Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tremolo bar thread size

Sure you don't mean Variax 600? To my knowledge, the original Variax, later dubbed the '500' was only sold with one body style, and it was a hardtail.

And the 600, which did have a tremolo arm, had one that snapped into a collar and was stabilized with a tiny allen set screw. The bar, itself, didn't screw in.

Not sure how to help you on this one - don't see anything with a 5-6mm thread.

Hi C -

I bought the guitar used & was not familiar with how a whammy bar attached to a L.R. Baggs tremolo bridge. There is a set screw, but I also thought that I saw a few threads inside of the collet. I’ll investigate further for the appropriate bar. 

Thanks for your input & have a good day. 

Sid

Happy to try to help. There's still the question whether it's a 500 or a 600. I suppose it's possible that yours may have been modded. I've attached an image of my 600, showing the bridge & tremolo. The set screw has been replaced with a longer one. But the end of the bar inserted into the collar definitely is smooth, and rounded at the end. No threads at all...

Variax 600 trem.jpg

Gotcha. I like the color combo of your 600. 

I registered my Variax & the serial number came up as a Sunburst 500, so the bridge may have been modded by the original owner. I’ll see if I can mic the inner diameter of the collet with a caliper to get the exact bar width. 

Thanks for the visual & the explanation - very helpful.