Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Has anyone RECENTLY installed Line6 Edit? (Java Runtime v1.6 32-bit. not available)

I though this was a Windows 11 problem but after trying on my old Windows 10 PC I get the same error. Sorry for the re-post, I thought it was a Windows 11 issue.

Due to a hard disk crash I have to re-install Line6 Edit for my good old Pod 2.0. But the installer depends on  being able to download and create jre_setup.exe for Java Runtime v1.6 32-bit and that download fails. Being fully aware of the security issues with outdated Java installs, what are my options?

I'm surprised Windows11 even works with a 32-bit computer. Are you sure you have a 32-bit version of Windows 11? Go to Windows - Settings - OS Build Info. Under Device Specifications - System Type - Does it say 32-bit or 64-bit? My Windows10 64-bit computer runs Line6 Edit fine. Also why does the Java download fail? Is there an error message? 

On 1/19/2022 at 4:37 PM, daveny5 said:

I'm surprised Windows11 even works with a 32-bit computer. Are you sure you have a 32-bit version of Windows 11? Go to Windows - Settings - OS Build Info. Under Device Specifications - System Type - Does it say 32-bit or 64-bit? My Windows10 64-bit computer runs Line6 Edit fine. Also why does the Java download fail? Is there an error message? 

It's not the computer that is 32 bit but rather that the line6 editor is trying to download it. The computer is a new i9 Windows 11 x64.

If you look where the app is installed, it's installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Line6\ which is used for 32-bit architecture.

When installing it flashes a warning saying it needs the runtime, attempts to download it with a "Connecting" message then fails with another error message with no specifics given. When you run the app, it then gives you the message, "This application requires a 32-bit Java Runtime environment 1.6.0". It sends you to the JRE download but only 64-bit is available, I believe as I cannot find any 32-bit versions on the Java site. Only options appear to be on online file archives and they make me nervous, even though I have BitDefender.

Same error for Windows 10. So, if for any reason you lose your Line 6 edit installation (as I did) you can't reinstall.

Problem solved although I'm not crazy about having old Java on my PC.

I found the Java archives and figured out what appears to be the last version to support 32-bit Java (indicated by windows-i586 in the name, I guess named after Intel Pentiums): https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/javase8u211-later-archive-downloads.html 

This requires that you create an Oracle account. You have to be sure you are signed in when you are on the link above or the download won't work so check  the "Accounts" icon in the top right if you have trouble..

I downloaded and ran the file jre-8u311-windows-i586.exe and this time when I ran Line 6 edit, it ran as expected and connected to my Pod 2. and I am back in business! I hope this helps someone!

On 1/21/2022 at 1:25 AM, CrashAlpha said:

Problem solved although I'm not crazy about having old Java on my PC.
<snip>
I downloaded and ran the file jre-8u311-windows-i586.exe and this time when I ran Line 6 edit, it ran as expected and connected to my Pod 2. and I am back in business! I hope this helps someone!

This may or may not be something in which I'm interested at some point, but I heartily commend and thank you for following up and presenting the solution to the problem that you encountered. Wish everyone were so helpful and considerate!