Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume bump during "Channel Switch".

kzmaier

To simulate an amp channel switch of clean to dirty, I adjust the gain and channel volume to maintain a somewhat constant level.  When switching gain and channel volume I hear an unexpected volume boost/bump during the switch (button press).  I assume the parameters are applied one at a time and there is a small time between each parameter.  If gain goes up before chan vol goes down then a bump will occur until chan vol is applied.  Am I missing something?  I hope there is a way to work around this??

Thanks,

Ken

Try using snapshots to do the change which should give a more immediate change-over.  It can also depend on how many effects you have in your chain.  Instead of using channel volume, try using the main out level instead - it's set at at 0dB by default but either in each patch or in each snapshot, you can control the main volume level with this & it should avoid the 'jump'.  

10 hours ago, kzmaier said:

To simulate an amp channel switch of clean to dirty, I adjust the gain and channel volume to maintain a somewhat constant level.  When switching gain and channel volume I hear an unexpected volume boost/bump during the switch (button press).  I assume the parameters are applied one at a time and there is a small time between each parameter.  If gain goes up before chan vol goes down then a bump will occur until chan vol is applied.  Am I missing something?  I hope there is a way to work around this??

Thanks,

Ken

I have the same problem and I haven't figured out how. I turned down the volume in AMP, turned off the trails and it's still the same

21 hours ago, kzmaier said:

Thanks,

Ken

I've encountered that phenom with HD when I was way into doing morphing patches. A lot of the time I used an expression pedal, other times an expression button I made. A poor man's scene toggle for HD. I had a lot of settings on the expression and it was a pain to tweak those...The amp tone stack, gain stomp parms, delay mix, feedback...Most often, this was useful for crunch to lead...But there was often a spot in between where it would overshoot the volume as things were morphing as it moved to boosted...

It's a little easier to minimize it if you program the toggle onto an expression so you can find the min/max that works mostly and slow the morph down to understand what is happening and find some compromise...then apply it to a button...It can sorta work for some things, but I think the better way to do a perfect amp morph is to sequence parms individually...These days, you would be better served with a Helix or LT as you can just have a second amp or entire fx chain and just crossfade it with an expression pedal or button...

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 3:59 PM, kzmaier said:

Thanks,

Ken

I have this problem and for all I know, doesn't have an easy fix. If you think in real amps world, doing such a drastic parameter change will do exactly what Pod GO does... a volume bump.

changing snapshots or modifiing the last output parameter doesn't solve the problem. changing between preset is not an option due to lag. 

I managed to tame the bump using a Deluxe compressor just after the cab. so  The bump is not so drastic. good luck

On 2/3/2022 at 10:38 AM, sebabetto said:

I have this problem and for all I know, doesn't have an easy fix. If you think in real amps world, doing such a drastic parameter change will do exactly what Pod GO does... a volume bump.

changing snapshots or modifiing the last output parameter doesn't solve the problem. changing between preset is not an option due to lag. 

I managed to tame the bump using a Deluxe compressor just after the cab. so  The bump is not so drastic. good luck

Thanks Sebabetto,  I will give that a try.  I believe this is a digital world problem.  Analogue amps should not have this problem.  I think in the digital world this is a tough problem to solve.  I wonder if using Snapshot mode vs Stomp mode makes a different.  The way to solve this is to apply all settings at the same time or apply  boosts last.  I wouldn't mind a volume drop.  The volume bump is unsettling.