Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Re-amping - Helix Floor vs Helix Native

SteveJohns

Hi,

I'm digging in to doing some re-amping, with a choice of using either my Helix Floor or Helix Native for the job.

I've got my routing working either way, and they both sound great, but it appears there is one compelling reason to do the majority of re-amping "discovery" in Helix Native.

The reason is that, so far as I have been able to determine, checking out different patches via Helix Floor requires me to reset the Helix Floor patch input (e.g. to USB 3-4) every time I change to a new patch.

OTOH, when using Helix Native, I can just click on new patches bing-bang-boom, no input resetting required.   This is MUCH quicker!

Do I understand the situation correctly, or am I missing the trick as to how to re-amp with Helix Floor without having to constantly set the patch input?

(All the above using Helix ASIO driver, with a music mix playing back from the DAW)

Nope, you've got it right.

There's no advantage to using the HW for re-amping. That method was only really of use before Native was released.

EDIT: or if you find yourself in a situation where the computer you're using does not have Native.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveJohns said:

Do I understand the situation correctly, or am I missing the trick as to how to re-amp with Helix Floor without having to constantly set the patch input?

Hi,

Nope! You’re not missing the trick, you can use your hardware Helix to capture both the processed and dry signals into your DAW of choice. The whole point of HX Native is to avoid having to reset your Helix Floor to listen to a new USB channel to round trip your audio signal. 

I have both Helix Floor and HX Native and use them almost daily. I can record a processed guitar signal with full effects processing in glorious stereo. Great, but if I then play back the track and for some reason I’m not quite happy with the amp tone, or there is a little too much reverb overall or the overdrive is not as expected, it’s quite easy to then run the direct injected dry mono signal through Native and fine tune any, or all parts that are not just how I need them. Even when using the Helix unit as an audio interface. No re- patching involved.

Imagine that you have recorded a track and return to it a couple of months later and you realise that the original delay times are not quite right. Oh, dear, you left your Helix in the rehearsal room, it’s late at night and snowing. Load up Native and re-amp the dry signal and, modify the delay as needed - problem solved.

All the preset that you have in your hardware can be loaded into Native and modified for every eventuality.

Simple 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

I appreciate the comments and confirmations folks!

Given the situation, It occurs to me that

"Global Patch Input Override"      Off |  <input choice>

might be a nice feature to add in a future Helix Floor update. 

The user could turn this on during a HW (Helix Floor) re-amping session and save a great deal of time and motion for the duration of the session.   Then turn it off when done to revert to "normal"  (as now).

Cheers!