Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which IR is missing?

dmccorkle911

Newbie so please abuse if you need.

When I import new presets, some say they are missing various IR's.  I imported a few from the forum but how do I determine what IR is missing in a given preset?

Example:  I downloaded the EVH 1 from the forum and here is what is says.

The IR's associated with the following blocks in the preset could not be found in the impulse library.

Path 2A, position 3

How do I tell what IR I need to download?

Thanks

helix01.jpg

2 hours ago, dmccorkle911 said:

The answer is: Without any further information from the patch creator, you don't.

One of the biggest omissions in the Helix' IR management. And IMO almost inacceptable (just that there's no way around in case you want to use the Helix). Also, it could be solved quite easily. HX Edit should just tell you which IR is missing and should also offer a search function (on your computers storage devices). Just what each and every software sampler is doing since decades by now.

That said, you can start with the free Allure IRs. Marshall amp? '67 Brit Greenback.

Panama? '90s Cali V30.

Of course, you COULD try the stock cabs. Even though the tone junkies will say they suck, lots of people like them.

Play around with the Dual Cab Block, different cab combinations, mics and distances.

If you listen with your ears, as opposed to reading the 10,000 opinions you'll get on the forums, you just MIGHT save yourself a whole lot of money and actually have time to play yer guitar!

Because beyond the Allure Pack, you're entering the rabbit hole of IRs. Some of the thousands of free IRs are good.

Some of the major vendors offer free sample packs. Rewirez offers a free Basketweave (Marshall GB25) that's nice, and they have a free basic "How to Use IRs" primer that you can learn a lot from.

I've tried a lot of IR vendors. While I like Redwirez, their packs are really meant for experienced users who have a background in mic'ing cabs ITRW.

If you're into METAL, the Ownhammer packs are very popular with the METAL crowd.

I like the York Audio packs. To my ears, much more "articulate" sounding. They offer a free basic MB 212 pack you can try.

As stated above, try the stock cabs. DL the Redwirez "How to" primer and mess around with the stock cabs before you start throwing money at IRs. I bought dozens of packs (many THOUSANDS of individual IRs) that fill a rather large directory on my HD, and mostly never get used.

• Like 1

I downloaded the free Gods_Cab_1.4 but it has several choices.  Which would you recommend.  Here is the following structure.

44.1, 48, 96

under each of these directories are the following

1.0_Legacy_IRs, C414, SM7B, SM57, U87

Personally, I'd either go for the onboard cabs and check the mic options or download the free RedWirez teaser pack (all you need to do is to subscribe to their newsletter, which you can of course unsubscribe from), the supplied Marshall cab IRs are pretty good IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dmccorkle911 said:

I downloaded the free Gods_Cab_1.4 but it has several choices.  Which would you recommend.  Here is the following structure.

44.1, 48, 96

under each of these directories are the following

1.0_Legacy_IRs, C414, SM7B, SM57, U87

Your Helix is, by default, 48k. Check Global Settings>Ins/Outs to be sure that's how it's set.

If you DL a pack that has the option, choose 48/24.

The two folders under each mic selection are TS (tube screamer engaged) or NO TS (no tube screamer). Start with NO TS.

The most commonly used mic is the SM57. From the manual (good idea to read it, as well as the Redwirez primer I mentioned):

Load a God’s Cab IR - Try 57_1_inch_edge_pres_3.wav as a starting point.

Once you've learned a bit about mics and mic placements, you'll have a better idea what to do next.

I'm going to repeat my recommendation to DL the FREE York Audio MB212 pack. Rather than running haphazardly through a pack which requires KNOWLEDGE, you'll be able to start with the MIXES. Justin (the YA creator) has a great ear. These might be all you need for your first year or two of using IRs :-) .

EDIT: Sascha and I don't agree on very much :-) , but if you noticed, we both recommended that you have a whack at the stock cabs. If nothing else, playing with the different cabs and mics will give you a general idea how different mics and distances affect the sound of a cab.

• Like 2

IR management could be better - yes - it is clear the Helix designers in the early stages expected you would probably use the inbuilt cabs and IRs were just an "extra" option - so not fantastically implemented.  I suspect this is a design issue as a good solution has not happened and probably would have if the possibility were there in the core software design.

