Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Switch to Snapshot mode from 10-button stomp?

mykejb

On the Helix Floor is there a way to switch from 10-button Stomp mode to snapshot mode without going back to the preset mode and pressing up/down at the same time? I can't find a command to assign to a button to make the switch or a MIDI mode change command

-- MIke

Global Settings > Footswitches > Preset Mode Switch

Set this to "8 snapshots" then the MODE button toggles between 10 stomps & 8 snapshots.

Once snapshots are enabled, the UP/DOWN arrows will open the preset screen. 

As stated above.... you can assign snapshots to any footswitch in stomp mode giving you instant access, at least to the ones you need most. 

8 hours ago, silverhead said:

You can assign a footswitch in Stomp Mode to recall any snapshot within the current preset immediately. You don’t have to go to Snapshot Mode first. Would that work for you?

I've never heard of that.  

How do you get out of that snapshot?  

Step on it again, like any other stomp?

9 hours ago, mykejb said:

On the Helix Floor is there a way to switch from 10-button Stomp mode to snapshot mode without going back to the preset mode and pressing up/down at the same time? I can't find a command to assign to a button to make the switch or a MIDI mode change command

-- MIke

Clicking once on FS6 should toggle back and forth between modes for you.

Maybe there is something in your settings that is preventing this from working, or I misunderstood the question, but here goes anyway. In Global Settings set 'Footswitches' --> 'Preset Mode Switches' = "your preferred setting" and set 'Stomp Mode Switches' = "10 Switches".

Now clicking FS6 ('PRESET STOMP'), the footswitch on the far right in the top row, should toggle you between stomp mode and whatever mode you selected for 'Preset Mode Switches', for example, Snapshots, Presets, Snap/Stomp, 8 Snapshots, etc.. Clicking FS6 again should put you back in Stomp mode.

9 hours ago, MGW-Alberta said:

I've never heard of that.  

How do you get out of that snapshot?  

Step on it again, like any other stomp?

This was added in the 2.9 update... In STOMP MODE you can now add anything you want to a footswitch, snapshots included. 

• Upvote 1

Most of the above suggestions worked for what they did, just not exactly what I wanted which was go from 10-button stomp mode to snapshot select with a single button press. The closest was HonestOpinion's solution but unfortunately although that switched to snapshot mode it didn't auto-return to stomp mode after selecting a snapshot even with "Snapshot Mode Switches" set to "Auto Return"

I ended up using a modified version of the MIDI control that switches modes on the Helix Stomp to do this. For anyone who is interested these are the MIDI CC settings which work with my Helix Floor model :

CC 71

Data:  0=Stomp mode, 1=Preset mode, 2=Snapshot select mode, 3=Edit mode, 4-127 toggles Stomp/Preset

So in my case sending CC71 with a value of 2 dropped the Helix into snapshot mode with all the snapshots flashing. Selecting a snapshot returned to Stomp mode

DIsclaimer - The CC details are from my own experimentation and are undocumented. If you try this and your Helix blows up or starts pulling faces at you it's your own fault :)

-- Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/16/2022 at 7:22 AM, mykejb said:

it didn't auto-return to stomp mode after selecting a snapshot

FWIW... That wasn't part of your initial question... :)    

I ended up using a modified version of the MIDI control that switches modes on the Helix Stomp to do this. For anyone who is interested these are the MIDI CC settings which work with my Helix Floor model :

CC 71

Data:  0=Stomp mode, 1=Preset mode, 2=Snapshot select mode, 3=Edit mode, 4-127 toggles Stomp/Preset

So in my case sending CC71 with a value of 2 dropped the Helix into snapshot mode with all the snapshots flashing. Selecting a snapshot returned to Stomp mode

That's is a great set of troubleshooting and a wonderful solution. Thanks for sharing it with us.

The Helix manual only states that CC71 is reserved for future use... here's hoping they document it to match the HX Stomp manual since it appears to be set up. 

I also prefer the way CC128 is set up on the HX Stomp Manual - LOL! 

"HX Stomp sends late-night texts to all of your ex-significant others, professing your undying love to them and their cats"

• Upvote 1

Even though it's undocumented with the Helix devices (only documented with the Stomp).... I can verify this also works with the LT. 

Although it might not be for everyone, I know it suits my workflow very nicely. Thanks again for sharing this solution with us. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/21/2023 at 1:31 AM, thirdspace said:

Hey - nice solution - is there a way to send this MIDI message from the Helix to itself? Say I wanted to use FS12 to send this message I would somehow need to get Helix to receive that message, no?

Try connecting a MIDI cable from the Helix MIDI Out to its MIDI In. YOU WOULD need to turn OFF the MIDI Thru function in Global Settings. Chaos and infinity would otherwise collide.

• Upvote 1