Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stereo not working

facefirst

So I'm running my Helix XLRs out to my interface.  If I add a stereo delay at the very end it only repeats in mono.  I've even tried starting from a completely blank patxch and adding just the stereo delay to no avail.  I'm sure it's user error but is there something I'm missing when running stereo?  Does there need to be split paths or something?

You don’t need split paths; each path is stereo. Make sure the Delay FX parameters are set to actually provide a stereo output. Make sure the Output block of the preset is not panned hard L or R.

First suggestion would be to try using headphones to see if the issue is within Helix or in your external equipment, or connections thereto.

• Upvote 1

There is ONE issue you have to take care about, when you want explicit stereo effects like stereo reverb or ping pong delay etc.: Never, really NEVER, put any mono block AFTER your stereo FX! You should always start with all the mono blocks in your signal chain such as wahwah, amp etc. and put the stereo effects to the end. When you, for example, program a stereo delay and put after that one a mono compressor ("what the heck should a compressor be a stereo effect??") then your whole signal chain will be, well, mono. So, you MUST, and there is no exception to this rule, use stereo versions on all the blocks after your first stereo effect. Even the volume pedal MUST be dialed in in its stereo version, NOT its mono version. Same goes for the final compressor ("that's, why you need a stereo compression ...") or any other thing you might need.

It is logical in itself, but most users tend to forget about this.

On 1/24/2022 at 6:18 AM, Axxxeman said:

There is ONE issue you have to take care about, when you want explicit stereo effects like stereo reverb or ping pong delay etc.: Never, really NEVER, put any mono block AFTER your stereo FX! You should always start with all the mono blocks in your signal chain such as wahwah, amp etc. and put the stereo effects to the end. When you, for example, program a stereo delay and put after that one a mono compressor ("what the heck should a compressor be a stereo effect??") then your whole signal chain will be, well, mono. So, you MUST, and there is no exception to this rule, use stereo versions on all the blocks after your first stereo effect. Even the volume pedal MUST be dialed in in its stereo version, NOT its mono version. Same goes for the final compressor ("that's, why you need a stereo compression ...") or any other thing you might need.

It is logical in itself, but most users tend to forget about this.

He said he put the stereo delay at the end of his chain. Specifically " If I add a stereo delay at the very end it only repeats in mono" so I don't think that applies to his situation. It is definitely a trap that I myself have fallen into but not applicable to this.

Just curious -- could it be the interface that is the issue?  Try an exaggerated left/right ping-pong slow delay and check left and right channels separately in an amp/FRFR.  If you only have the user interface as your amplification source, try connecting both sides separately.  Or pan the delay hard-left or hard-right so that you could be 100% sure that left and right sides are coming through. 

The reason I'm saying this is that in Logic, for example, you need to enable your track to be in stereo, otherwise it's in mono. 

Just for reference, here's how to change your track to stereo in Logic:

On 1/16/2022 at 5:02 PM, facefirst said:

I'm sure it's user error but is there something I'm missing when running stereo? 

Hi,

You didn’t mention if this stereo to mono issue happens with all your delays, or only certain ones. I mention this because Jason Sadites made a video specifically about the Transistor Tape model where, even when you select a stereo model, it is possible to have it behave in a mono fashion simply by setting the “Spread” to zero, and the “Scale” @ 100%.

Check this for clarification: 

Hope this helps/makes sense.