Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line Pod HD PRO X - Speaker

trugamer

Hi guys

At the moment I have a ton of tone patches that are AMAZING, however I can't get them to sound amazing on my gear!

ATM I am using my Fender Prosonic (COMBO) clean channel to drive only pre amps as cabinets/amp speakers are already voiced, which means they already have some kind of EQ on them. This means that I can't use MICs/CABs from my LINE 6. I've heard a ton of people with incredible tones but my setup at the moment gives me pretty much what my combo amp does already without the Line 6, and this tone is great for chords but a little fizzy on the distortion side for playing lead/single notes and bends. 

I've done some homework and people recommend FRFR PowerSpeakers to drive the Line 6 allowing me to use all the patch sounds as Line 6 intended. I'm happy to splurge £1k on a lollipoping brilliant speaker IF NEED BE!

I'm into a lot of lollipop but I'd love a tone like this 

Heavy metal Peavey 5150 EL34s and ENGLs are my sort of thing. If I find the Line 6 lacking I know the Kemper will do the trick (which is useful because I love LOTS of different amps/sounds from Whitesnake to Megadeth and Zakk Wylde, Firewind etc. etc. etc.)

As for FRFR powerspeakers I was hoping you guys could make some suggestions. After all if it turns out I don't like the Line 6 I can just invest in a Kemper PowerHead! Problem solved! FRFRs for those who don't know are speakers with as little voicing as possible allowing your gear (in this case my Line 6) to voice itself entirely on its own without any EQ from the speakers (which guitar cabs HAVE...that we don't want)

These speakers are in no particular order, I'd just love input from everyone! Thanks kindly in advance!

1. QSC K12.2

2. Yamaha DXR12 MkII 1100W Powered 1x12" (Someone said they had this and they liked it)

3. LINE 6 Stagesource L3T 1400W 3-Way PA Speaker (this one seems decent enough too)

4. JBL SRX812P Active 2-Way Loudspeaker 12"    (THIS ONE STANDS OUT FOR ME)

5. RCF RCF NX 12-SMA OR RCF RCF NX 10-SMA (Seen a guy review these, he reckons they are pretty amazing and should do the trick)

6. KEMPER Power Kabinet (some guy reckons this is better than an FRFR systems :/ ) Not sure if he's tried cheap lollipop ones or whether he knows what he's talking about!)

7. QSC Audio K10.2 2000w Powered 10" Active PA Speaker (some guys loves these ones)

Please make suggestions as I'm in desperate need for guidance! I'm sure there are a whole lot that will more than do the job, the idea is to get the most information out of this post to make some good decisions!

Thanks

Of all the possible connections between POD and an amplification system, the one between POD and the front panel input of a guitar amp is the worst (especially if you use the POD amp or preamp models).

I would rather suggest connecting the POD to the EFFECTS RETURN input of your Prosonic, this way you will avoid passing the pre-amp signal from the POD into the Prosonic pre-amp and it will go directly into the power-amp. Doing so you should get a much more balanced sound, less fizzy and boomy. (If you do, remember to set the 1/4" Out switch next to the pedal to LINE).

As for whether or not to enable cab models when POD is connected to a guitar amp, nothing prevents you from experimenting. Perhaps the cab models sound good through the Prosonic's amp/speakers.

Certainly patches built to sound through FRFR monitoring will never sound the same through a guitar amp. The suggestion here is to always build the patches with the same rig system that you intend to use live.

Regarding instead your question about FRFR monitors the best thing is to try them live with your own equipment, it is the only way to understand if you really like them.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Even going FRFR may not give you a tone you like. Here's why: 

Same room sound vs album ready tone 

They sound fantastic on record. They sound fantastic live through a pa. 

But they don't provide that bedroom tone we spent most of our lives hearing. Nor were they designed to. 

==================================================================

Modeling 101 states: 

You won't sound like a Fender or Marshall if you put a virtual Marshall amp/cab tone into a real Fender amp/cab. 

10 hours ago, trugamer said:

I was hoping you guys could make some suggestions.

The thing to remember about FRFR is that it goes by many names depending on the intended uses. 

Studio monitors. PA systems. (some) Keyboard amps. (some) Acoustic guitar amps. These are all examples of the same basic bland sound that you get from FRFR. 

So, go check out your local Craigslist. There's always someone getting rid of a little pa-on-a-stick system. 

