Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clear All Foot Switches?

VmusicV

Hi,

I've watched a few videos on the Command Center.

It's rather frustrating - the command center doesn't seem to show if a foot switch is assigned to bypass/enable an fx block, correct?   This is true, right?  Inside the command center you don't know or can't see that a specific foot switch is already assigned to bypass/enable an fx block?         Forgive me for thinking something like "Command Center" of foot switches would show me exactly what each foot switch is assigned to do?  It does not seem to honestly do that.   If a particular foot switch TRULY does absolutely NOTHING, and is assigned to absolutely NOTHING.... then, and ONLY THEN would I expect the Command Center to show the foot switch COMMAND = NONE.    Maybe that's just too much common sense, or maybe it was too difficult to program in HX Edit. 

You can see the screen capture below.....  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE..... click on the screen capture image to enlarge it.   initially I had the Helix set up in Snapshot /Stomp mode, but I want to change that to set up EACH foot switch as I want in the command center. 

QUESTION:  Before you go about using Command Center to customize your foot switches, setting each individual switch however you want...... are you supposed to "clear" or "reset" the preset back to zero or nothing or back to a state where foot switches were not assigned to anything?

In Command Center it shows one of my foot switches (foot switch 5) is assigned to 'NONE'; but in fact the switch is still assigned to a Snapshot 4. Apparently the Command Center has some issues.... or you're supposed to somehow "clear" any/all previous foot switch settings.

Anybody Use the Command Center - have any advice on clearing or resetting it?

Is there somewhere else in HX Edit you have to go to 'unassign' a foot switch from being a preset?

Frustrated in Philly

ClearAllFootSwitches.png

Edited by VmusicV
Tell viewers to enlarge the screen capture

In preset mode the footswitches select presets, and the scribble strips reflect that.

In snapshot mode the footswitches select snapshots, and the scribble strips reflect that.

In stomp mode the footswitches select functions, and the scribble strips reflect those functions.

If a FS is assigned to bypass a block, the scribble strip shows the effect that's in that block.

That's one of two ways you know that a FS is assigned to bypass a block.

The second way is by looking in HX Edit at the "Bypass/Controller Assign" pane, which lists all of the FS assignments EXCEPT those made in CommandCenter.

When a FS is assigned a function in CommandCenter the scribble strips reflect that function.

BYPASS is NOT assigned OR reflected IN CommandCenter, it's assigned in the main UI and shown in the Bypass/Controller Assign pane.

If a FS has multiple assignments the scribble strip says "Multiple (X)" where X=the number of assignments.

If you want the scribble strip to say something specific you can enter the description either in CommandCenter (if it's a CommandCenter function) OR in Bypass/Controller Assign if it's a bypass or block parameter function. If all three are assigned to one FS, you can change the scribble strip text in either CommandCenter OR any of the Bypass/Controller Assign listings for that FS.

There is no way to clear ALL assignments from a FS or to clear ALL assignments from ALL switches.

I can see where this might be handy. You should suggest it on Ideascale:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/login

In Bypass/Controller Assign if you right-click a FS assignment and select CLEAR ALL ASSIGNMENTS it will clear all functions assigned to that FS EXCEPT those assigned in CommandCenter. Those need to be cleared IN CommandCenter.

1 hour ago, VmusicV said:

QUESTION:  Before you go about using Command Center to customize your foot switches, setting each individual switch however you want.....

Your question implies that you think you can program the footswitches in CommandCenter to do whatever you want. This is not the case.

CommandCenter can be used to assign switches in stomp mode to do more than bypass and parameter control, but NOT bypass and parameter control. Those functions are assigned in the main UI and Bypass/Controller Assign.

In CommandCenter you can additionally assign stomp mode footswitches to call presets, call or toggle snapshots and send MIDI and computer keyboard commands to external devices.

IOW - footswitches are assigned different functions in different parts of the UI - Bypass/Controller Assign and CommandCenter.

As I've gone to great lengths to explain this stuff, I hope you understand that I'm not by nature a big meanie, BUT -

It is unfortunate that the logic of the Helix programmers does not conform to your expectations of the way it should be.

You are not alone.

There's no such thing as "common sense".

What appears to be "common sense" to one person isn't necessarily "common sense" to someone else.

This disparity is especially common between users and programmers/UI designers.

I know this to be true personally, as I have been both a user and a programmer/program UI designer.

Learning to deal with this truth (or any truth) is one of the differences between humans and donuts. :-)

Also, donuts are totally incapable of RTFM! Although sometimes I think the manuals are written by donuts.

I hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

@rd2rk

Thank you for the reply.

Yeah..... you're somewhat right with your statement "I expect Command Center to let me do whatever I want". Whatever I want - here means, using Command Center to assign all of the possible functions to a foot switch. Command Center can not do that, as is proven.  I've seen at least 3 Youtube videos by guru Helix users that said or claim as much....  and obviously they're wrong. 

Seeing in one place (Command Center) that it suggests "NONE" or nothing is assigned to a foot switch - then going into HX Edit elsewhere and finding that something or some functionality is actually assigned to a foot switch, the very same foot switch that Command Center said isn't assigned is very misleading at beast and half-baked requirements/development at worst. 

I am a solution architect, and have been involved in dozens at app dev projects as well. 

I will try to get access to Idea Scale. 

Thank you again for your help. 

There are two places to assign footswitches... 

• Controllers view.... this is where you assign stomps, controller values, etc... etc...
  • Command Center... this is where you assign specialty functions such as midi control and more... 

Something assigned in one does not show in the other because they are very different functions that happen to overlap. What you can do in one area, you cannot do in the other - but it can use the same footswitch. 

On 1/31/2022 at 3:35 AM, VmusicV said:

I am a solution architect, and have been involved in dozens at app dev projects as well. 

It would be helpful if you could logically explain the problem the way a solution architect would.   (eg: no personal emotion or frustration, just facts)

Example.... 

1. step one
  2. step two
  3. step three
    • This is what step three is doing
    • This is what I expected step three to do

• Upvote 1

@codamedia

Thanks for your reply. I figured it out, with some help from a guy who posts some Helix Youtube video

SooOOoooo..... perhaps the statement below isn't clear?

I want one place in the HX Edit, where I click one button (or take a single action) and for the active preset it clears ALL or every last foot switch?   (or all of the foot switches that a user can is allowed to assign functionality to)

In other words; after I click this button (or take a single action) - every foot switch for that preset is set to nothing or controls nothing or nothing happens when I engage the foot switches?

Perhaps if there are some Helix restrictions, like the Tap Tempo foot switch can never be used for anything else - the users can't change this (Tap Tempo) foot switch, then that/those foot switches are not modified. But in one action; as opposed to going foot switch by foot switch..... I can clear or set ALL of the allowed foot switches to control nothing. 

P L E A S E:  This statement above isn't clear?      REALLY?

please help me understand how or why it's not clear

WHY?  -  Because that's what I want to do, that's why?   WHY has nothing to do with my statement being clear, concise or understandable.... 

I really believe my statement is clear as day so to speak. You may not understand "WHY" I want this functionality, but I feel I explained the functionality was explained clearly. 

It "seems" to me, since the Command Center allows you to assign some functionality to foot switches, that this would be a good place to put such a button or function, which lets you clear or set all of the allowed foot switches to nothing to control nothing or send no MIDI messages (to do nothing).  It "seems".    The words "COMMAND CENTER" seem to suggest some place (center or area) that gives you power or control and it shows ALL of the available foot switches. IN FACT..... the Command Center has or provides somewhat limited control of foot switches, so the name is, IMHO a bit misleading. You can not assign stomp or fx block bypass/enable functionality to a foot switch in the Command Center. You can't do that in the "COMMAND CENTER". .......  maybe you shouldn't be able to do that in the Command Center. 

WHY?  -  My statement on what I want to accomplish is very clear; please explain if it's not clear. Why would I want to clear all of the foot switches (or set them to control nothing and do nothing). SIMPLE - I want to assign their functionality one by one. I want to assign each foot switch to WHATEVER I want, one by one.  As an example:

In my preset:

• Foot switch 1 => Preset Up
  • Foot Switch 2 => Snapshot (takes you to or engages) a Snapshot
  • Foot Switch 3 => Snapshot (takes you to or engages) a Snapshot
  • Foot Switch 4 => Fx Block (Pressing on it Bypasses/Enables a specific Fx Block; touching it with your finger brings up its settings)
  • Foot Switch 5 => Fx Block (Pressing on it Bypasses/Enables a specific Fx Block; touching it with your finger brings up its settings)
  • Foot Switch 6 => this "may be" another foot switch that users can not change
  • Foot Switch 7 => Preset Down
  • Foot Switch 8 => Snapshot (takes you to or engages) a Snapshot
  • Foot Switch 9 => Fx Block (Pressing on it Bypasses/Enables a specific Fx Block; touching it with your finger brings up its settings)
  • Foot Switch 10 => Fx Block (Pressing on it Bypasses/Enables a specific Fx Block; touching it with your finger brings up its settings)
  • Foot Switch 11 => Fx Block (Pressing on it Bypasses/Enables a specific Fx Block; touching it with your finger brings up its settings)
  • Foot Switch 12 => Tap Tempo/Tuner - I "believe" this can not be changed by the users

SooOooooo.... I want to put whatever functionality wherever I want (as far as foot switches). I have Snapshot foot switches in the first row, and I have some in the second row. I have foot switches that enable/bypass fx blocks in the first row, and I have them in the second row. It's totally custom. 

