Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What Should I Buy: Jtv Or Prs Guitar? (i Own A Hd500x)

LutherDeLorme

I have a Pod HD500X and I am thinking about buying a better guitar. I now have a Squier Affinity Strat HSS, which is intonated by a pro, but still has some tuning issues.

I am thinking about buying a PRS or a JTV. In the PRS section I am thinking about a PRS Mira, a PRS S2 Mira or a PRS SE Custom 24. In the Variax section I am thinking about a JTV69 or a JTV59.

As said I have a Pod HD500X and a JTV seems the next logic step, but weirdly enough I am more tempted to buy a PRS, it just looks a better guitar, better build, better playable, better sounding, in short: better quality. I haven't played any guitar mentioned, I will do that in a few days.

Buy both is not an option for me.

I am a home recording amateur musician.

Does anyone has any thoughts about what is a better buy?

I've got a JTV-59P (Goldtop). It actually plays very similarly to the PRS single cutaway models. It is also similar in weight. The build quality on my model is superb.

For me, the flexibility of the Variax is hard to pass up. For live work, I've settled in on 3 models that I really like. For recording in my home studio, I've used a bunch of different models. Being able to test a different guitar tone against a track is amazing. Sometimes it is a model I would never have thought would fit. I also have a HD500 and a DT-25. When recording I take both a dry signal and the HD500 signal into my interface which allows me to further alter the tone after recording.

Thx a lot Malnack for reply!!

What I don't understand is that you say that you can alter the tone after recording. Is it possible to route a wav recording back to the Pod, and then record the output again?

Thx a lot Rublalup for reply!! - makes me think from a different perspective.

The PRS SE series guitars are actually built in the same factory as the Korean JTVs.

I used to have a PRS Mira. It was a nice guitar. Played very well, but I never played it enough to justify keeping it. I was not a huge fan of the pickups. I've found that it had a brightness that I didn't really like. I don't mind bright guitars, but I guess I like more vintage sounding humbuckers. I also briefly had an SE Singlecut semi-hollow that had P90s. Again, it played very well, but I sold it.

My JTV69, on the other hand, is now my main guitar.

• Upvote 1

Nothing wrong with a PRS...but it will be a PRS, and nothing else.

If versatility is something you're looking for in a recording guitar, the JTVs are the way to go. They are quite well made, very resonant guitars, even without all the DSP goodies.

I own 2 PRS SE custom 24 guitars. As far as guitars go, the PRS sound and play fantastic. I play live with a POD HD 500 direct to the PA playing dance to rock to everything inbetween. I constantly get compliments on my guitar tones and people asking where my amp is. I have been playing since the invention of dirt.

I LOVE the guitars. Best bang for the buck out there IMHO.

With that said, I have only tried a JTV...never owned one. If you are only recording then maybe it is a better option if you need a variety of sounds.

The reality is whatever instrument you buy it needs to inspire you. From how it sounds to how it plays to the reliability. It needs to help you want to pick it up and practice the stuff you suck at and enjoy the stuff you play with ease.

A funny thing to consider is having too many options can be just as bad as not having enough. You could spend more time tweaking than becoming highly proficient on the instrument. A good guitarist sounds good on pretty much anything...a bad one doesn't sound better behind any technology. I am stepping off the soapbox now...just making the point to get whatever will make you a better musician.

Good luck and try before you buy!!!!

Thanks a lot everyone for your input so far!! Gives me some angles to think about.

@PRSGuy (love the name lol), your thoughts make a lot of sense for me. Indeed too many options keeps you tweaking for hours, have that experience with the hd500x, which I have for a couple of weeks now. What makes me a better musician, as a thought angle is a good point. I of course like a variety if sounds, but I don't think now that that is the main argument for me now, I mean: I feel still pro PRS at the moment.

If you are limiting your choices arbitrarily, buy the PRS. It will always do what you ask of it. No firmware updates, software issues, or delay between pickup changes. It will simply be the guitar that you play instead of the guitar you tweak, ask about patches for, and buy proprietary cables for.

I had an original Variax and recently bought and returned a JTV59. The JTV was built better than the original Variax, but the sound was still "fake" and "quacky". It took weeks of messing with it trying to make it sound decent, and that convinced me to return it. If you spend that much money and have to try every day to justify it and look past the flaws, it's not the guitar for you. Many people love them though. It really depends on your play style. Heavier hands will show the warts of guitar modeling more than light hands. I happen to like to dig into my strings, so the modeling doesn't work for me.

Bottom line- it's a Line 6 forum. You will get mostly Variax votes here. Post this in the PRS forum and see the responses there.

Never limit yourself to "this guitar or that guitar". Walk into a guitar store with your gear, and play everything on the wall, even the ones above your price range. You may find something else worth saving up for that you like even better.

• Upvote 1

I've got a Variax 700 electric which I really like and I've owned a PRS (Custom 22). When the JTV Variax guitars came out in the UK I really wanted one as I love my HD500 and they are clearly made for each other. But when I saw and tried the JTVs I was really disappointed in them. The JTV-69 in particular I thought wasn't that well made, had a  strange, narrow neck width and cheap-looking chrome hardware. I then tried a JTV-59 which I also didn't think was that that great in terms of playability, feel etc. It was also very heavy. So, I went back to my old Variax 700 (which, in my view, although it looks a bit strange, is a great playing guitar) and my HD500.

I've played a couple of PRS Mira S2 guitars recently and really liked them – good price, light weight, great sounds, coil taps, nice neck etc. So nice, in fact, that I'm about to order one.

So, for me the PRS is the better guitar, even the S2s, but if you need the flexibility of the different sounds and tunings, go for the JTV (and you can certainly do some cool linking to your HD500, especially for live use). Ultimately you should get the guitar that inspires you to play, the one you can't put down. I've been playing now for over 30 years and there’s only one guitar that I own that makes me want to pick it up every time I see it and it’s an old (but not vintage) Strat that I've had for years….

• Upvote 1

I really appreciate everyones input! Thanks!

It widens my perspective, which is a good thing.

@Stumblinman, I understand your remark about "(The PRS) will simply be the guitar that you play, instead of the guitar you tweak" cause I foresee myself tweaking all the time. About your remark about this being a line6 forum, I was aware of that, i am positively surprised that its not only Variax supporters I read. Also thanks about your remark about walking into a store and play everything thats on the wall. I shall probably not do that, but indeed why limit myself to only this or that guitar.

@Spiderplayer7, indeed I agree, i should choose the guitar that inspires me to play. That is probably the most important thing!

This is essentially a repeat of everything above.  First decide if you would like a huge variety of sounds including the ability to essentially create your own guitar (using Workbench) or if the PRS "sound" would be enough for you.  You can do some thing like change the pickups and coil tap to get a variety of sounds but the JTV will have more.  The Variax will also change guitars and the tuning of the guitar as you change patches on the HD500.  So if you want the Rickenbaker 12 string model with a DADGAD tuning for just one patch you have that capability.  Variax and HD500 equal a ton of variety, which is what I wanted, but you may not be that interested in that.  If you generally stay with one or two sounds and the PRS gets you those sounds then I would definitely recommend the PRS.  So that's the first decision you have to make.  Do you want tons of tonal variety or will just a few solid tones be what you want.  If you're good with just the PRS sound, go with that then, just for the sake of less complication which is good.  After that I agree with play every instrument you can that you're interested in.  I remember playing a one pickup, on sale, plain white with a Spawn decal (remember that comic book character) Kramer guitar whose neck seemed to fit me like a glove.  I always regretted not buying it because it felt so good and was only $100.  So play as many guitars of the kind you want as you can.  You never know when you'll hit one that feels just right.

They can all play good if you know how to work on them or can find a good guitar tech.  I've taken a $50 Vantage guitar and made it play and sound great - that only took 4 years of modifications and 3 differant sets of pickups.  Hey it was a learning process for me.  I didn't want to learn how to modify a guitar on something expensive.

I say go with the JTV.  You can eventually make it play the way you want and it gives you more variety of tones.  No matter what you do to the PRS, it's just another guitar in the end.

@brue58ski, I disagree a bit about what I should first decide. Of course I want huge variety of sounds, who doesn't. I of course have to check this myself, but the choice now seems to me: huge variety of sounds against a very small variety of sounds but 1. those few sounds are great, and 2. the guitar is great. It looks like a choice of quantity against quality, If that is the case I go for quality.

There is however a bit of time pressure for me, its about the Mira. I only found 1 shop who has it, and they only have 1 Mira. So it might be gone soon. I will go to that shop next thursday or friday, play it, play a Variax, and some other guitars, a pity they don't have the SE Custom, I can not taste that one, only buy it online, and send it back if I don't like it. Also I can't play the S2 Mira, cause its not on our market yet.

JTV + HD500 is a go !

I am now using a JTV69s+HD500 directly XLR'ed to PA, no amp.

Before I used a Fender Prosonic Custom Shop with a 1972 Strat (with 3 position selector switch), really cool 'n original pure vintage stuff.