I would rather suggest connecting the POD to the EFFECTS RETURN input of your Prosonic, this way you will avoid passing the pre-amp signal from the POD into the Prosonic pre-amp and it will go directly into the power-amp. Doing so you should get a much more balanced sound, less fizzy and boomy. (If you do, remember to set the 1/4" Out switch next to the pedal to LINE).

So I've put it in the EFFECTS RETURN of the amp but where should the cable for the Line 6 be:

in unbalanced return L/mono, (using the 1/4 switch here to LINE)

in the headphones,

in the effects send? (using the 1/4 switch here to LINE)

Also I've tried I tried it through the Effects Return before (through the headphones jack) didn't make a bit of difference, the speakers are just not for me!

So, go check out your local Craigslist. There's always someone getting rid of a little pa-on-a-stick system. 

Fortunately my friends have PA systems so I'm going to try theirs out!

4 hours ago, trugamer said:

So I've put it in the EFFECTS RETURN of the amp but where should the cable for the Line 6 be:

1/4" out - make sure you put a dummy plug into the the other 1/4" jack, otherwise it will sum-to-mono which could cause tone issues 

Fortunately my friends have PA systems so I'm going to try theirs out!

Don't forget the Pod's system settings. They make a big difference too. 

5 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

1/4" out - make sure you put a dummy plug into the the other 1/4" jack, otherwise it will sum-to-mono which could cause tone issues

the above comment doesn't make much sense to me..

the summing to mono feature exists for a reason..

If the guy connects the POD 1/4" jack output to the EFFECTS RETURN of his amp, ie to a single mono amp, the POD 2 channels signal needs to be summed to mono not to lose any part of the intended sound... so why on earth should he put a dummy plug into the other 1/4" jack?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Guys I need to bring us all slightly back to the topic. I'm getting a FRFR Powered Speaker and would love some help choosing. I have narrowed the list down a little more!

1. QSC K12.2 (this guy i know recommended QSC because it was a tried and tested for him and he loved it)

2. Yamaha DXR12 MkII 1100W Powered 1x12" (Someone said they had this and they liked it)

5. RCF RCF NX 12-SMA OR RCF RCF NX 10-SMA (Seen a guy review these, he reckons they are pretty amazing and should do the trick)

6. Red Sound ELIS 8 (these seem popular also, its been recommended to get 2 of these)

7. KEMPER Power Kabinet (some guy reckons this is better than an FRFR systems :/ ) Not sure if he's tried cheap lollipop ones or whether he knows what he's talking about!)

I can also say with confidence I probably won't go for Kemper Kabinet!

and FYI I've tried the Line 6 into the Effects Return of my Fender Prosonic combo and it still sounds the same as before!

I'm not an expert on speakers and what specifications I should look for so please if you guys can take a look at my list, maybe even make some of your own suggestions that would be great!

Also should I consider 2 speakers for stereo or is mono fine!

Thanks

-UPDATE- someone with a Kemper reckons Yamaha DSR112s are beastly! 

2 hours ago, trugamer said:

I run direct to the pa (mixing board, recording console, etc). But I do have options available for at home, small gigs, etc. 

I use a pair of JBL Eons. So, of your list, just by brand association, that would be my choice. 

7. KEMPER Power Kabinet (some guy reckons this is better than an FRFR systems :/ ) Not sure if he's tried cheap lollipop ones or whether he knows what he's talking about!)

Kemper Profiler users are very... I guess we could say, 'snobbish'. So, to me, it makes perfect sense that someone using their Power Kabinet would say it was better tha.... 

Also should I consider 2 speakers for stereo or is mono fine!

I always suggest a matched pair for stereo. But to each their own. 

A lot of people here use Head Rush and Alito. You can look into them too.

3 hours ago, trugamer said:

and FYI I've tried the Line 6 into the Effects Return of my Fender Prosonic combo and it still sounds the same as before!

We should probably start discussing the Pod's system settings and stuff like that. The wrong settings can lead to someone never having a good sounding patch. 

3 hours ago, trugamer said:

I'm not an expert on speakers and what specifications I should look for so please if you guys can take a look at my list, maybe even make some of your own suggestions that would be great!

First and foremost: 

Don't think in terms of a guitar amp. A 100 watt guitar amp vs a 100 watt pa system are not comparable. 

Due to my personal experiences, I would look for something that resembles a floor/wedge monitor. Something that you can stick on the floor at the front of a stage near your microphone. 

Personal preference, I would want a pair of something that can be connected together so that I have one master volume that controls both speakers, while still allowing me to hook up separate input sources in each unit. 

We should probably start discussing the Pod's system settings and stuff like that. The wrong settings can lead to someone never having a good sounding patch. 

I've tried tons of pre made patches and worked in my own from scratch, I'm pretty good at it now, the problem for me is my speaker in the combo amp, it's not BAD! It's just not good for those ENGL like tons, in essence whatever tone I get its still too similar sounding to what I can dial in the amp alone. Chords sound great, lead is a little fizzy, I've recorded myself and put it on youtube only to find out that it sounds pretty good, but it's not the tone I'm looking for. Plus if I do plunge for Kemper Ill need and FRFR.

I'm reading on the Kemper forums and this guy has 2 Yamaha DSR112s and thinks they are absolutely lovely!

I use a pair of JBL Eons. So, of your list, just by brand association, that would be my choice. 

Thanks, which EONs are they?

A lot of people here use Head Rush and Alito. You can look into them too.

Yeah I've heard of people using them and selling them etc. since I'm willing to spend a little more I think I'm more excited about Yamahas, JBLs, G66s, Altos...etc.

Ill update with more after I do more research :) I'm playing on a PA system this weekend at friends so I'll finally get some hands on experience.

Kemper & AXe-FX thru QSC- UPDATE - 

Apparently people using Kempers LOVE Yamaha DXR12 MkII 1100W so I'm thinkin to get 2 of em maybe! I will ask them what they think of the JBLs!

- dynacord axm12a has been mentioned!

I use a pair of JBL Eons.

How are they loud? Do you gig with them? Are they clear at loud levels?

O.K. check this video out: Yamaha DXR10 Vs Atomic CLR

It compares the Atomic CLR vs the Yamaha DXRs through a Kemper, the DXRs are flat out the winners, the tone is just unreal. It's not that the Yamahas are more bassey, not at all, they drive the sound whereas the CLR doesn't have that power.

Here's another video that people will find useful: Yamaha DXR10 vs Friedman ASM-12

This is the famous Yamaha again versus a Friedman ASM-12 and the ASM sounds nasally and too bright almost fizzy! 

So I'm starting to see why soo many Kemper people are liking the Yamaha's! I'm going to do some digging for JBLs because they are a SERIOUS contender.

Just for reference these are also a favourite in the FRFR community! G66 MF10s

What do y'all think of QSC K12.2...Yamaha DXR10 vs QSC CP8 vs 2 others that suck!

Here's some love for the QSC K12.2: QSC K10.2 on Kemper

(more to come)

-UPDATE- Apparently EV PXM-12MP this is a big favourite over the Atomic CLR! (The EV elx200-12p was rated TOP with Yamahas DXR10 2nd place!)

-UPDATE- The RCF NX12 have been described to have an INCREDIBLE TONE! Here's a youtube link of them being played they do indeed sound spectacular! Here's Another youtube link HIGHER GAIN RCF literally one of the best I've heard so far! Here's another RCF in a band.

QSC K10.2 w AXEFXII

OK SO NOW RCF NX12, QSC 12.2, EV PXM-12MP and JBL SRX812P are the top contenders!

-UPDATE- From what I've heard so far, the Yamaha DXR10s and the QSC K10.2 are a tad more bass heavy (JUST A TAD!) and they both "boom" out the sound, BUT, they do sound incredible and they are a little cheaper around the 5-600 mark. I don't know what this ACTUALLY says about the clarity but its a very nice warm tone!

The RCFs and Atomic CLRs on the other hand are a TAD...more bright...again its very little, the tone is fantastic, its just a little different. 

hey Chris they are all good speakers now days I really like the QSC and the EV speakers. one thing I did find after using this type of set up is that the plastic molded boxes resonate at a different frequency when compared to a timber construction box. at low volume you won't hear much of a difference but at gig volumes there is a noticeable difference. I ended up selling both my QSC speaker and buying 1xEV etx 12" box. with the timber construction it sounds and feels more like a guitar cab.

-UPDATE-

I've ruled out the Yamaha's and the QSCs! But the Atomic CLR is back in!

RCF, CLR, EVs and the JBL, but the EV ETX 12s are a tad cleaner than the JBL! So maybe that rules out the JBLs for the moment at least!

Check out this Atomic CLR vid 

-UPDATE-
Done a ton of reading, the majority of players going for FRFR instead of a more cab sounding speaker like the Friedman ASM12 lie specifically with

- Atomic CLR (Apparently these have a wider spread meaning more people can hear them in your band)
- RCF NX12s (These apparently are more focused in one direction with a lesser spread than the CLR)

There is debate still as to which one is more FLAT and better at producing the sound that went in! Lots of people who've had both voted either way so I'm no closer to which one is "better".