Since there's ONLY 12 foot switches (and possibly only 10 that users can modify the functionality of) :::  it's MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier to give me a blank slate (so to speak) - that is clear all of the foot switches in a preset (or all the switches where the users can modify the functionality); and let me rebuild or add the functionality one by one, or foot switch by foot switch... rather than start with Helix's options. I would Helix's options restrictive and rather narrow minded.

Hamburger Menu (Next to the Save button above the 'Preset' label) --> Global Settings ->  Footswitches     then the 2nd item labeled 'Preset Mode' Switches. There are choices here that suggest what is in Row 1 of the foot switches and what's in Row 2 of the foot switches. Choices like: "Snap/Preset",  "Preset/Snap", "Snap/Stomp", "Stomp/Snap"....etc.   You see the problem?  I want NONE of these options.   Give the me the user, a blank slate (or at least clear out, or have no functionality assigned to all of the allowable foot switches) - and let me go one by one. There's (likely) only 10 or 11 foot switches that need assigned anyway.  There's not 100.  Don't pigeonhole me into your limited choices LIne 6, you're not really helping me here. NOW.... I have come to find out, that in previous versions of the software - you COULD NOT customize the foot switches any way you want. This was some version before the Command Center, or perhaps even earlier. You were basically STUCK with those choices in the 'Preset Mode Switches' selection 

SOoOOOOooorry....  but I do think my question "can you clear" or "can you set all of the foot switches" to be assigned to nothing or not do anything - I think that is understandable. The WHY - was not explained, and I apologize for that.    HOWEVER.... the simple and honest answer is "NO".  Helix does NOT give you functionality or a button or something to set all of the foot switches in a preset (or all of the allowable foot switches) to nothing or clear them so they control nothing.        I figured out how to clear or set them manually to nothing, and it's a bit of a pain, but possible. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply!!

Think Outside the Box!!!

LMFAO.....

OK, you'll get only one reply from me on this thread. 

Just to make sure, because the first part about HX Edit makes no sense to me.... YOU WANT A BUTTON TO BYPASS ALL YOUR BLOCKS IN A GIVEN PRESET?

You press one button and all blocks get TURNED off? 

That's very easy. 

You CREATE A SNAPSHOT where all the blocks are bypassed.  In that snapshot, you have a direct signal through without any blocks doing anything.  It's as if the preset is blank.  When you press that snapshot, all your blocks will consequently get bypassed.  In Command Center, assign a button to that snapshot. 

PS: for a solutions architect, scrum, Jira, story points, etc.... you add SO MUCH frikkin useless information without cutting to the chase. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, theElevators said:

for a solutions architect, scrum, Jira, story points, etc.... you add SO MUCH frikkin useless information without cutting to the chase. 

LMFAO,

You forgot to mention that this guy is also a “visionary”!

So visionary that he couldn’t figure out how to set milliseconds as a note division in one snapshot that he could then tap the tempo he needed in a second snapshot. Jeez, you even provided a video, but he didn’t give you the credit. That’s how much of an attention span he has.

Do you ever get the feeling you are being trolled by some lightweight who cannot understand that with a blank preset every foot switch does nothing until you give it something to do. 

Ye gods, I despair that this is what the world is coming too. Too busy “thinking outside the box” to even be bothered to RTFM where on page 55 of Helix 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Rev F - English there is the explanation of ”Clearing All Controller Assignments”, or also on page 60, ”Clearing All Commands”. Each of these requires 1 button press, but that is obviously far too complex for our genius.

Edited by datacommando
Added reference to manual
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VmusicV said:

@codamedia

Thanks for your reply. I figured it out, with some help from a guy who posts some Helix Youtube video

SooOOoooo..... perhaps the statement below isn't clear?

I want one place in the HX Edit, where I click one button (or take a single action) and for the active preset it clears ALL or every last foot switch?   (or all of the foot switches that a user can is allowed to assign functionality to)

In other words; after I click this button (or take a single action) - every foot switch for that preset is set to nothing or controls nothing or nothing happens when I engage the foot switches?