You can "taste" the flavor of this gear in the attached video at about 04:00

However, since i bought the JTV69s and the HD500, the 72 strat+fender prosonic custom shop tube amp+many other tube amps+analogue equipment are now decommissioned.

What I don't understand is that you say that you can alter the tone after recording. Is it possible to route a wav recording back to the Pod, and then record the output again?

When I record, I split the guitar signal so that a dry signal goes in to my audio interface and a processed signal from the HD500 goes into another channel. Then I can use amp modellers in my DAW (Studio One Pro v. 2.6) to process the dry signal so that it fits into the track. Sometimes I use just one of the tracks, sometimes it is a mix of both.

• Upvote 1

It's funny you mention that! I was just thinking the other day that it would be cool if Line 6 branched out and starting partnering with other guitar companies to offer the Variax as a component upgrade.

IE, buy a Gibson Les Paul - with "Variax On Board".

Or, buy a PRS with the cool birds, 24 fret - with Variax.

Anyway, it's a tough decision. Going from a Squier up to a nice instrument, will definitely improve your playing. And the price point is tricky, because for what you will spend on a JTV, you could get a pretty nice PRS.

All that being said, I have a JTV 59 tobacco, and it's a great instrument. You could say, since these guitars are built in the same factory as the Korean PRS SE models, that the JTV when used as magnetic pickups only, is very, very similar to playing a PRS SE.

In terms of interfacing with the HD500x, the JTV will give you some cool options that you will not have with other 'regular guitars'. Also, when using the JTV VDI cable to connect with the HD500x, you are doing a different analog to digital conversion process - it's handled by the guitar, not the HD500. As for the Variax models, thats already digital, so it's a pure digital interface to the HD500.

I have a USA strat as my other guitar, the HSS like you mentioned. I haven't touched it in a while, having too much fun playing the JTV.

Obviously the JTV USA is Wayyyy out of the budget realm, and in most cases a PRS USA custom 24 is going to be upwards of $3k anyway. If you find a good sale on the JTV you can probably get one for closer to $1,000. The JTV59 is currently at $1500 most everywhere; when I bought mine in January it was just over $1,000; guitar center did a sale, and Zzounds agreed to price match.

You probably will want to get your hands on the different JTV models, and even if not full on connected to a POD, at least just play them, and see how you like the feel of the neck, and compare it to a PRS SE, in terms of "just guitar" build quality.

In terms of function usage of the Variax tech, the JTV 69 has the standard strat style 5-way toggle switch, whereas the JTV 59 has the Les Paul style 3-way switch, and thus relies on pressing the alt tuning knob to alternate the 3-way switching to the additional options.

In terms of interfacing with the HD500x, when using VDI you can switch pickup and guitar models patch by patch in the HD500, which can be very useful. Switch with your feet from a les paul model, to strat model, to an acoustic model, to a banjo model, etc. The "Reso" models are interesting; banjo, sitar, dobro. And the acoustic models are a nice bonus.

Essentially a JTV is a PRS SE style and quality build with an added piezo pickup system linked to a Line6 variax modelling system, offering both 1/4" out and VDI output - so you can do some cool things with sending the VDI to your POD, and then sending the 1/4" elsewhere - another processor, dry recording signal, direct to PA, whatever.

So, as much as I love PRS, you might get more mileage out of a JTV. Just in terms, of being able to hear approximations of all these different instruments, pickup combinations, and the flexibility you will have interfacing with the HD. And, the onboard magnetic pickups actually sound very good, and are an excellent option.

But if you can score a sweet PRS for a comparable (around $1000-$1500) price point - then that will always be a great investment. I see the custom 24 for around $1400, the S2 Mira for around $1200-$1300. One thing to consider, is many of the online web store (Zzounds, Sweetwater, etc) will do a payment plan, where using your own credit card, they charge you monthly installments. Like layaway, except you get the guitar now, and make payments while you already have the gear. Just watch out for the credit card offers, they can zing you with the full interest if you miss a payment or make a late payment.

Looks like Sweetwater has the JTV69 sunburst "on sale" for $1400 right now. The JTV69 black is $999. But before you go that route, definitely read up on what people have experienced using the variax tech with the tremelo piezo system. The JTV59 is a fixed bridge, so it doesn't impart as much mechanical noise as the tremelo systems; however, there are some folks looking into replacement parts from GraphTech for a replacement piezo option

• Upvote 1

It's funny you mention that! I was just thinking the other day that it would be cool if Line 6 branched out and starting partnering with other guitar companies to offer the Variax as a component upgrade.

