Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

gotFormant? or better yet....

VmusicV

Hi

I looked in my HX Edit fx block list for a formant, and I didn't see any?

I also searched on the forum, in my closet, and in my neighbor's garage...... but didn't see any.  There is a mystery filter, but I'm nervous about trying it out. 

Am I missing something?  Is it in there under another top-secret name? 

I was trying to create a 3,275 voice choir with the synth engine, a formant filter, some delays, a super lush reverb, and some duct tape.....  but alas, I'll doubt I'll be able to get any ooOOOhhs, or aaAAhhs

Any Thoughts?
Choirless in CBus

6 hours ago, VmusicV said:

Hi

I looked in my HX Edit fx block list for a formant, and I didn't see any?

I also searched on the forum, in my closet, and in my neighbor's garage...... but didn't see any.  There is a mystery filter, but I'm nervous about trying it out. 

Am I missing something?  Is it in there under another top-secret name? 

I was trying to create a 3,275 voice choir with the synth engine, a formant filter, some delays, a super lush reverb, and some duct tape.....  but alas, I'll doubt I'll be able to get any ooOOOhhs, or aaAAhhs

Any Thoughts?
Choirless in CBus

I’m surprised that you don’t recall asking a very similar question way back at the end of 2018

In that thread you were directed to a link, which contained a post from Digital Igloo (Eric Klein, Chief Product Design Architect at Yamaha Guitar Group, Inc. / Line 6 / Ampeg)

As it appears that you may have forgotten - the quote from DI was:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Helix was designed to act as the centerpiece of one's rig; it was not designed to replace every component in someone's rig. If a formant filter is mission crucial, we've provided multiple ways to incorporate it into Helix's signal flow.”

Hope this helps/makes sense.

@datacommando    imma lucky I remember what I had for dinner last night dude.

This shows your lack of understand of what fx are

A formant IS NOT.... repeat IS NOT..... the same as a vocoder. Two rather VERY different things. 

• A formant is a filter. A filter - nothing more or less.  (think low pass, high pass,  or better yet filter envelope.......)  the filter filters out sounds or allows sounds that are in the frequency range common to certain vowel sounds.
  • A vocoder uses human voice and instruments sounds mixed together.

While both have concepts of human voice; a formant filter does NOT require human voice input at all, it's just a filter. 

Helix is a great platform, but musical expression at its finest requires outside the box thinking. I went bought the thing..... I hope the development team isn't stuck in the 1900s land (we're just supposed to make amps/cabs and pedals.... "oh my")

2 hours ago, VmusicV said:

Really? O.K. You don’t have to shout, and you don’t need to repeat anything, because I’m fully aware of what a formant is and what FX are - Dude!

Actually, what your reply shows, is you don’t bother to read what someone points you towards. If you had, then you would have gone to the thread that contained the comment from Digital Igloo regarding formant filters, and exactly why they are NOT included in Helix.

I will post the link again - hopefully it will sink in this time.

I usually say hope this makes sense, but in your case I’ll make an exception because I know it won’t.

1 hour ago, VmusicV said:

@datacommando    imma lucky I remember what I had for dinner last night dude.

A formant IS NOT.... repeat IS NOT..... the same as a vocoder. Two rather VERY different things. 

• A formant is a filter. A filter - nothing more or less.  (think low pass, high pass,  or better yet filter envelope.......)  the filter filters out sounds or allows sounds that are in the frequency range common to certain vowel sounds.
  • A vocoder uses human voice and instruments sounds mixed together.

While both have concepts of human voice; a formant filter does NOT require human voice input at all, it's just a filter. 

Helix is a great platform, but musical expression at its finest requires outside the box thinking. I went bought the thing..... I hope the development team isn't stuck in the 1900s land (we're just supposed to make amps/cabs and pedals.... "oh my")

So instead of being stuck in the 1900's you'd prefer to be stuck in the synth age of the 1980's and 90's.  THIS is the way  to do formants in 2022.  All you need to do is send it the appropriate MIDI and mix it to taste.  Get with the current age!!!! 

