Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx Stomp XL for two instruments

peostone

Hi all,

I have owned Helix floor for some time now and I really like it for its almost endless possibilities. Recently I bought HX Stomp XL as part of my small fly rig and has I play electric and Mandolin in my band I intended to have both connected at the same time and route the electric to my amp and the Mandolin to FOH. Since I started to set it up I have found out that I can not have (please correct me if I´m wrong) dedicated input for the instruments (would have wanted to use L and/or R or send return) nor outputs for this kind of setup...Line6 can you please make this possible :).

58 minutes ago, peostone said:

(please correct me if I´m wrong) dedicated input for the instruments (would have wanted to use L and/or R or send return)

Hi,

I’m not sure if I understand correctly what you are wanting to do, but if you check the HX Stomp XL Owner’s Manual pages 9 - 11, there are several diagrams showing various methods of hooking up your equipment.

You could have your guitar > L/MONO IN with your mandolin > RETURN L or R, the OUT Left to your amp and OUT Right to FOH.

I guess that would work, give it a try.

58 minutes ago, peostone said:

Line6 can you please make this possible

Line 6 staff do not routinely monitor these forums. 

As these are community support forums, please remember that your post is not a direct message to Line 6. If you need to contact our technical staff, please do so at www.Line6.com/supportAlso, please submit your product ideas at line6.ideascale.com so the community can vote up the best ideas.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

You can do it, with some caveats, which are mostly related to possible audio loop, so be careful while you are trying that using very low volumes. ;)

Since you can't split at the input as with the full Helix, you can do this way (im doing that on my head, but it should work just fine);

• Input set to MAIN L/R
  • Plug Guitar to L input on the back of the Stomp. This should be set to Instrument Level in the Globals
  • Plug Mandolin to R input on the back of the Stomp. Same as the above as for the Instrument Level.
  • Add a mono gain or a mono volume pedal to the path and through the use of the Action button, move that block to Path B, so that you split the path in two. This block could be bypassed, as it's needed just to keep the double path alive.
  • Select the Y joint just before the Output, and through the Action button, move that to Path B, so that you obtain a dedicated output for each path A and B.
  • Now you should have Path A ------> Output MAIN L/R and Path B -------> Send L/R. In the Globals, set Main Output as Instr Level to match your amp input, and Send as Line level for the mandoline to FOH.
  • Now go back to the Y joint just after the input, and through the rotary selector make it a Split A/B.
  • Assign the RoutTo param to a EXP pedal or a FootSwitch to swap between the two extreme positions; Route To A100 to play guitar, and Route to B100 to play the mandolin. Assign these two positions to the pedal, or better, to a FS for an instant swap.
  • You should now route the Left Output on the back of the Stomp to your amp front and route the Right Send from Stomp to FOH.
  • Main Right Output and Send Left Output are unused in this scheme.
  • You can now assign effects for guitar on Path A, and those for mandolin on Path B. If you need global effects, like a compressor, you can place it just before the Y Split. Since these are gonna be routed to full Mono, use only Mono effects to save and optimize DSP usage.

I attached a quick version for you to test. FS1 is swapping from Guitar to Mandolin. 

2Inst2Out.hlx

• Upvote 1