IE, buy a Gibson Les Paul - with "Variax On Board".

Or, buy a PRS with the cool birds, 24 fret - with Variax.

This would be way-cool, but I suspect that Gibson and most of their loyal "traditionalists" would consider it sacrilege. Makes no sense, but this is the mindset. Same reason you can't buy a liquid-cooled Harley. (yeah I know...the V-Rod, but even the Harley guys don't consider them to be "real" Harleys)...but I digress.

And since Gibson is fond of putting amusing price tags on stuff, can you imagine the cost? It would price-out most buyers.

I've got a PRS SE Singlecut and a JTV59.  They are both nice guitars, both well made and both a step up from the Squier.  The JTV is qute a bit more expensive, but obviously comes with all the modelling that will complement your POD.  My PRS has a slightly thinner neck and the body is a little thinner too, but I tend to play the JTV more as I like the modelling capability.  My advice - try both out and see which you prefer.  I wouldn't like to choose!!

Thanks all a lot for every reply!!

I am still thinking and thinking, but within a few days I will test some models.

Does anyone has any thoughts about which is the better guitar between the PRS Mira and the PRS S2 Mira? If these guitars were the only 2 on the planet, which would you pick?

I can't try the S2 cause it is not on our market yet, but I can try the Mira, this Mira is only temporarely available, and might be gone soon. If I want a Mira I must decide quickly cause they are very hard to get these days. My conclusion from google investigation is: they are different (one difference is 22 frets the S2 Mira and 24 frets the Mira) , and I read also that some people definetely prefer the Mira above the S2 Mira. I have read the official PRS answer about the differences, but I don't get a clear view from that answer. Of course they have to sell the S2's so that makes it coloured.

I also have questions about JTV. There is a special priced JTV here: Line 6 JTV-59P James Tyler Variax P90 Black

, and its 825 Euro, which is about 900 Dollar, which looks like a very good price. Question: does it make a lot of difference the P90 pickups, compared to the JTV's with Humbucking pickups?

Also here is a Line 6 JTV-69B James Tyler Variax Black, which has HSS , so has 1 Humbug and 2 single coils and is 1100 euro (is about 1200 dollar). So 300 dollar difference, for what? the HSS versus the P90's?

It is somewhat confusing for me all the types of JTV's with different prices, I understand the difference between 59 (Les Paul model) 69 (Fender model) and 89 (not interested), but all the other differences are a bit hazy for me, although I do understand that a Korean model is lower priced than a USA made model. Line 6 made things somewhat complicated in this departement in my view, you have to have a lot of guitar knowledge to understand pros and cons of each model set against the other models.

The regular prices are all very similar.  The others are discounted prices.  Cost of various pickups is not very different.  Real issue is 59 and 69 are very different guitars.  You may like one and not the other depending on your personal preferences.  I like both but I purchased the 69S.

I use a Presonus Audiobox 1818 VSL as my DAW interface into Studio One Pro.

It is somewhat confusing for me all the types of JTV's with different prices, I understand the difference between 59 (Les Paul model) 69 (Fender model) and 89 (not interested), but all the other differences are a bit hazy for me, although I do understand that a Korean model is lower priced than a USA made model. Line 6 made things somewhat complicated in this departement in my view, you have to have a lot of guitar knowledge to understand pros and cons of each model set against the other models.

Some of the lower prices you are seeing may be "scratch and dent" models, which usually means there's a minor cosmetic flaw somewhere, a light scratch or two in the finish, etc. Don't let that stop you though...it can be a great deal. Got my 69 for $900 from Sweetwater...tiny scratch on the back, looks like somebody's screwdriver slipped puting on one of the backplates. Eventually I'll do worse damage to it myself just from normal use, and it's on the back anyway, so who cares? The $500 savings bought my 500X...

I would probably try the P-90 JTV. Their humbuckers are muddy and not very articulate. The P-90's should be more punchy and clear. But with the tone comes the hum...

Thanks all a lot for every reply!!

I am still thinking and thinking, but within a few days I will test some models.

Does anyone has any thoughts about which is the better guitar between the PRS Mira and the PRS S2 Mira? If these guitars were the only 2 on the planet, which would you pick?

I can't try the S2 cause it is not on our market yet, but I can try the Mira, this Mira is only temporarely available, and might be gone soon. If I want a Mira I must decide quickly cause they are very hard to get these days. My conclusion from google investigation is: they are different (one difference is 22 frets the S2 Mira and 24 frets the Mira) , and I read also that some people definetely prefer the Mira above the S2 Mira. I have read the official PRS answer about the differences, but I don't get a clear view from that answer. Of course they have to sell the S2's so that makes it coloured.

