Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Custom Sound-a-like Presets for POD Go?

ward_ma

I was wondering if anyone was aware of a site or forum that might have other's takes on how to set your presets to sound like "insert player/band/song here".  For example, a simple one might be Kurt Cobain's tone for "Come As You Are".  I play in a cover band that does a pretty wide range of tunes and it would make life a little faster if there was a good reference/starting point out there!

23 minutes ago, ward_ma said:

And thank you, silverhead, for not explictly pointing out that I'm a dummy.

Haha... I just asked a simple question.... no judgement.

But don't imagine that Customtone is some sort of pot 'o gold. There are many factors that may have you shaking your head wondering how anyone could think that a particular tone sounded like it's name. Generally it's at best a good starting point for tweaking to your equipment.

Oh, I totally get that.  A starting point is all I'm looking for with most of these as sort of a time-saver.  I know why my ear is "looking for" a lot of the time, but I'm not as familiar with every single stomp box/amp/cab model and so if I can find a starting point anywhere in the ballpark I hope to be able to tweak from there.

Aside from people's ears being different, another factor is that we all have different guitars, pickups, amps, cabs, headphones etc.  

Someone may have a great patch for e.g. a Gary Moore tone that they created for their Les Paul with Pod Go via a set of studio grade headphones e.g. Audio Technica ATH m50x (these are mine).  But if you a Strat and just use HiFi headphones or if you run your Pod Go plugged into the fx return of a 5w Marshall head and are going through a 2x12 greenback cab, it will sound totally different through your headphones or amp and with your guitar. 

In addition, some patches are made using a third party impulse response (IR) and not a stock cab model in Pod Go (which are IRs too that are incorporated into Pod Gos modelling directly). So unless you have the same IR you can load, it will sound very different.  For those who may be less familiar, a third party IR for Pod Go is a separate file in .WAV format that cannot be incorporated into the .pgp patch template file. Sometimes the patch creator will tell you which IR was used and give a link to it. If it's a free IR you can load it down and upload to one of your Pod Go's 128 IR memory slots. Otherwise you will have to buy it. You might be able to get close to it though with a stock cab if you know things like the cab and mic  model used. 

In Custom Tone there are sections to add helpful info and text about the patch, eg if there are snapshots, that they were using volume roll off, etc, but not everyone bothers completing this, which is a shame. There might also be snap shots in the patch so it's worth trying snapshot mode to check. 

17 hours ago, voxman55 said:

Aside from people's ears being different, another factor is that we all have different guitars, pickups, amps, cabs, headphones etc.  

Oh, 100%!  All of these custom tones are to be taken with a grain of salt a little bit.