For personal management, it's up to you to do some form of sane file management - like giving your IRs a number so you know which slot to put them in.

But, really guys, it's totally academic and not worth getting excited about!

Given all the parameters that can affect your tone and the result that things will sound totally different on different systems - any logical IR is a good starting point.

That's kind of what a few people above who suggest you try certain IR sets are really saying - the IR you use might actually sound better on your rig than the one used by whoever created the patch to begin with.

Thinking in a "fixed" way about tone is a real mistake - you don't have to do it exactly the same as someone else - and even if you do, the differences in your rig will no doubt not leave you hearing what they heard anyhow!

5 hours ago, dmccorkle911 said:

I imported a few from the forum but how do I determine what IR is missing in a given preset?

Hi,

Just to be clear, by saying “imported a few from the forum”, I would understand that to be a reference to CustomTone?

Also, looking at your screenshot showing a preset named “EVH - EVH1”.
With that limited information I checked CustomTone and it appears that the EVH preset actually states - 

Using the 67_Greenback as the IR from the free Line 6 Allure pack found at: line6.com/allure”

Well, if that is not enough to tell you…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rvroberts said:

But, really guys, it's totally academic and not worth getting excited about!

No, it's not academic at all. It's easy to run out of IR slots in the Helix if you have a vast collection of IRs and want to check a whole bunch of them for example by switching through them via pedal edit mode (which is a most excellent thing to do). So, I might save a patch using one out of, say, 50 IRs. But I don't want to keep all slots clogged up so I might as well just remove the ones I tried all together. This will render the patch I created useless. With proper IR management the patch would simply come up with a message. "IR "kickass cab.wav" missing, search for it y/n?". That's all that'd be required and it's got nothing to do with any "core software design". I have been involved in quite some betatests for sample based software and more than just once a file locating algorithm had to be implemented later on. It was always possible. There's no reason it shouldn't be possible within HX Edit.

Seriously, this is a glaring omission - and if you were in the software sampler business and came up with a sample organisation such as this, you'd be out of the game tomorrow, as easy as that.

14 hours ago, dmccorkle911 said:

Thank you to all the great info.  I will start learning this beast!

14 hours ago, dmccorkle911 said:

I added all the Allure IR's but the EVH1 still cannot find the 67_Greenback.  I obviously need to do more than just importing them.

This may seem obvious, but a really good place to start is the manual. They are available to download for both the HX Edit Software and the Helix family of hardware products.

Here is a link to the HX Edit version - see pages 16 > 19 regarding IR management.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4073a76078918763b52/application/pdf/HX Edit Pilot's Guide - English .pdf

Even easier, click on the question mark in the lower left window of the HX Edit interface and select "Pilot's Guide" - it's built in.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

19 hours ago, dmccorkle911 said:

The IR's associated with the following blocks in the preset could not be found in the impulse library.

Path 2A, position 3

Why don't you ask the person that offered the preset download? 

EVH would have used a 4x12 Marshall cabinet. You can insert any 412 and it will get you in the ballpark. Doesn't have to be an IR.... you can use a CAB Block. 

Granted - having the IR used for the preset would be the best solution, again... but that's on the "author" of the preset, not the helix or it's IR management. 

16 hours ago, dmccorkle911 said:

It would be nice if HX Edit would at least tell me the IR and I could then buy the correct pack.

Just to be clear...  The author of the preset should have explained which IR was used. If it's a commercial IR they are not allowed to share it with you, but they should still tell you what they used so you can decide to go buy it if you want. 

Even if HX Edit did/could tell you the name that doesn't mean it would solve the problem. Every preset pack has hundreds if not thousands of IR's.... names are cryptic, and often users will change the name to something easier to remember. It's much easier when the authors simply tells you what they used and where they got it. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, codamedia said:

Why don't you ask the person that offered the preset download? 

Do you ever reach a point when you feel as if you are hammering nails into rock with your head?

I know I do, when answering some of the inane questions that crop up on here.

I'm not even sure if we are bring trolled at this point, as the guy starts off by saying -"Newbie so please abuse if you need."

