Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any way to control order of bypass execution in snapshots?

aoostdijk

I just got a Helix LT, and it's very nice so far, but there's one annoying issue that I hope is resolvable.

I'm building a live preset that has everything I need: clean, rhythm, and solo. It contains two amps, one for the driven, and one for the clean tones.

When switching from the clean to drive preset, I'm assuming that for a VERY BRIEF moment, both amps will be on while the snapshot is applying, and that results in an extremely harsh bit of audio in the buffer that also gets dumped in the reverb/delay. My guess is this wouldn't happen if the amps would first be disabled before the other one is enabled. Maybe it's unavoidable, and I just need to move the clean to a separate preset and forego instant switches, but that would be sad.

Is there a way to control the order of changes in a snapshot? Perhaps this could be a developer request ticket if not? Or to simply include logic that puts the amp disable/enable at the start/end of the chain respectively.

You mention 2 amps - so maybe as well as turning them on and off, add a change to channel volume (zero to hero and vice versa) and see if that removes the noise. If each change is added sequentially to the patch and read back that way (and no idea if it is) there may already be an order of precedance that can be managed through creation - never tested it but worth a try.

On 1/21/2022 at 9:17 AM, aoostdijk said:

When switching from the clean to drive preset, I'm assuming that for a VERY BRIEF moment, both amps will be on while the snapshot is applying, and that results in an extremely harsh bit of audio in the buffer that also gets dumped in the reverb/delay.

You "could" be on to something but I'm not a fan of assumptions... 

It would be easy to test the theory though.

• Create a simple preset with an amp on each path (no effects)
  • Hard pan each path Left & Right
  • Record the each output into a DAW... and go through the change of amps
  • Zoom in on the waveform at the time of the change and see if they overlap in any way. 

I've experienced all sorts of popping noises when certain blocks are enabled/disabled when switching snapshots.  First of all, ensure it's in fact the amp block, not something else.  For example, I had issues where acoustic sim would pop really loudly.  If you checked and the issue is actually the amp blocks, and if you must use 2 different amps, use the A/B switching.  Place one amp on path "a", the other on path "b" and switch between them (they'll be on all the time, non bypassed).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theElevators said:

I've experienced all sorts of popping noises when certain blocks are enabled/disabled when switching snapshots.  First of all, ensure it's in fact the amp block, not something else.  For example, I had issues where acoustic sim would pop really loudly.  If you checked and the issue is actually the amp blocks, and if you must use 2 different amps, use the A/B switching.  Place one amp on path "a", the other on path "b" and switch between them (they'll be on all the time, non bypassed).

Thank you.  This is awesome.  I used to be in a band that played a cover of My Sacrifice (Creed) and it was always a bit of a challenge trying to smoothly transition from the cleanish tone with reverb to the grinding tone with no reverb.  The expression pedal thing sounds like just the ticket ... if I ever do another cover of that song or similar that is.  I will build a separate patch to experiment with it to figure out how best to implement the feature on some of my regular patches.