Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Native with Audio Interface vs Helix Floor with Audio Interface

evolz

Hello,

I am just wondering how everyone records. I have been plugging my guitar directly into my audio interface and using the Native plugin as well plugging my Helix floor into my audio interface via 1/4 output.

Is there  any preference to which is better? I don’t use my helix as an audio interface as some people do. 

1 minute ago, evolz said:

Is there  any preference to which is better? I don’t use my helix as an audio interface as some people do. 

Why not? There is one advantage to using Helix as your audio interface, especially when using Helix Native. You can record both the dry and wet guitar tracks simultaneously with zero latency and then use Helix Native on the dry track.

9 hours ago, evolz said:

I don’t use my helix as an audio interface as some people do.

Uh? The ability to record fully processed, and dry signals simultaneously is great - processed stereo on USB1&2, dry mono on USB7. Using your Helix as an audio interface also removes an extra stage of digital to analog and analog to digital conversion. You don’t mention what AI you are using for recording, but unless it is something outrageously expensive and/or exotic (Universal Audio Apollo, MOTU for example), then Helix gets the job done - simple. Caveat: yes I do have a cheapo Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD gathering dust in the corner - just in case, but not needed it so far.

I have used both Helix floor and Native, with Logic Pro, on an almost daily basis since I bought my Helix in late 2015 (Native arrived later, obviously). I also updated to a new Mac at that time, which led to me disposing of my “old faithful” Focusrite Saffire interface, as FireWire was no longer supported by the Mac. Helix is a great 8 channel alternative via USB. My powered Tannoy Reveal 8” monitors are connected to the Helix XLR output so I have zero latency.

As mentioned by “silverhead” in the above post, the direct injected dry audio can then be run through Native using different presets without having to reconfigure your Helix hardware to re-amp the audio. 

Helix is not just for recording guitars. It can work with drum machines, synths, vocal, whatever else you require with or without effects. Although, in the end it’s up to you how you wish to go about getting audio in and out of your DAW.

Hope this helps/makes sense