Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax custom patches in Helix

I’m trying to set up a few custom guitar models that I can just hit a stop box button (preset or snapshot) on the Helix and it will change the Variax.  In a live, dark setting I don’t have time to search for the model using the model selector.   I have Helix Edit and HD Workbench.  I need a Banjo, Sitar, and some alternate tunings with Lester and T-bone.  I can set each one of these up but I can’t save it for immediate recall.

If I understand you correctly I believe you should be able to use Snapshots to do what you want, as long as you connect your Variax to the Helix using a VDI cable to connect the two. This will permit you to set and store/recall a specific Variax model as well as alternate tunings on a Snapshot basis. You just need to assign the appropriate Variax parameters in the Helix preset to the Snapshot controller. 

If you want to use non-factory Variax models you will need to create those using Workbench HD and load them onto your Variax guitar. You don’t need to customize the tunings in Workbench HD; you can do that with the Helix preset and snapshots.

So, some questions:

1) Are you using the VDI connection and including Variax as an input source in the preset’s Input block?
2) It seems you have tried unsuccessfully to use Snapshots for this purpose. Consult the manual section on using snapshots to make sure you understand how this works. Make sure you are assigning the parameters to the snapshot controller and that your changes in each snapshot are being saved before moving to the next snapshot. The Global Setting for Snapshot Edits will be handy here.

3) If you’re still having difficulty please describe exactly what you are doing in Step 2, because something is not being done properly.

So, some questions:

1) Are you using the VDI connection and including Variax as an input source in the preset’s Input block?  YES
2) It seems you have tried unsuccessfully to use Snapshots for this purpose. Consult the manual section on using snapshots to make sure you understand how this works. Make sure you are assigning the parameters to the snapshot controller and that your changes in each snapshot are being saved before moving to the next snapshot. The Global Setting for Snapshot Edits will be handy here.  I was able to get it to work but am having dificutly getting patches (alt tunings) to save for recall.  It doens't help that Edit keeps shutting down. 

3) If you’re still having difficulty please describe exactly what you are doing in Step 2, because something is not being done properly.

3 minutes ago, aed1421 said:
..  I was able to get it to work but am having dificutly getting patches (alt tunings) to save for recall.  It doens't help that Edit keeps shutting down. 

Make sure that in the preset you select Per Preset for the overall Settings, and Custom for the Variax Tuning.

The problem with HX Edit is a different issue. Make sure you are not using a USB hub, even an internal one (usually hidden behinbd the front panel usb ports on your computer). Try using a rear panel usb port.

All what you need to do is select the "snapshot mode"

Click right on the guitar model on the Variax  model section  into Helix edit and check Snapshot mode and save

This will change the Model and/or tuning

Take a look at this video on 3.16 min