Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MS Teams, Windows 10 and Helix LT output

AndyDSA

Warning: Outdated tech ahead. This may be an unusual request

I have a Helix LT and a PC with Windows 10. I use Microsoft Teams on the PC with a USB Logi H390 Mic/Headphones headset which connects to the PC via USB

I get very clear sound through MS teams so was wondering if I could get the signal from my Helix LT via USB connection to be part of the audio signal in the MS teams conversation ie jam ideas without going through a phone (currently without a smart phone)

However, I believe Windows 10 cannot handle sound settings to accommodate the signal from both the headset and my Helix at the same time. I assume you have to switch devices on the input settings as I could only see the guitar input showing in sound settings when the Helix was connected but not hear anything in the headset

I also have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (Gen 2) connected to the PC. Obviously I can use this for separate mic/pre amp and the guitar signal

However, this is a basic jamming idea in MS Teams or Skype. Does anybody have any ideas as to how to mix the headset and Guitar/Helix sounds, perhaps before the PC so that I can just have the one input to Windows/Teams sounds with my voice and guitar mixed?

It's worse than you realize. The BIG issue with jamming online is latency. Over Teams/Zoom/WebEx there is SO much latency that it's impossible to keep time with another person.

There are low latency solutions - SoundJack, FarPlay, Jamulus. You should google those to get an idea of what you're up against. Once you get that sussed out, I'd plug your LT into your Scarlett and use that to mix your guitar & a separate mic signal to feed Teams. As you say, you can't use both your Logi headset and another sound source at once on Teams. Incidentally, I'd use a wired headset as well - wireless ALWAYS adds latency. For that matter, your PC/Laptop itself should have a wired ethernet connection.

What you want to do ain't easy.

• Upvote 1

No worries. To clarify, I wrote "to feed Teams" above, but you'll actually be feeding one of the low latency softwares that I mentioned from your Scarlett. Some folks still use Teams/Zoom for their video while using one of those others for audio, but I know at least Soundjack lets you send video as well - though I think it's lower resolution and black & white to minimize bandwidth. The sound IS the important thing. Good luck with this, BTW. It's not simple, but many have successfully done it and enjoy online jamming.

Great, thanks very much for this

The Scarlett 2i4 is the way to go. This might be stretching the bounds of this thread but I am having a hell of item sourcing a USB female to 1/4 inch adaptor as I thought I might be able to use the headset mic in one input and the Helix in the other. But I am unsure if that is possible and can't find much online of anybody doing it AND being able to monitor in the headset at the same time

Any idea if;

a) The Focusrite will accept the headset mic input?

b) I can split the headset mic and the speaker output to go to the headphone jack in the Focusrite so I can monitor the signal before it gets to the PC?

No, you can't adapt the USB headset mic into the Focusrite. It's a digital signal, so there's no adapter that'll work.

Ideally, you want analog headphones you can plug into the Scarlett for direct monitoring, and an analog mic or headset for your voice. Probably $100 for both of these to start. Then you can direct monitor voice and Helix (if you're using Helix line out into the Scarlett).

Thanks for highlighting the digital aspect. A minor oversight :)

Have just found out that there all kinds of driver issues with these (work issued) headsets anyway

Ahhhh nothing ever comes easy for us rookies when it comes to music and tech

Thanks for the clarification and suggestions. Time for more searching