Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wireless causing hotter input signal????

NevenT

The weirdest thing is happening. 

I'm using the Helix LT with my Marshall head with the 4 CM so the LT is effects only.  I've got a Shure Wireless/Tuner combo unit GLXD6 to use instead of the guitar cable to go into the LT>Guitar In.  I instantly can tell that the signal is waaay hotter before I even turn up the guitar knob for volume.  It's like I added another gain pedal to the signal.  I turn up the guitar volume knob and get howling, feedback etc.  It's a mess and sounds like crap. 

I take the wireless unit out of the picture and plug a guitar cable in it's place, and it works as it should.  No issues.  I try the wireless in my analog pedal set up, and it seems fine.  

But trying it with the LT, the signal just seems over the top and noisy.

Why would a wireless unit be adding soo much unwanted input signal that it causes the LT to go nuts and how do I fix it without doing major edits to my Snapshots?

Isnt a Helix issue and has nothing to do with the wireless protocol. It's the built in gain in the GLXD6 which is probably set too hot to be received by the inst level of the Helix input. 

Try reducing the gain to unity (0dB) or less, and see if does improve. 

40-D43433-D951-4-B78-8-DDD-AE179-DB4964-

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/28/2022 at 4:01 PM, PierM said:

Isnt a Helix issue and has nothing to do with the wireless protocol. It's the built in gain in the GLXD6 which is probably set too hot to be received by the inst level of the Helix input. 

Try reducing the gain to unity (0dB) or less, and see if does improve. 

40-D43433-D951-4-B78-8-DDD-AE179-DB4964-

This is a great way to achieve the "global gain" functionality that Helix sadly lacks.  I have 2 Brian May guitars: one a close replica, the other one a production tribute.  The production one needs a 3db boost to match what the other one sounds like. 

One cool thing about this wireless system is that it remembers the boost setting per wireless pack.  So you can have 2 wireless transmitters and one of them can be set to be hotter than the other one. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

This might sound really obvious... but I don't see it mentioned yet. 

Make sure the cable you were using is actually healthy. Just because a cable works isn't a guarantee that the cable is good. 

If you create sounds using a cable that has a volume drop or tone roll off, your sounds will only be correct when you use "that cable". It's become part of the tone. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, theElevators said:

This is a great way to achieve the "global gain" functionality that Helix sadly lacks.  I have 2 Brian May guitars: one a close replica, the other one a production tribute.  The production one needs a 3db boost to match what the other one sounds like. 

One cool thing about this wireless system is that it remembers the boost setting per wireless pack.  So you can have 2 wireless transmitters and one of them can be set to be hotter than the other one. 

Eh I know, managing multiple instruments, through the same presets, can be a pain sometimes.. I do have an arsenal of guitars, mostly Les Paul Custom, with a wide gamma of pickups, from a Staple, to PAF, plus a bunch of Strats and Teles.. And that's also why I do prefer to use an Iridium as main amp/cab sim, as gives me instant access to the preamp section that I can tune on the fly for each guitar, as with an actual amp. But yeah, global gain would be cool!