This is all rather futile, because I actually went on Customtone and found the preset the OP was using - The guy (NBell) who posted it there was very clear in pointing out that the IR used was from the freebie Allure pack available through Line 6 and provided a link. All of this took less than a minute - Duh!

The OP then states: - "I added all the Allure IR's but the EVH1 still cannot find the 67_Greenback.  I obviously need to do more than just importing them."

Ye gods, the "READ ME" pdf  that comes with the IRs lists all 6 impulse responses that are included - they are:-

• Allure_59_Tweed_P10N.wav

• Allure_64_A30_G12.wav

• Allure_64_USDeluxe_P12N.wav

• Allure_67_Brit_Greenback.wav

• Allure_70s_WhoWatt_100.wav

• Allure_90s_Cali_V30.wav

Please reassure me that I'm not going mad - how many 67 Greenback IRs do you see?

I noticed only yesterday that long time forum contributor, and Line 6 Beta tester, Peter Hamm was being castigated over a post he made on Facebook where he commented about some folk just wanting other people to supply all the answers and not actually do any of the work. Another guy on FB mentioned that he had, at the age of 54 just purchased a Helix floor and thought he would need a degree in rocket science to use it without expert training and he was employing a mentor for a couple of weeks. He claims to have a post grad degree - I don't believe half of this nonsense.

I'm getting to old for this.

Edited by datacommando
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Do you ever reach a point when you feel as if you are hammering nails into rock with your head?

I know I do , when answering some of the inane questions that crop up on here.

I'm not even sure if we are bring trolled at this point, as the guy starts off by saying -"Newbie so please abuse if you need."

This is all rather futile, because I actual went on Customtone and found the preset the OP was using - The guy (NBell) who posted it there was very clear in pointing out that the IR used was from the freebie Allure pack available through Line 6 and provided a link. All of this took less than a minute - Duh!

The OP then states: - "I added all the Allure IR's but the EVH1 still cannot find the 67_Greenback.  I obviously need to do more than just importing them."

Ye gods, the "READ ME" pdf  that comes with the IRs lists all 6 impulse responses that are included - they are:-

• Allure_59_Tweed_P10N.wav

• Allure_64_A30_G12.wav

• Allure_64_USDeluxe_P12N.wav

• Allure_67_Brit_Greenback.wav

• Allure_70s_WhoWatt_100.wav

• Allure_90s_Cali_V30.wav

Please reassure me that I'm not going mad - how many 67 Greenback IRs do you see?

I noticed only yesterday that long time form contributor, and Line 6 Beta tester, Peter Hamm was being castigated over a post he made on Facebook where he commented about some folk just wanting other people to supply all the answers and not actually do any of the work. Another guy on FB mentioned that he had, at the age of 54 just purchased a Helix floor and thought he would need a degree in rocket science to use it without expert training and he was employing a mentor for a couple of weeks. He claims to have a post grad degree - I don't believe half of this nonsense.

What do you expect from a society that prizes instant gratification above all else?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

I noticed only yesterday that long time forum contributor, and Line 6 Beta tester, Peter Hamm was being castigated over a post he made on Facebook where he commented about some folk just wanting other people to supply all the answers and not actually do any of the work. Another guy on FB mentioned that he had, at the age of 54 just purchased a Helix floor and thought he would need a degree in rocket science to use it without expert training and he was employing a mentor for a couple of weeks. He claims to have a post grad degree - I don't believe half of this nonsense.

I don't so much mind doing the legwork, I've learned a lot that way. But when they dribble out the needed details like it's state secrets, like they know what I need to know to solve the problem they have no clue how to solve, so I have to do the research multiple times, then they move the goal posts, don't follow directions and then get mad at me because they don't like my sense of humor (not even considering that I might've simply told them to F#*K OFF!).......and, in the end, they become enraged when I give them the page number and tell them to RTFM!

Yeah, there's days I feel like I'm getting too old for it. Fortunately, my neighbors are reasonably tolerant of brief 100db bursts of "Highway to Hell"!

OP - don't mind us, we're just blowing off steam, not necessarily directed at you....unless you are, in fact a TROLL!