Vowels in today's age.

I actually thought your opening post was a joke....not because of the formant filter request (that's reasonable), but rather because of this line "I was trying to create a 3,275 voice choir with the synth engine"

If you actually bought a Helix for it's "formant filter" and it's "synth engine".... you obviously didn't do any homework before laying out the money :) 

• Haha 1

Oh, yeah - FYI - if, and when, I ever feel the need to go all retro - then this is the Vocoder that I use.

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/vocoder-v/overview

Here's a good free Choir complete with adjustable vowel sounds.

• Thanks 1

I can see the forum is void of visionaries......

as long as you think a guitar is pedals, amps and cabs..... you'll be forever STUCK and limited in the sounds you create. 

YES - I want to go bowling with golf balls. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to, if you see things differently. I want a personal flying machine. I want my guitar to make whale sounds.  So did Thomas Edison, Wilbur Wright and Nikola Tesla. They wouldn't settle for the same old guitar sound......

I will NOT be antiquated and mediocre in my thinking. I found this same restrictive, backward thinking on the Fractal Audio forum.  Just give me another amp or cab....   it's a sickness. 

But I will NOT be constrained to the status quo. I AM creative, inventive. I AM a visionary, a pioneer and a seer. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

So instead of being stuck in the 1900's you'd prefer to be stuck in the synth age of the 1980's and 90's.  THIS is the way  to do formants in 2022.  All you need to do is send it the appropriate MIDI and mix it to taste.  Get with the current age!!!! 

Vowels in today's age.

So.....when can I get an fx block to run 8DIO plugins?

YES - I want to go bowling with golf balls. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to, if you see things differently.

I can think of a reason... physics. But nevermind, I get it...an artiste such as yourself can't be thwarted by such mundane things as the immutable laws of the universe. You march right on down to the Bowlerama with your Titlest Pro V1's, and let 'er rip. When the guys with the white coats and butterfly nets come for you, just tell them you're "creating", and can't be disturbed.

I want a personal flying machine. I want my guitar to make whale sounds.

I want a sandwich.

So did Thomas Edison, Wilbur Wright and Nikola Tesla. They wouldn't settle for the same old guitar sound......

Those guys were guitar players? When did they find the time?

I will NOT be antiquated and mediocre in my thinking. I found this same restrictive, backward thinking on the Fractal Audio forum.  Just give me another amp or cab....   it's a sickness.

Fear not...I understand that Pfizer is working on a pill for that.

But I will NOT be constrained to the status quo. I AM creative, inventive. I AM a visionary, a pioneer and a seer. 

And modest... don't forget modest. You gotta play to your strengths, so don't leave out your defining characteristic. Sell yourself, man! Music is marketing....see ya at the Grammys!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, VmusicV said:

as long as you think a guitar is pedals, amps and cabs..... you'll be forever STUCK and limited in the sounds you create. 

YES - I want to go bowling with golf balls. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to, if you see things differently. I want a personal flying machine. I want my guitar to make whale sounds.  So did Thomas Edison, Wilbur Wright and Nikola Tesla. They wouldn't settle for the same old guitar sound......

So, to sum it up, we're all a bunch of anachronistic morons, and you need our help because you're too smart to figure out the antiquated hardware that you bought without doing your due diligence THREE YEARS AGO?

Yes, well, I think I have room in my schedule - let's see - would Feb 29, 2027 work for you?

• Haha 1

Not at all... the forum is full of people that work with the tools they bought into, not the tools they hope are coming down the road. 

I'm all for a "formant filter" in the Helix. But Line 6 doesn't owe me one. 

I AM creative, inventive. I AM a visionary, a pioneer and a seer. 

With that vision, have you considered buying a formant filter of your choice and inserting it in one of the Helix Loops? 
Then learning the midi implementation of each device so you can really get creative?