Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What's this clip for?

KILRCUDA

Heard something rattling around in my Helix Floor.  Opened it up and found this piece.  Any ideas what it is for and how I would put it back where it goes?  It’s about 3/4 of an inch long and about 1/4 of an inch wide.  Thanks!  Sean

56EA3778-7A09-4AE0-B218-EFE43598E58F.jpeg

7 hours ago, KILRCUDA said:

Any ideas what it is for and how I would put it back where it goes?

Oh my god!

It looks like one of the retaining plungers that are used on the crystal absorption unit built into the front end of the spronk flangers. You may have to switch to battery power, but whatever you do - don’t expose it to daylight. Arrrgg - too late! Immerse it in a bucket of blue steam and wait for the disposal team to arrive.

• Haha 2

I wonder if it might be a support of some kind.  

Like maybe something that holds a circuit board or a bundle of cabling in place.

If it were mine I'd have another look inside to see if there are any more of them; see what they do.

Or it could be something completely unrelated that happened to fall in through the slot under the expression treadle.

20 hours ago, KILRCUDA said:

Any ideas what it is for

O.K. Seriously, check the XLR sockets on the rear and on the one marked RIGHT you should be able to see a small metal tag. If you don’t see it then that might be your “clip”. I think the metal tab is to detect if you’re using the LEFT XLR for a mono output, but don’t quote me on that, it’s just a guess.

As for putting it back in place, we’ll that would require opening up your Helix. You don’t say how old the Helix is and/or if it is still within warranty. If it is covered, simply raise a ticket with Customer Support.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT: Stranger, and stranger - the promo pic of the rear panel on the Line 6 Helix site shows a metal tab on the right XLR socket, but I found a similar rear panel shot on a U.K website and you can clearly see 2 metal tabs - one on each. Uh?

https://line6.com/helix/helix-floor-rack.html

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/150611287296002--line-6-helix-floor

Edited by datacommando
Added links
  • Upvote 2

It is the metal piece that is inside of the XLP jack!  Musta got pushed out when my sound tech (ahem...me!) pushed the cable in.  Here it is back in its place.  Thanks for all your help and did get a chuckle out of the comments!  

66500767460__47C311DC-24A3-4E0E-B5EA-76EA60F3A4BA.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, KILRCUDA said:

It is the metal piece that is inside of the XLP jack!

Yay - solved! Hope you didn’t mind our sense of fun, especially on your first post!

I still can’t understand why some pictures of the Helix XLR sockets show the metal tag on the Right only and others show them on both Left and Right. Oh, hum - file under “weird”.

On 1/28/2022 at 6:46 PM, datacommando said:

Yay - solved! Hope you didn’t mind our sense of fun, especially on your first post!

I still can’t understand why some pictures of the Helix XLR sockets show the metal tag on the Right only and others show them on both Left and Right. Oh, hum - file under “weird”.

Nothing wrong with poking a little fun!  That would be weird that only one of the XLR outs would have the clip in.  It's needed to keep the cable from falling out.  Maybe it is the lighting angle used in the pics????

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KILRCUDA said:

Nothing wrong with poking a little fun!  That would be weird that only one of the XLR outs would have the clip in.  It's needed to keep the cable from falling out.  Maybe it is the lighting angle used in the pics????

Hi, Sean,

Yup, it's where the XLR lock connects into the socket.

It might be advisable if you edited this thread's title to read "What's this clip for? (SOLVED)" , in case anyone else encounters the same issue, it may make it easier to find.

Thanks and have fun with your fixed Helix. ;-)