• Upvote 1

I am not a troll and really just got this thing so trying to bypass reading the entire manual.  I will do so before posting again for sure.  I have my own EVH lunchbox 5150 III with a 2x12 cabinet, and a VOX 15C2,  Playing with the Helix is just cool so that I can do whatever I want with whatever sound I may want.

I just noticed that a few of the preset I downloaded from the  custom tone area gave me that message about IR's.  

Since I am new to the Helix I figured you experts would help.

I will RTFM and see what I can do.

Guitar_Room_4.jpg

I think you ended up being an innocent target of some frustration that was misdirected. You’re a first time poster here and I’m sorry that this was your first experience. Somehow we were triggered and fired off. We do try to be helpful. Please continue to post questions as they come up.

Just thought I would update everyone on my issue.  Once I loaded the free Allure IR's, and purchased the OwnHammer IR's and loaded them, all I had to do is select the preset, find the IR block in question, edit it and see if the correct IR was listed on the right hand side and then save the preset.  All is good now.

This is all I was asking to begin with.

57 minutes ago, dmccorkle911 said:

All is good now.

Yay - success at last!

A little knowledge and experimentation goes a long way with this stuff. An hour spent with the manual, pushing switches and turning dials is a good way to become familiar with the hardware. This is the digital world where you aren't very likely to blow anything up, or electrocute yourself if things are not wired up correctly, and sometimes experiments can reveal interesting results.

As stated by "rd2rk" in the earlier post - "OP - don't mind us, we're just blowing off steam, not necessarily directed at you...." That's because we get lots of people posting questions here, that are seeking for solutions to issues that have been covered many, many times, or the whole thing can be found in the owners manual for the HX product they already own. It becomes a little tedious after a few years of constantly going over the same old ground. Some of us even have "cut and paste" answers for the most frequent stuff.

I mentioned previously that long time forum contributor, and Line 6 Beta tester, "Peter Hamm" was being castigated over a post he made on Facebook. He closed the thread to more comments, but the gist of it came down to this -

"TLDR version... Do not ask a question if you can try it yourself and see how it works. Instead... DO IT, and then come and tell us what you have learned, and those of us who didn't even THINK about whatever it was you were trying to solve will benefit much more greatly!

Do the work, people."

Splendid - You did and finally figured it out.

To paraphrase another of his comments on FB:

In here we don't think questions are "dumb", or that people should never ask questions, but it is advisable to do a little research so as not to appear total devoid of knowledge by repeatedly asking the same old stuff or asking about things that are already covered in the manuals.

Plus, in your case, you left yourself wide open to ridicule by starting your post with - "Newbie so please abuse if you need."

Really? Hmm... what did you expect would happen?

Have fun learning your new toy.

I had the same problem keeping track of IRs needed for presets I purchased.  So I created a web site helixlib.com that lets you upload your preset(s) and document the actual IR names.   Also gives you some visuals of your presets (without needing the Helix plugged in), analytics, and lets you view settings for the models you use across all your presets.  I'm not charging for it currently so feel free to register and use it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bmick said:

I had the same problem keeping track of IRs needed for presets I purchased.  So I created a web site helixlib.com that lets you upload your preset(s) and document the actual IR names.   Also gives you some visuals of your presets (without needing the Helix plugged in), analytics, and lets you view settings for the models you use across all your presets.  I'm not charging for it currently so feel free to register and use it!

I am trying to register for your service at Helixlib.com. The procedure is breaking down for me at the point that you attempt to send me a confirmation email with further instructions. I have triple-checked that the email address I provided is accurate. I am not receiving your email although on your end you are waiting for my response to it. I have checked my spam folder. Are you aware of any current problem with your registration system?

EDIT: OK, I just noticed on your website blog that you are aware of and are working on this issue. Looking forward to trying this out!

Of course, the day I mention my site is the day I discover that emails aren't working at all.  I've bypassed the confirmation for the couple of people who registered in the last couple of days, so you should be able to get in now.  Hopefully I'll be able to resolve the issue this weekend.  I'll keep an eye out for other registrations as well.  Give it a shot, let me know what you like/dislike!

EDIT: Still working on the registration issue, some are getting through, some are not...