Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp with Simplifier Deluxe issues

Beckybrown

Hi Guys,

I have my HX stomp in the effects loop of a Simplifier Deluxe. With help frm this forum and TGP, I’ve got a ‘parallel amp’ set up w stereo fx frm the stomp. It’s set up in 7CM and the Simplifier DLX XLR outs go to the PA. 

I should have a pretty good sound going here, yes I now have minimal latency and better response/feel (which was a big goal) HOWEVER when I engage any gain, there’s that awful fizzy sound that almost sounds like a digital clipping thing. Like frequencies are clashing? I’ve  APPLIED LOW & HIGH CUTS and though that’s improved the tone, I’m still getting these digital ‘overtones’ esp on the higher strings. 
Am not sure whether it’s something I’ve done or haven’t (!) or it’s just a reality of ‘analog’ modelling. Perhaps the Simplifier and the HX just don’t react well together in this set up? Here’s my signal chain, perhaps one of you clever people can see something I can’t! 

Guitar - HX stomp mono in. 
HX send to DLX input left - TRS cable. 
DLX send to HX L & R returns - Y cable 

DLX returns L & R to HX L & R outputs. 

Other settings - 

HX preset has a stereo FX loop block with all time based FX after, any overdrives before. 

FX loop level is at 50-60%. Send level is pushed slightly to help with volume and gives the guitar some ‘body’ (otherwise it sounds like I’m plugged in to the home stereo) 

I’ve BYPASSED the Simplifier DLX preamp section, using the amps in the HX which gives much more versatility. (Using the CAB SIM of the DLX…Not ideal but can’t do it the other way around) 

This set up DOES take my analog pedals much better than the HX stomp by itself, which is another reason I went for the Simplifier. However the fizz still occurs with my Wampler Plexi Drive and Bogner Burnley. 

AAAAHHH. Is it the FX loops of both these devices can’t quite take the heat? Or is it the 7CM thing, as much as stereo is a great idea perhaps I need to go back to mono. 

Have spent a month on this set up and beyond frustrated. I’ve learned SO much but with a gig in 3 days it’s not there yet and I’m halfway between Simplifier remorse and WTF am I doing wrong?!!!! 

Any help or thoughts would be very much appreciated! :) 

By my reading of the schematic in the manual, the only way that the signal gets from the DLX Returns to the XLRs is through the Power Amp and Cab Sim.

That means that you should try using the HXS Preamps instead of the Full Amps to avoid having two Power Amp sims running at once.

To test this, using an HXS Amp+Cab, put the Cab Bypass switch ON and take the TS outs to the board.

Then using an HXS Preamp, take the XLRs to the board.

In both tests, don't be afraid to use the HXS amp/preamp tone-stacks to get the best sound for that configuration.

One of those configurations should sound better than the other.

Everything else looks OK.

Didn't we do this somewhere else?

Apparently, it's possible to turn the SIMPLIFIER into a COMPLICATOR! :-)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Didn't we do this somewhere else?

Apparently, it's possible to turn the SIMPLIFIER into a COMPLICATOR! :-)

Yep, the Humbolt Simplifier occurred in another thread quite recently. Obviously not that simple a device. ;-)

Similar double posts re: scroll speed on editing when using the knobs.

Ahhh yes we have done this before!!! 
Last time it was to resolve why I couldn’t by pass the cab sim of the Simplifier DLX. 
I started a new thread because this was about the fizz I’ve been getting using this set up. However I did discover running the stereo fx loop at 100% mix has improved that significantly! 
NOTED re the preamp vs amp thing. Interesting, even tho choosing an ‘amp’ block rather than a preamp block seems to sound better to my ears. (even tho yes, technically am running thru two power amps. 
This experiment I will do asap. 
It does seem that the Simplifier is quite the opposite!!! He hee. However with all the routing options, it’s HOW you set it up - specifically - in full stereo. 
Once that’s done you’re set. It truly does give the ‘analog’ feel and response. Thanks to you rd2rk for getting me this far!!!! 

3 hours ago, Beckybrown said:

NOTED re the preamp vs amp thing. Interesting, even tho choosing an ‘amp’ block rather than a preamp block seems to sound better to my ears. (even tho yes, technically am running thru two power amps.

The only rule:

"If it SOUNDS good, it IS good!" - Duke Ellington

• Like 1

Well, funny that. I named my dog after Duke Ellington. True story!!! 

FWIW, thought I’d provide some feedback after doing a gig with this set up yesterday. 
After a month of putting this new board together I was much relieved when I strummed the first chord and everything worked!

Here’s the go.

I got a TRUE stereo sound. Lush, beautifully balanced left and right out of the PA. Of course all the HX effects placed after the loop in each preset are the stereo versions. The Simplifier DLX is in parallel amp mode and that worked GREAT. Goal. Achieved. 

At some stages the guitar sounded SO huge…it was almost too much. Who would have thought a guitarist would say that?! Lol. A confirmation that we may sound humongous during our monitors at home (I use KRKS) but it’s gotta sit in the mix. We use backing tracks live - that have been tweaked by me to sound full and punchy - but there were songs I just overtook the lot….and it wasn’t just about volume. More work to be done there. It MAY be about using an AMP block vs a PREAMP block in the HX stomp, as much as the former seemed a better choice - the latter might do the trick to help the guitar to sit better in the mix. Honestly, at times it felt like I had ten Marshall’s behind me !!! 

The SIMPLIFIER was set and forget. I’m only using the cab and power amp SIMS - not the preamp section…EL34s, speakers in ‘stack’ mode. Ha. So that works - got that Marshall stack feeling for sure.

The Simplifier DOES DELIVER THE ANALOG TONE and FEEL. No latency or disconnect. This kinda blew my mind. Particularly noticeable during solos, I can no longer hide behind massive saturation. The tone is DIRECT. Like my Orange AD30 or Fender Deluxe Reverb. Sure, I can sweeten things up w gorgeous delays etc but after using only the HX stomp for two years as my direct rig, this was a particularly noticeable change. It. Feels. Real. Therefore magnifies my actual articulation and technique which is not a bad thing. At all. 

Finally, the in built reverb in the DLX is supa useable. Again, sounds ‘real’ ! Used it on the ‘room’ setting dialled in at about ten to. 

This set up seems to really ‘bring out’ the character of the HX amps. The differences between the amp models are more obvious now and I’m chuffed with that. At this point I’m not missing my IRS. We’ll see!!! 

Finally, I use a tele and a CE24 PRS live, both guitars worked without me having to alter the preset. Another goal ticked off. Interesting tho how much a needed to hang around the bridge pick up on both, usually I hang in the middle - but yesterday I couldn’t. Too much bass in the presets, also the DLX resonance controls may need tweaking. Lucky I bought the PA home! Will experiment w some tone stacking within the HX also. 

Thought you guys might get something out of this info. Hope so, you’ve been very helpful to me getting this up and running. Thanks again :)