Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshots, Output, and Setup questions...

NevenT

Hey, I'm new to Helix LT, and I have some questions for those of you more experienced than myself.

I got my Helix LT snapshots set up as follows:

Signal path is...

Guitar> Volume>Compressor>Overdrive>Noise Gate>Reverb>Delay1>Delay2>Flange>Chorus.  Everything after the Noise Gate gets turned on/off with specific Snapshot #.

Snap 1:Rhythm tone crunch with slight Reverb only.

Snap 2: Solo with Reverb, Delay at 480, Chorus, Boosted Output level at end of chain.

Snap 3: Also solo, same settings as #2 but with a longer delay 520.

Snap 4: Similar to Snapshot #1 but with 480 Delay and 1/2 amount of boost.

Snap 5: Set for Clean tone, working on that, not done. Ignore for now.

Snap 6: Empty

Snap 7: Empty

Snap 8: Similar to Snapshot #1 but only with Flanger.

This is for when I want to run the Helix LT into an effects loop of an amp head and cab to have on stage.

If I wanted to run a signal to the front of house PA, I'm guessing that I would need to duplicate everything from Path 1 into Path 2 but adding an amp and cab to Path 2, and making sure Path 2 is set for XLR out...for all the 8 snapshots.  Is that correct? 

I'm guessing that Path 2 would not be used at all if I didn't have any XLR's plugged in the Helix for when I don't want to go to front of House...so Path 2 is not active then?

Would this also work if I ever wanted an actual amp behind me plus a powered speaker in front like a monitor?  I'd have to edit Path 2 for either FOH or FRFR?

One last thing, say I want to use a FRFR speaker in front of me only.  My snapshots are built with an actual amp in the signal.  If I wanted to use a FRFR, would I have to edit ALL 8 of my current snapshots by adding in an amp/cab block?  Is there a way where I can leave my current 8 snapshots as is for an actual amp set up and build 8 others for FRFR?

I'd like to hear suggestions on the best way to make this happen.  

Thanks,

All you want is everything. Instead of screwing around with your presets:

If your amp has a cab emulated DI, just use that.

If your DI has no cab emulation get something like the Mooer Radar.

If your amp doesn't have a DI or you don't like the cab emulation and it can't be turned off, get a load box with IRs such as the Two Notes Captor-X.

With any of the above solutions whatever comes out of your amp goes wherever you want it to.

Done deal.

What you want is to cram everything into one preset as if you're dealing with a traditional pedalboard.  But you have 1,024 presets all perfectly capable of adapting to different, unique configurations but you only have 8 snapshots and a limited amount of DSP available in that snapshot.  Maybe taking a look at the Helix as a different paradigm from the traditional pedalboard might open up a wider range of possibilities.

You started out asking a question related to getting your sound from Helix to wherever, assuming what the best way to do it would be.

Your assumptions were incorrect.

Based on your limited description of your gear, I answered your question with the simplest, most practical ways to do it, allowing you to maximize the Helix's capabilities (no wasted DSP, no extra noise and latency inducing loops) in all of the configurations you mentioned.

23 minutes ago, NevenT said:

What I want is better knowledge of this device and it's capabilities.

RTM.

Watch some of the 10,000 YouTube videos on the subject of using Helix.

People on this Forum are happy to answer specific questions, but you need to acquire the basic knowledge on your own.

• Upvote 1

I think I would just use a FX Send block right before the cab block for guitar power amp signal and let the main outs be the FRFR outputs for a monitor and house feed. Then I either use the send or not...a situational output I suppose. Like the Amp Out on the Pod GO....

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, spaceatl said:

I think I would just use a FX Send block right before the cab block for guitar power amp signal and let the main outs be the FRFR outputs for a monitor and house feed. Then I either use the send or not...a situational output I suppose. Like the Amp Out on the Pod GO....

If he's using 4cm, that doesn't get a poweramp emulation out to FOH.

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

If he's using 4cm, that doesn't get a poweramp emulation out to FOH.

why would anyone want to 4cm? jk...I could not really tell if he was running 4cm or not from his post of LT to an effects loop of some stage amp....I inferred a power amp in scenario ir skip...

@spaceatl has suggested something that will work, as far as we understand your setup.

Another option is to consider using parallel paths in Path 1. Split the path after all FX blocks that you want to go to your amp. In the lower path (1B)   add an amp and cab as you suggested. That’s all that should be in Path 1B unless you want something in FOH that you don’t want in your amp. Set Path 1A output to 1/4”  using amp output level and route that back to your amp FX Return. Set Path 1B to XLR using whatever level is appropriate for FOH and feed it/them to FOH.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NevenT said:

One last thing, say I want to use a FRFR speaker in front of me only.  My snapshots are built with an actual amp in the signal.  If I wanted to use a FRFR, would I have to edit ALL 8 of my current snapshots by adding in an amp/cab block?  Is there a way where I can leave my current 8 snapshots as is for an actual amp set up and build 8 others for FRFR?…

All snapshots share the single configuration of the preset. With Snapshots you can manage the FX on/off state as well as many parameters, but Snapshots do not allow you to change the preset configuration. As soon as you add a lock to the preset that block is available in all Snapshots.

I described a setup above that will work for both your amp and/or FRFR connections. Just adjust your cabling to suit the physical setup you want (e.g. XLR outputs to your FRFR speakers).

56 minutes ago, spaceatl said:

why would anyone want to 4cm? jk...I could not really tell if he was running 4cm or not from his post of LT to an effects loop of some stage amp....I inferred a power amp in scenario ir skip...

Would depend on his amp. I use it because my amp's pre gets very nice cleans, edge of breakup, hard rock (with Helix OD's).

Heavier sounds work better with Helix amps/preamps.

54 minutes ago, silverhead said:

@spaceatl has suggested something that will work, as far as we understand your setup.

Another option is to consider using parallel paths in Path 1. Split the path after all FX blocks that you want to go to your amp. In the lower path (1B)   add an amp and cab as you suggested. That’s all that should be in Path 1B unless you want something in FOH that you don’t want in your amp. Set Path 1A output to 1/4”  using amp output level and route that back to your amp FX Return. Set Path 1B to XLR using whatever level is appropriate for FOH and feed it/them to FOH.

To get a full amp sound with IR to FOH using a send to your amp return before the IR/XLR, you'd need to use a full Helix amp. That works if it sounds good with your RW poweramp.

If you're using a Helix preamp, that won't get it.

The method suggested by @silverhead (*) will work, unless you want to get your RW poweramp sound to FOH so that the FOH sound matches your stage sound as close as possible.

The only way I know of to do that is a load box, preferably a decent Reactive Load box such as the Captor.

* I like to run FX in parallel, so I hate to waste a split like that, and I'd want my RW poweramp sound going to FOH.

If you go that way you should get one with IR capability (Captor-X) because, although you COULD take the line out from the load box back to a Helix return to get the IR, that adds noise and latency.

Why don't you just copy your preset to a new location and then change the parameters needed to suit the different output scenarios?  Then you simply rename the preset to identify it as being for the amp .... or for the FRFR .... or whatever.  Same snapshots and tones and options but on different physical rigs.

I do this all the time but not for output.  I do it for input.  I have my main presets that I use for almost everything except specialized sounds.  Then my main presets are duplicated in another bank only now instead of being tweaked so my humbucker guitars sound good, they're tweaked so my single coil guitars sound good.  I switch guitars, do a couple of toe taps and I'm good to go with my familiar presets.