But I did find 2 little videos people new to this will like:
1. RCF vs CLR (this one is the RCF)

2. RCF vs CLR (this one is the CLR)

You can't tell which one is "more flat" from these two videos BUT I can say IMO the RCF has brighter, punchier cleans, whereas the CLR is smoother and more harmonic. Since a lot of people love their "cleans" as a base to a great tone, I can say the RCF has my attention here. 

The distortion on the other hand is another story...its a shame he didn't play the EXACT same thing on both videos you have to do some mental work to come to an accurate conclusion...the RCF is punchy and clean with a rich tone, the CLR is a bit darker IMO not as punchy as the RCF and the tone isn't QUITE as rich. So personally I'm in favour of the RCF here overall. IMO tone with the RCF takes it! 

Funny story, people with RCFs on forums were talking about "upgrading" to the CLR but the price is actually inverse! It's the RCFs which cost £1219 whereas CLRs are £810...used ones for £600! Second hand RCFs are still going for £1050+150 delivery so its better to get a new one!

Ultimately though I've spoken to people who have had both and they can't seem to agree which is better tone wise or more FRFR. I'm going to wait a while and will buy both before making my final decision as anyone in the FRFR guitar modelling world will tell you these two are the behemoths of FRFR, the Atomic and the RCFs. 

Note: I will also keep my eye for an exceptional FRFR speaker that may be overlooked in the "guitar" community but be hidden in the DJing world...maybe there is a hidden diamond out there even better than the RCF and CLR but I've yet to hear it!

-UPDATE-

As you know I have been considering 2-way speakers like the JBL SRX812 and the EV ETX12...my initial logic was these are high end speakers that mainly DJs use and are probably at your favourite rock concert halls...oh how wrong I was. It seems a great many people don't know when it comes to guitar modelling stuff you want COAXIAL.....NOT 2-way and such!

Here is a link - (scroll to user - Jay Mitchell) Basically this speaker expert explains that Coaxials are better for the "guitar world stuff" long story short!

At some point the Atomic CLRs were new and more expensive than the RCFs, now the opposite is true...the majority seem to go for the CLRs, and probably so will I come when stock returns...but I will DEFINATELY try the RCFs, though most people have said they've had em and preferred the CLRs I would love to do a few standard tests with both; namely running some MP3s through em and then some modelling! EV PXM-12MP and Atomic CLRs are about the same price...these will be my TOP priority!

I've also ruled out Xitone, in short they have a kind of bass voice and they aren't as clean and flat as the CLRs!

-UPDATE-

Looks like I'm going to have to try the Atomic CLR and Xitone 12' wedge maybe the RCF NX12-SMA and the EV PXM-12MP. These are clearly the top contenders with most love shown to the CLRs!

Thanks, which EONs are they? How are they loud? Do you gig with them? 

Without busting them out to see - 

They are older. None of this usb or bluetooth enabled non-sense. But I believe they are 15. Well, in fact, I know it is a 15inch speaker, and I am pretty sure that is the model, but not the complete model name because they have different years and features. 

They are plenty loud enough to gig. I do gig with them if needed, but I typically run direct and don't need to provide anything. It's my little sideshows that I may need to use them. 

They are pa speakers. A lot of people use them for 'pa on a stick' or hung from a ceiling. So, yes, they are plenty loud enough for most applications. YMMV 

Are they clear at loud levels?

(I missed this part when you edited) 

Yes, they are. That is one of the reasons why I said not to compare the watts to guitar amps. 

Public Address systems are designed to be clear when loud. Which is why you buy a 600-1000 watt 'clear' system for personal monitoring, while your buy 100 watt guitar amps to compete against drums. 

I don't use my HD500x much any more, but I have paired it with my L6 PowerCab 112+ and it sounds great.  I turn off the speaker and mic modeling in the output section and use the modeling built into the PowerCab for various speaker emulations and IRs (only the ones proided by L6 for free).   It also works great in FRFR mode.  I don't think L6 Link works stereo for these though.

I also have 2 Headrush 112 powered FRFR speakers, and they sounds great to me with the HD500x.

My favorite solution is my old DT25's via L6 Link (not an FRFR obviously).  They are available for very agreeable prices used now, but I don't leave the house with them.  Powercab is what I use the most.    

All of these solutions sounds slightly different