV is still making great headway as far as sales. I just kids wish they would leave the workbench and all that stuff along so we can just build out tones and get the community going.  The AMPLIFI will only further enhance the JTV experience and stimulate more sales. 

My JTV has always worked perfectly, just sayin'.

I am glad they made workbench HD. The interface is so much better and more intuitive.   It also better in regard to performance and stability.   Not to mention, it resembles HD Edit as well so it gives their software products a similar interface.  Which makes sense in any development world.   I hope they continue updating it along with the Firmwares to go along with it.  I was a little surprised there isn't a SG in the library of guitars and a few other would be nice as well.

I just bought my JTV59 about two weeks ago and I first started using the original Workbench.   It was very kludgey and that is an understatment IMO.  Having to open up different windows and everything about it was minor league ( I am on OSX, so not sure if that is different than the Windoze version ).   WB HD was a HUGE step forward.   A piece of software where you don't need to read a manual to get going is good programming, IMO.  Yes it helps to RTFM and I do, but to be able to get most of what I needed to do immediately without doing that is great.   

Granted I do have a ton of experience with HD Edit.  But that goes back to the smart idea of having applications with similar interface like the rest of a family of apps.  

Now of course there is the whole USB connectivty through the POD which makes things cumbersome and bulky (taking up a second USB port, extra cable etc) and the fact it has been 8 months and no resolution is bothersome.   Maybe not address the other issues in FW2 and WBHD, but at least fix the USB connectivity as they obviously know how to do it since they did before.

Also, for my situation I have no need for the Amplifi product as I already have all the effects and amp modeling I need with the HD500.   The DT25 is currently on my radar as my next big purchase and I think it will be a great addition for my setup when I play outside of Church with buddies and/or at other venues.  I plug straight into PA at Church.  They like keeping stage volume down and keep the stage foot prints down as much as possible.  I am also looking at a StageSource possibly as well, but think the Tube PowerAmp section would be sweeter for me as I play mostly electric and don't need many options for Acoustic and if I did I could always route that straight to PA anyway.  Plus the DT25 is a sweet sounding amp in it's own right without anything else.  So could always use it and a few pedals if I need to.

Anyway, I am all for a company pushing their products forward and getting every drop of functionality out of them while creating new products as well.   Perhaps their development team are stretched too thin currently, but still 8 months I would hope the connectivity issues should have been flagged as a priority.

Seems like the JTV is still making great headway as far as sales. I just kids wish they would leave the workbench and all that stuff along so we can just build out tones and get the community going.  The AMPLIFI will only further enhance the JTV experience and stimulate more sales. 

My JTV has always worked perfectly, just sayin'.

• Upvote 1

I don't care about amplifi or stuff for childrens. A company should never totaly leave leave his FLAGSHIP stuff to work on gadgets...

Sorry but I just didn't agree with this post, or at least from what I'm interpreting from it.

It sounds like you're calling amplifi and all their other products children toys. Really? I'm not too wowed by Amplify but it's not a children's toy.

They're not abandoning the JTV, and obviously they can't work on stuff all at once like you want them to. They're selling products, not 1 product. 

Calm down please. :/

Im a new user having only got my JTV89 about a month ago so I suppose you could say Im approaching it with fresh ears. Mine came shipped with 1.71. I upgraded to 2 immediately and love it. After reading this forum I tried both 1.71 and 1.9 and can only say I much prefer 2.0. Sounds just like my Les Paul Standard and Strat (after tweaking the strat settings in workbench as discussed in this forum)

I agree with you both. I exaggerated a bit it's not a toy for childrens. It's more like spider series for teenagers or adult budget stuff a bit better I guess. I still enjoy my spider 4 15w for my childrens students at school tho but that's not the point.

The point was 8 months is too long without official statement. period

I want my 2.1 firmware YESTERDAY!!!!! Preferably hand delivered and uploaded by Line 6 personnel. I'd also like them to bring me a pony...a white one.

So is this thread gonna be the Reader's Digest version of all the other whiney ones, or will we be covering new ground here?

Well, to be fair...if you have genuine issues with a firmware update, it isn't exactly whining to want them to be addressed.  On th other hand, any EXTRA models they may provide are in my understanding voluntary, as is the upgrade to firmware v2.0.  Many here have apparently stuck with firmware v1.9 I am told....

• Upvote 1

I agree with you both. I exaggerated a bit it's not a toy for childrens. It's more like spider series for teenagers or adult budget stuff a bit better I guess. I still enjoy my spider 4 15w for my childrens students at school tho but that's not the point.

The point was 8 months is too long without official statement. period

I agree 8 is pretty long. The Workbench HD pickup issue should have been fixed a long time ago.

• Upvote 2