I also have questions about JTV. There is a special priced JTV here: Line 6 JTV-59P James Tyler Variax P90 Black

, and its 825 Euro, which is about 900 Dollar, which looks like a very good price. Question: does it make a lot of difference the P90 pickups, compared to the JTV's with Humbucking pickups?

Also here is a Line 6 JTV-69B James Tyler Variax Black, which has HSS , so has 1 Humbug and 2 single coils and is 1100 euro (is about 1200 dollar). So 300 dollar difference, for what? the HSS versus the P90's?

Some of the lower prices you are seeing may be "scratch and dent" models, which usually means there's a minor cosmetic flaw somewhere, a light scratch or two in the finish, etc. Don't let that stop you though...it can be a great deal. Got my 69 for $900 from Sweetwater...tiny scratch on the back, looks like somebody's screwdriver slipped puting on one of the backplates. Eventually I'll do worse damage to it myself just from normal use, and it's on the back anyway, so who cares? The $500 savings bought my 500X...

See this idea of "Scratch and Dent" cracks me up in some ways.  I own one mind you and I considered it a great deal....but one end of the market gets you a scratch and dent Korean made digitized guitar with modeled guitars in it for $900 while another segment of guitaroland pays $3k or MORE for guitars which are purposefully beat, dented, rusted and otherwise artifically aged Custom Shop built Stratocasters/Telecasters. When I think about that, my brain goes just wow....

I just got my JTV59 a week ago yesterday.  I actually went on a limb and ordered it online.  I would return it if need be.  I am really loving it.  The one I received plays great.  The action and intonation were spot on.  The neck plays very close to my Gibson LP Silverburst.

I play on my church's worship team and depending on the singer sometimes the key of the song will be changed dramatically.  So before I would have to learn it in different positions and use a regular capo at times (i don't like em personally).  This past Sunday was the first time with the JTV and it was so nice to simply use the programmed virtual capo and and bam I play it like I always do.  Plus being able to change the sound from a Les Paul to a Strat for another song was very cool.

If you do a lot of home recordings or just jamming the acoustics sound really good as well.  I smiled very wide when I first strummed with the 12 string preset.

Using just the built-in pickups and the guitar sounds very good as well, IMO.  Actually pretty close to my LPs.    It isn't light.  It is actually a lil heavier than my Silverburst and about the same as my white LP. 

I love the feel of it.

Now if they would fix the HD500 with Workbench HD interoperability it will be a perfect setup.  A little klugey with the USB device, but once you get the presets hammered out you can just use HDEdit and the VDI interface to power and change presets.

Since you said you can't afford both, I imagine you can't afford either a US PRS or a US JTV.  They both are made in Korea.  They both can be great guitars.  My buddies SE plays very nice. 

I just like having the tonal options.  And with all the different tunings learn more about theory and playing different styles.

One thing with the Scratch and dent, or "b-stock"  at least according to the websites.  The manufacturer warranty may not be in effect.

I was going to buy a b-stock from Zzounds.  They have pics of the actual guitar, but I wanted to have a warranty, especially with something with a computer and firmware inside.

you may and probably would be fine without that, but I decided to pony up a few hundred more for the brand new one.

Well people, the eagle has landed, I bought a PRS Mira Orange.

This afternoon I tried a few guitars at the store: JTV 69, Fender Strat American and the Mira. I also liked the Strat a lot, but liked the Mira more. The Mira feels like a very solid guitar where things are very stable, it has nice clear and warm tones and is a beauty for the eye. It came with a suitcase included.

I am very happy with it, and expect I won't regret it. I thank everyone for their input, it really widened my perspective. I tend to go into tunnel vision mode in such matters and the forum helps with that.

See this idea of "Scratch and Dent" cracks me up in some ways. I own one mind you and I considered it a great deal....but one end of the market gets you a scratch and dent Korean made digitized guitar with modeled guitars in it for $900 while another segment of guitaroland pays $3k or MORE for guitars which are purposefully beat, dented, rusted and otherwise artifically aged Custom Shop built Stratocasters/Telecasters. When I think about that, my brain goes just wow....

I have long been mystified by the whole vintage guitar market. Where is it written that just because something is old, it must be good, and worth a premium price? And the faux-vintage market is even more bizarre. They take a brand new strat, drag it behind a pick-up through a gravel pit...and suddenly its worth $3K? Why not buy a regular one for $1200 and destroy it yourself? Boggles the mind...