Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix as a Midi controller

laurentius75

Hello there,

I am using my Helix LT in conjunction with a Hardware sampler/looper called Octatrack. I wanna use the Helix as it's midi controller. I already figured out how to assign midi notes and commands to footswitches and all that. My problem is that I need a whole page full of midi commands for the external midi device and lack my usual stomp mode approach where I use the foot switches to bypass all my individual effects.

So my question: Is there any way to setup a second page with all the midi commands and switch back and forth between "normal" stomp mode and midi control mode? That would save a lot of money on buying an additional midi foot controller.

Thanks,

Lars

You're going to find out sooner or later, the Helix only provides a rather rudimentary MIDI capability for interacting with other devices.  Anything more complicated than simple interactions really falls into the domain of a fully featured MIDI controller.  In some cases, such as mine, it may be more advantageous to use an external MIDI controller to control and coordinate actions on everything including the Helix.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/20/2022 at 10:22 PM, laurentius75 said:

So my question: Is there any way to setup a second page with all the midi commands and switch back and forth between "normal" stomp mode and midi control mode?

As already stated... no, this is not possible the way you hoped it would be.

The best you can do here is set up your guitar tones using snapshots... then use your STOMP mode as midi control. For this to work using nothing more than the MODE button, set your preset screen to "8 Snapshot Mode". The MODE will toggle from Snapshots to Stomp and when you need a preset just step on the up/down arrows.

Don't forget about "instant commands" in command center. Loading a preset or changing a snapshot can send it's own series of midi commands although in my experience this requires an extra level of planning. 

I do agree with @DunedinDragon... adding a full featured midi controller to your setup is likely the best option. 

• Like 1