Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is it clipping, intended effect, or my ears!

Boydie76

Hi All

If anyone has any time I would really appreciate you casting an ear over the attached preset

It is my "bread & butter" pop/blues gig preset with snapshots going from CLEAN, EDGE (slight dirt rhythm), EDGE LEAD (a lead boost), and "Dirty Lead"

I have recently been trying to re-level all of presets to work with a Powercab 212 - so that when I connect with the L6 LINK it gets the input light into the AMBER but doesn't clip

On the EDGE snapshot I am hearing a high "fizz" type distortion and I can't work out whether it is clipping OR whether it is an intended part of the effect (Amp or Minotaur)

I don't think it is "unpleasant" but I wanted a 2nd (3rd, 4th, 5th etc.) opinion as I am at the point where I feel like I am chasing my tail and my ears are playing tricks on me!

I will get the chance to play it loud tomorrow night - but any feedback would be appreciated if anyone could load it up and have a blast on the EDGE and EDGE LEAD snapshots

Cheers

Boydie

Blues.hlx

Your preset uses an IR, without which there is no point in assessing the tone too deeply. You probably don't have the right to share that IR publicly. Try using a stock cab to come as close as you can to the tone you want us to assess and repost the preset.

Having said that, I applied my favorite Blues IR to your preset. I agree that there is some harsh fizz that I find unpleasant. I tried the following and am able to get a more pleasant (to me) tone:

- increase the amp's Bias setting to max

- decrease the Minotaur Gain significantly and increase its Level to maintain overall volume

- same Gain/Level adjustments with Kinky Boost and Scream 808 if you want further fizz reduction

btw... the 10-band Graphic EQ is not doing anything with all levels at 0.0db. Use it or remove it - right now it's just wasting a block.

I used a York Audio Deluxe 112 (Mix 01 - 57/121) and it sounded just fine (PRS S2 Custom 24 with VB/HFS pickups;2021 Squier Affinity Strat).

I didn't hear anything that shouldn't be there. If anything, what I hear is a preset that sounds strident in my living room, but will probably cut through nicely in the mix/live.

FWIW and totally unrelated (maybe) to your issue - I noticed that you're using the MASTER to level your snapshots. The Deluxe doesn't have a MASTER. The Helix default of 10 is intended to model the Deluxe as it is ITRW. I'm not sure what effect reducing the MASTER has, I've just always used the Channel Volume for leveling, as L6 intended.

Just sayin'. You might also try running the Reverb and Delay in parallel. I find that running them in series reduces clarity, as there's reverb on every delay repeat.

Matter of taste really, YMMV.

Thank you both soooooooo much

I hadn't even thought about the IR!!!

@silverhead  The EQ block is there ready to turn into a "lead boost" - but I haven't got that far yet!

I will end up recreating the preset from scratch, so your advice is really helpful 

@rd2rk - thank you for chiming in and testing. Your advice with the Powercab got me set up for my first gigs using it last year!

I am mainly levelling the presets against each other using the output block- but I am chasing my tail trying to get enough level into the Powercab to get it into the Amber, keeping the presets in the ballpark level of the Jason Sadites presets (as I understand he has optimised them for the powercab) and not have any clipping 

I was originally too hot, so reduced them all by 9db and turned up the powercab, but I couldn't get a consistent Amber led - so have turned them back up by 2.5db to get them close to Jason Sadites

I know it is a case of "tweak to taste" but I am determined to get the ones I have levelled properly before I start creating more....

Great shout on the reverb and delay in parallel, will deffo be trying that 

The preset does sound quite "stark" on its own, but sits perfectly in a band

Thanks again for the responses

Concerning the "Amber" LED level. You want your loudest snapshot - likely the LEAD snapshots - to be hitting amber. The other snapshots will necessarily NOT hit amber, otherwise they'll be as loud as your LEAD snapshots. Judge by ear how much lower they should be. Remember that amber is the indicator to hit to prevent the loudest sounds from overdriving the Powercab Input. It's not an absolute, lower than which everything sounds like crap.