Jump to content

Re-20 Twist Effect


bbensen
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 1/22/2022 at 2:52 PM, DunedinDragon said:

Yes Line 6 has.  Oddly enough it's called the Cosmos Echo in the Delays section of your Helix effects list.

 

 Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I know about the Cosmos Echo, the RE-20 does what's called the "twist" effect when you hold down the tap pedal. To quote the manual, "

The twist effect simultaneously increases the repeat rate and the intensity, causing the echo sound to oscillate. In addition, the echo volume level is controlled."

 

BUT the Cosmos Echo is based upon the RE-201, it has no Intensity setting.

 

I've tried a few things, but nothing seems to replicate that Twist effect.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, bbensen said:

BUT the Cosmos Echo is based upon the RE-201, it has no Intensity setting.


Hi,


That’s true, but IIRC the “twist” effect was created on the original Space Echo by manipulating both the the speed and intensity to create the oscillation and pitch shift craziness.

 

I haven’t felt the need for any dub style echo recently, but you could try assigning the Note Sync (Speed) and Feedback (Intensity) to an expression pedal. Possibly, that way you can recreate the “twist” by pushing forward on the pedal to achieve the desired weirdness, by increasing the feedback and time.
 

Warning - be very careful when messing with this kind of stuff as it could make the earth wobble off it’s axis. Just experiment, you aren’t going to chew up any tape!

 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, datacommando said:


Hi,


That’s true, but IIRC the “twist” effect was created on the original Space Echo by manipulating both the the speed and intensity to create the oscillation and pitch shift craziness.

 

I haven’t felt the need for any dub style echo recently, but you could try assigning the Note Sync (Speed) and Feedback (Intensity) to an expression pedal. Possibly, that way you can recreate the “twist” by pushing forward on the pedal to achieve the desired weirdness, by increasing the feedback and time.
 

Warning - be very careful when messing with this kind of stuff as it could make the earth wobble off it’s axis. Just experiment, you aren’t going to chew up any tape!

 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

 Unfortunately, I tried this and it didn’t work the way the RE-20 does it. I was hoping the big brain collective here might have had another idea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, bbensen said:

 

 Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

 

 

Maybe sarchasm is such a strong temptation here, too hard to hold off it!

Thanks to datacommando, who shared with the community an interesting delay trick I asked for in an old, misunderstood or not enough clear post.

Seriously, if expert users are bored with common people interested, for a little piece of their leisure time, in playing with an electronic toy (as helix for someone may be), please be patient. It will be appreciated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, pierpatrip said:

Maybe sarchasm is such a strong temptation here, too hard to hold off it!

Thanks to datacommando, who shared with the community an interesting delay trick I asked for in an old, misunderstood or not enough clear post.

Seriously, if expert users are bored with common people interested, for a little piece of their leisure time, in playing with an electronic toy (as helix for someone may be), please be patient. It will be appreciated. 

I meant no sarcasm, just that I wasn’t clear enough in my ask. 
 

Sometimes we think we are conveying what we are thinking and trying to do so in as few words as possible. When in fact, we need to add more detail. Which is why I clarified what I was asking originally. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, bbensen said:

 Unfortunately, I tried this and it didn’t work the way the RE-20 does it. I was hoping the big brain collective here might have had another idea. 


Hi, again.

 

Hmm… I would have sworn that I managed to put the Cosmos delay in to oscillation by using the time and feedback being swept with an expression pedal. I’m not in the studio for a while so I haven’t been able to set up a test, but I found this that may point you in the right direction to achieve the “twist” effect by add Ramp into the equation.

 

Experiment - you can’t damage virtual tape!

 


Hope this helps/makes sense.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, bbensen said:

 Unfortunately, I tried this and it didn’t work the way the RE-20 does it. I was hoping the big brain collective here might have had another idea. 

 

@datacommando is right. You can manipulate this effect by attaching an expression pedal to the time/feedback. 

This will work best if you have the Cosmo's set to "millisecond time".... and you "decrease the time" while "increasing feedback" with the pedal. 

 

If you run the cosmos in "tempo time" (eg: 1/8, 1/4, etc...) then you need to "increase the tempo" while "increasing feedback"... and you also need to set "Global Settings > Preferences > Tap Tempo Pitch" to "authentic". This is a more difficult way to produce the effect than simply using "millisecond time". 

 

NOTE: In the videos I saw of the effect on the RE-20, the effect occurred while a lush reverb remained unchanged in the background. To do this on the helix, a 2nd reverb will need to be placed on a parallel path. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...