Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx effects post effects set up

jcwaldo

Hi there... I'm sure I'm making this harder than it needs to be but I'm getting super frustrated with trying to set up an effects loop. At this point I'm just trying to put the effects in the amp's effects loop just like on page 9 of the HX Effects manual (post effects). Guitar in the amp input then the signal chain is Kinky Comp>FX Loop 1>70s Chorus. Loop send /return levels are at 0db. The problem seems to be that with the loop mix set at 100 percent I get nothing and with it at 0 I get all sounds. This seems backwards to me. Am I thinking correctly and do I have everything set up right? Let's not worry about 4CM right now lol. The only thing in the effects loop is the chorus so why am I not getting any volume at all when mix is set to 100 percent? Do I need to put fx loop 2 after the chorus? Also, how doed hx know where the loop "ends" What if I want put something after the loop ? This is frustrating. Thanks for any help, Jeff 

As I understand it you are putting your HX FX device in the amp's FX Loop, correct? So your signal path is: Guitar -> Amp Guitar In -> Amp FX Loop Send - > HX FX -> Amp Fx Loop Return ..... Is that right? This setup is equivalent to putting a series of analog pedals in your amp's FX Loop. You are just using the HX FX device as a simple series of FX blocks/pedals. Nothing wrong with doing that, but you don't need/want to use the FX Loop in the HX FX device.

You have 3 cables involved: your guitar to amp, the amp FX Send to the HX FX Guitar Input and the HX FX Output to the amp FX Return. Your HX FX preset should not use an FX Loop block. Make sure the Send/Receive signal levels between both cables connecting the amp to the HX FX are compatible (e.g. avoid sending a Line level signal from the amp FX Loop to the HX FX Guitar Input).

If you want more flexibility with your routing, including making use of theFX Loop in the HX FX device you will need to move to 4CM.

Thanks! Just taking the FX Loop out fixed it. After further research and your comments I just took out the fx loop block and good to go go. The time based effects sound fantastic. Then I tried going 4CM but that introduced a constant hiss that I can't find a way to get rid of. Not a hum; just more of a white noise type hiss. The drives seem to be pretty noisy in front of the loop as well. From reading forum posts and other gear sites this is a problem with the HXFX. Sucks because it seems like I won't be able to use the full capability of the unit. But thank you for the help!