Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What Should I Buy: Jtv Or Prs Guitar? (i Own A Hd500x)

LutherDeLorme

HNGD!

Well people, the eagle has landed, I bought a PRS Mira Orange.

This afternoon I tried a few guitars at the store: JTV 69, Fender Strat American and the Mira. I also liked the Strat a lot, but liked the Mira more. The Mira feels like a very solid guitar where things are very stable, it has nice clear and warm tones and is a beauty for the eye. It came with a suitcase included.

I am very happy with it, and expect I won't regret it. I thank everyone for their input, it really widened my perspective. I tend to go into tunnel vision mode in such matters and the forum helps with that.

HNGD!

Thank you! Had to google that one.:) Been playing it for a few hours now, and it is great! Love it! :) Quality guitar. It is a 2007 model and the price was then 1995 Euro ( is 2200 dollar), but I paid only 1200 euro (is 1320 dollar) cause it hanged in the store for a while, but it is in great condition, and has full garantee. Still a lot of money, but well spend. It is a great combi with my HD500X.

post-1913335-0-78931700-1394776116_thumb.jpg

One thing with the Scratch and dent, or "b-stock"  at least according to the websites.  The manufacturer warranty may not be in effect.

I was going to buy a b-stock from Zzounds.  They have pics of the actual guitar, but I wanted to have a warranty, especially with something with a computer and firmware inside.

you may and probably would be fine without that, but I decided to pony up a few hundred more for the brand new one.

Might not have warranty if it was a "demo" model that was thrown around and played, but if its a new, never been used guitar with only a cosmetic flaw and no functional issues, they can't not honor the warranty...L6 just sells it at a discount to one of their dealers because of the cosmetic issue. Otherwise its still a new instrument.

Plus, Sweetwater gives you extra year warranty on top of the factory one on just about everything they sell. Can't really go wrong with that.

not that i necessarily agree with relic'ing... but it can make sense to some degree.

for example if i buy a perfect 3000$ guitar, i'm going to cherish it touch it with kid gloves etc....

every ding is going to lower the value.... (turn into a 1500$ guitar in no time)

a 3000$ relic would be completely unaffected by dings etc and i could simply play the crap out of it...

knowing that it's retaining its value regardless. (will probably still be $2200 used)

assuming both are equally maintained etc.

just saying there is a bit of logic too it...

even though i don't always agree etc.

I have long been mystified by the whole vintage guitar market. Where is it written that just because something is old, it must be good, and worth a premium price? And the faux-vintage market is even more bizarre. They take a brand new strat, drag it behind a pick-up through a gravel pit...and suddenly its worth $3K? Why not buy a regular one for $1200 and destroy it yourself? Boggles the mind...

just saying there is a bit of logic too it...

even though i don't always agree etc.

There's a reason they do it, but imho it's a stretch to call it logic. They do it because there are people who are willing to buy them, end of story. But people can be concvinced that just about anything is worth money...our entire economy is based on this premise.There are those who are willing to pay $100 for a pair of jeans that already has 27 holes pre-torn into them...there's a market, but does it make any sense? Maybe it's me...

"If you take two things that have never been nailed together before, and nail them together...some schmuck will buy it from you."

-George Carlin

• Upvote 1

well it's like anything else... your musical heroes didn't necessarily play pristine instruments...

and they didn't necessarily earn the stripes on their guitars either... heck even SRV's "Lenny" was a pawn shop buy.

There's a reason they do it, but imho it's a stretch to call it logic. They do it because there are people who are willing to buy them. End of story.

"If you take two things that have never been nailed together before, and nail them together...some schmuck will buy it from you."

-George Carlin

well it's like anything else... your musical heroes didn't necessarily play pristine instruments...

and they didn't necessarily earn the stripes on their guitars either... heck even SRV's "Lenny" was a pawn shop buy.

Nothing needs to be pristine...that's my whole point. In fact, these ruined-by-design monstrosities have all the "pristine" sucked out of them before they leave the factory, and yet they're still functional. So if a $400 pawn shop guitar feels and sounds good to you, by all means buy it. But why on earth would you part with thousands of dollars for an instrument that looks like it was found at the bottom of a swamp, when the truth is there's not a scrap of difference between that Strat, and the $400 one at the pawn shop? To build a guitar that is intentionally made to look like it was used for target practice, then hang a tag on it that says "Custom Shop" and demand 5X the price, is asinine....once upon a time people were also talked into buying Yugos...but I digress.

I've got a couple of old beaters with dents, dings, and scratches that I refuse to get rid of, and still play, mostly for sentimental reasons...but they're not worth anything to anybody but me. If I tried to sell them on eBay for $3K, I'd get laughed at...but when Fender puts the same guitar in a red velvet case, and tell you it's "custom made", I'm supposed to believe it's actually worth the money? Nothing more than a good marketing campaign. And it obviously works...stores have whole rooms full of these things now.

For the same money, buy five old war horses from the pawn shop...leave them outside for a couple of New England winters, then take some 60 grit sandpaper, or a dremel to them if they still don't look sh***y enough for ya, lol.

• Upvote 1