Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD500 Recording question

pratikb

Hi All,

I use Reaper to record hower, when I record via Pod Hd500... the recorded guitar part feels like it has a lot of reverb when actually the reverb is off... The guitar part is not 'in the face' but feels like the recording is done from far ...

Please help

Any suggestions will be helpful

Both track monitoring in the DAW and POD direct hardware monitoring are likely enabled at the same time, and DAW monitoring by its nature is plagued with latency (delay) which is out of phase with the direct signal and results as kind of a bad echo effect.

The solution is to disable track monitoring in the DAW.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

As long as you do not share the audio demo you posted above in google drive (by setting the relative permissions), it will not be possible to download and listen to it.

However, if DAW monitoring is disabled as you said, and no delay or reverb effects are active, the only parameter I can think of that could give a reverb-like effect is the ER (early reflections) of the cab when this is set to the maximum (or close) value, thus giving an effect similar to a room reverb.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19IpfdneMGOpl0BOxuEWYd3Nu_C3ZrUj4/view?usp=drivesdkThank you for getting back to me.

The track monitoring is disabled however below is the link to the guitar recorded over the song.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19j5-oNutBA8MWLQ8gv-tbuwQUxt7sBbq/view?usp=drivesdk

If you listen to this you would understand my dilemma

Thanks once again

Please check it now

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19IpfdneMGOpl0BOxuEWYd3Nu_C3ZrUj4/view?usp=drivesdk

3 hours ago, pratikb said:

The track monitoring is disabled however below is the link to the guitar recorded over the song.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19j5-oNutBA8MWLQ8gv-tbuwQUxt7sBbq/view?usp=drivesdk

If you listen to this you would understand my dilemma

Yes, I can clearly hear a long reverb effect applied to your guitar track.. if it is not from the POD it must be from the DAW..

If there is no reverb effect in the POD chain it is impossible for it to come from the device.

Anyway, if you want, put your patch here as an attachment so we can check it and see if we get the reverb from nowhere too, or if there is a logical reason why it is being heard.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

4 hours ago, pratikb said:

Hello Hurghanico,

Please find the attached 2 patches i use for recording in Reaper.

Thank you for looking into it 

Lincoln Brewster-Reaper.h5e 4.04 kB · 1 download Marshall 45-Reaper.h5e 4.04 kB · 1 download

As soon as I opened your patches (without even trying them with my equipment) in the Editor I saw the reason of your dilemma:
both patches include a long delay fx active in the chain.

With certain settings the delay fx works as a sort of reverb.
Turn off the delay fx and your patches are "reverb" free.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

3 hours ago, pratikb said:

But shouldn't the patch be reverb free , when the purpose of the delay is 'delay' and not reverb??

Obviously if there's no active reverb in the chain, the patch is technically reverb free, but your patches contain an active delay, and generally speaking both the delay and reverb are time-based effects that add, albeit differently to each other, a sort of third dimension to the sound, a sense of space and distance.

In a sense, reverb is basically made up of multiple "delays" and feedback that make the "echoes" blur together.

On 1/28/2022 at 3:59 PM, pratikb said:

The guitar part is not 'in the face' but feels like the recording is done from far ...

Turn off the the delay in your patches and your guitar part will be 'in the face', guaranteed..

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2022 at 12:32 AM, hurghanico said:

As long as you do not share the audio demo you posted above in google drive (by setting the relative permissions), it will not be possible to download and listen to it.

However, if DAW monitoring is disabled as you said, and no delay or reverb effects are active, the only parameter I can think of that could give a reverb-like effect is the ER (early reflections) of the cab when this is set to the maximum (or close) value, thus giving an effect similar to a room reverb.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

On 1/30/2022 at 4:30 PM, hurghanico said:

Yes, I can clearly hear a long reverb effect applied to your guitar track.. if it is not from the POD it must be from the DAW..

If there is no reverb effect in the POD chain it is impossible for it to come from the device.

Anyway, if you want, put your patch here as an attachment so we can check it and see if we get the reverb from nowhere too, or if there is a logical reason why it is being heard.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

7 hours ago, silverhead said:

Have you tried what hurghanico suggested? Turn off the delay on your patch and see if the ‘reverb’ disappears.

I will do it today.

3 hours ago, hurghanico said:

Obviously if there's no active reverb in the chain, the patch is technically reverb free, but your patches contain an active delay, and generally speaking both the delay and reverb are time-based effects that add, albeit differently to each other, a sort of third dimension to the sound, a sense of space and distance.

In a sense, reverb is basically made up of multiple "delays" and feedback that make the "echoes" blur together.

Turn off the the delay in your patches and your guitar part will be 'in the face', guaranteed..

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Thank you once again

10 hours ago, pratikb said:

Thank You Hurghanico for your expertise... issue resolved

You're welcome

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips