Jump to content

Is there an effect-specific manual out there?


boynigel
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is there a manual out there that describes what each parameter knob does specific to the selected effect model, for ALL effects?  Obviously this isn’t needed for models like tube screamers and other self-explanatory effects, but there are many that I wish had manuals specific to them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, silverhead said:

Yes it covers v3.1, including the new amp and FX in that release. There's also a promise of free doc updates as the firmware is updated.

 

There will indeed be free updates for registered book owners (you download the updates when they're ready from your Sweetwater account). I've done several eBooks for PreSonus, and all of them have been updated at least once, so you can expect the same here. The only downside for some people is that the books are download-only, because updates wouldn't be feasible with print. (Also note that if a book changes so much it becomes a new edition, existing book owners can get it at a reduced price.)

 

If you want to see the way Helix effects are handled in the book, inSync is going to publish an excerpt later this month. Also, Metallikid asked on this forum why the Retro Reel seemed to reduce highs and add bass, so I put some info from the book in the Retro Reel thread. The book goes into more detail, but the post will give you an idea of how much I enjoy going down rabbit holes :)  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Craig, sold. 

1 hour ago, Anderton said:

 

There will indeed be free updates for registered book owners (you download the updates when they're ready from your Sweetwater account). I've done several eBooks for PreSonus, and all of them have been updated at least once, so you can expect the same here. The only downside for some people is that the books are download-only, because updates wouldn't be feasible with print. (Also note that if a book changes so much it becomes a new edition, existing book owners can get it at a reduced price.)

 

If you want to see the way Helix effects are handled in the book, inSync is going to publish an excerpt later this month. Also, Metallikid asked on this forum why the Retro Reel seemed to reduce highs and add bass, so I put some info from the book in the Retro Reel thread. The book goes into more detail, but the post will give you an idea of how much I enjoy going down rabbit holes :)  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does the book do any deep diving on the EQ blocks? I'd like to see a graphical representation of what they do. For example, if I use the 10 band EQ block and boost 2khz by 8dB - is it a spike or a curve? I'd also like to see what the Q values of the parametric EQ look like. How wide is the range of frequencies affected by a Q=0.2 vs Q=0.9. This info would speed up my preset building and aid me in my crazy tone matching obsession :)

 

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, mritt said:

Does the book do any deep diving on the EQ blocks? I'd like to see a graphical representation of what they do. For example, if I use the 10 band EQ block and boost 2khz by 8dB - is it a spike or a curve? I'd also like to see what the Q values of the parametric EQ look like. How wide is the range of frequencies affected by a Q=0.2 vs Q=0.9. This info would speed up my preset building and aid me in my crazy tone matching obsession :)

 

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.


Great question, and thank you for commenting. The treatment of EQ in the book is almost certainly not as deep a dive as you would like, because my goal was to emphasize aspects specific to Helix (the Helix EQs are relatively conventional). Although I did include graphics that show various EQ curves, they were more about emphasizing the differences among the various Helix EQs than going deep into one particular EQ.

 

If you want a deep dive into EQ, you should probably pass on the book for now (although there are some sections, like using EQ for cabinet emulation, that you might find helpful). But as mentioned, there will be updates. The sense I get from some people is they'd like everything in one place, and not have to look elsewhere for information on traditional subjects, like different types of EQ. I think that's a valid point. My concern has been that a book with 320 pages is intimidating enough, let alone one with more pages...but if no one minds lots of pages, hey, I'm up for it!

 

Given the importance of EQ, and how much I use it in creating presets, your comments make sense. I can't guarantee there will be more information on EQ in the next free update, but I can't guarantee there won't be, either. It depends on what people want. That said, a lot of available info on EQ is not guitar-specific, so this book could provide that kind of information.

 

Thanks again for your input!! I'm relying on Helix users to find out direction the updates should take, beyond the obvious (e.g., firmware changes).

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for your prompt reply. I really hope you put this info in an update. There seems to be bit of difference even among the programs I use regarding the shape of the EQ curves with the same values.

Thanks again.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, mritt said:

Does the book do any deep diving on the EQ blocks? I'd like to see a graphical representation of what they do. For example, if I use the 10 band EQ block and boost 2khz by 8dB - is it a spike or a curve? I'd also like to see what the Q values of the parametric EQ look like. How wide is the range of frequencies affected by a Q=0.2 vs Q=0.9. This info would speed up my preset building and aid me in my crazy tone matching obsession :)

 

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

 

This is not difficult to do yourself... providing you have a DAW. 

  • If you own Helix Native it is particularly easy... just insert it on a track and pump some pink noise through it. 
  • If you don't own native you need to route some pink noise through the Helix, then view the results in the DAW. 
  • Most DAWs can generate pink noise and will have an EQ or Spectrum monitor to view the results in. 

I had to do this with the HD500 I owned prior to a Helix.... mostly because Line 6 got silly in the HD and most of the EQ's only had % values, you had no idea what frequencies you were adjusting let alone by how much. I'm into using my ears, but that was ridiculous :) 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, codamedia said:

 

This is not difficult to do yourself... providing you have a DAW. 

  • If you own Helix Native it is particularly easy... just insert it on a track and pump some pink noise through it. 
  • If you don't own native you need to route some pink noise through the Helix, then view the results in the DAW. 
  • Most DAWs can generate pink noise and will have an EQ or Spectrum monitor to view the results in. 

 

Great advice, that's what I did to generate images of EQ responses in the book. The attached image is what I used to show how the Helix parametric EQ can affect the frequency response.

 

However, if you want a really deep dive on EQ in general, check out the article Understanding EQ Curves – Why Identical EQ Settings Can Sound Different. I think you'll find the section that starts with "Enter the Noise" to be particularly useful. This is the kind of approach I would take in any update involving the Helix EQ.

EQ Curve.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, codamedia said:

 

This is not difficult to do yourself... providing you have a DAW. 

  • If you own Helix Native it is particularly easy... just insert it on a track and pump some pink noise through it. 
  • If you don't own native you need to route some pink noise through the Helix, then view the results in the DAW. 
  • Most DAWs can generate pink noise and will have an EQ or Spectrum monitor to view the results in. 

I had to do this with the HD500 I owned prior to a Helix.... mostly because Line 6 got silly in the HD and most of the EQ's only had % values, you had no idea what frequencies you were adjusting let alone by how much. I'm into using my ears, but that was ridiculous :) 

 

Thanks you for the excellent idea. I don't own Native but I will definitely try out the pink noise test today. That's a genius idea. I've been trying for months to figure out a way of generating a test tone for such an experiment. Thanks.

 

 

Quote

 

Great advice, that's what I did to generate images of EQ responses in the book. The attached image is what I used to show how the Helix parametric EQ can affect the frequency response.

 

However, if you want a really deep dive on EQ in general, check out the article Understanding EQ Curves – Why Identical EQ Settings Can Sound Different. I think you'll find the section that starts with "Enter the Noise" to be particularly useful. This is the kind of approach I would take in any update involving the Helix EQ.

 

Thank you very much for the detailed info. That is exactly what I meant with my original EQ question.You have some fantastic bits of info in that article. I liked it so much, I just purchased the Helix book. Thank you very much!

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...