Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX effects with Mission Engineering EP1-L6

stewart13

Hey guys, I’m new here. I’m getting into the guitar world more seriously for the first time coming from being a bassist. I’ve decided I’m going to get an HX effects unit for the project I will be playing in. I’m going to need to utilize a wah, and from what I’ve gathered I want the Mission Engineering EP1-L6. Now, I’d much prefer the spring loaded variant so that leads me to my first question. Can you set the HX effects to recognize the engagement of the expression pedal without having to engage a foot switch? Or do I need an expression pedal with a foot switch in order to engage my wah from my expression pedal only. I want to conserve space I need for other presets and would like to just put my foot on and have wah. Also, is a TRS cable still needed for the expression input on the unit or can you just use a regular cable now? I was unsure about this when reading some threads. Thanks!

I don't use HXFX (I'm a Helix floor guy)  and I don't play bass!!

But.....

The Floor has a pedal, so there are arguments for using it and maybe using it as a Wah.

The HXFX doesn't.

If I was concerned about the feel and operation of the pedal, I'd use a real Wah - the one I like best.

Otherwise you will be limited to one particular Mission Control pedal I suspect that may not be everything you want (not that one as a Volume pedal wouldn't be a good idea)

So I'd use the wah I know and love!

3 hours ago, stewart13 said:

Can you set the HX effects to recognize the engagement of the expression pedal without having to engage a foot switch?

Yes, the toe switch is not required.  It can be set to activate after a determined amount of travel in the pedal. 

3 hours ago, stewart13 said:

Also, is a TRS cable still needed for the expression input on the unit or can you just use a regular cable now?

I'm not sure about that particular pedal with with the HX FX.  I use my expression pedal with an LT.  Mine is an old Crybaby I've modded,  there's a thread about it here:

I did stuff a spring in the toe to make it spring loaded. So it's working exactly in the fashion that you are inquiring about.  It performs great and is very solid. Been using it for years now. 

• Thanks 1