Perhaps if there are some Helix restrictions, like the Tap Tempo foot switch can never be used for anything else - the users can't change this (Tap Tempo) foot switch, then that/those foot switches are not modified. But in one action; as opposed to going foot switch by foot switch..... I can clear or set ALL of the allowed foot switches to control nothing. 

P L E A S E:  This statement above isn't clear?      REALLY?

please help me understand how or why it's not clear

WHY?  -  Because that's what I want to do, that's why?   WHY has nothing to do with my statement being clear, concise or understandable.... 

I really believe my statement is clear as day so to speak. You may not understand "WHY" I want this functionality, but I feel I explained the functionality was explained clearly. 

It "seems" to me, since the Command Center allows you to assign some functionality to foot switches, that this would be a good place to put such a button or function, which lets you clear or set all of the allowed foot switches to nothing to control nothing or send no MIDI messages (to do nothing).  It "seems".    The words "COMMAND CENTER" seem to suggest some place (center or area) that gives you power or control and it shows ALL of the available foot switches. IN FACT..... the Command Center has or provides somewhat limited control of foot switches, so the name is, IMHO a bit misleading. You can not assign stomp or fx block bypass/enable functionality to a foot switch in the Command Center. You can't do that in the "COMMAND CENTER". .......  maybe you shouldn't be able to do that in the Command Center. 

WHY?  -  My statement on what I want to accomplish is very clear; please explain if it's not clear. Why would I want to clear all of the foot switches (or set them to control nothing and do nothing). SIMPLE - I want to assign their functionality one by one. I want to assign each foot switch to WHATEVER I want, one by one.  As an example:

In my preset:

• Foot switch 1 => Preset Up
  • Foot Switch 2 => Snapshot (takes you to or engages) a Snapshot
  • Foot Switch 3 => Snapshot (takes you to or engages) a Snapshot
  • Foot Switch 4 => Fx Block (Pressing on it Bypasses/Enables a specific Fx Block; touching it with your finger brings up its settings)
  • Foot Switch 5 => Fx Block (Pressing on it Bypasses/Enables a specific Fx Block; touching it with your finger brings up its settings)
  • Foot Switch 6 => this "may be" another foot switch that users can not change
  • Foot Switch 7 => Preset Down
  • Foot Switch 8 => Snapshot (takes you to or engages) a Snapshot
  • Foot Switch 9 => Fx Block (Pressing on it Bypasses/Enables a specific Fx Block; touching it with your finger brings up its settings)
  • Foot Switch 10 => Fx Block (Pressing on it Bypasses/Enables a specific Fx Block; touching it with your finger brings up its settings)
  • Foot Switch 11 => Fx Block (Pressing on it Bypasses/Enables a specific Fx Block; touching it with your finger brings up its settings)
  • Foot Switch 12 => Tap Tempo/Tuner - I "believe" this can not be changed by the users

SooOooooo.... I want to put whatever functionality wherever I want (as far as foot switches). I have Snapshot foot switches in the first row, and I have some in the second row. I have foot switches that enable/bypass fx blocks in the first row, and I have them in the second row. It's totally custom. 

Since there's ONLY 12 foot switches (and possibly only 10 that users can modify the functionality of) :::  it's MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier to give me a blank slate (so to speak) - that is clear all of the foot switches in a preset (or all the switches where the users can modify the functionality); and let me rebuild or add the functionality one by one, or foot switch by foot switch... rather than start with Helix's options. I would Helix's options restrictive and rather narrow minded.

Hamburger Menu (Next to the Save button above the 'Preset' label) --> Global Settings ->  Footswitches     then the 2nd item labeled 'Preset Mode' Switches. There are choices here that suggest what is in Row 1 of the foot switches and what's in Row 2 of the foot switches. Choices like: "Snap/Preset",  "Preset/Snap", "Snap/Stomp", "Stomp/Snap"....etc.   You see the problem?  I want NONE of these options.   Give the me the user, a blank slate (or at least clear out, or have no functionality assigned to all of the allowable foot switches) - and let me go one by one. There's (likely) only 10 or 11 foot switches that need assigned anyway.  There's not 100.  Don't pigeonhole me into your limited choices LIne 6, you're not really helping me here. NOW.... I have come to find out, that in previous versions of the software - you COULD NOT customize the foot switches any way you want. This was some version before the Command Center, or perhaps even earlier. You were basically STUCK with those choices in the 'Preset Mode Switches' selection 

SOoOOOOooorry....  but I do think my question "can you clear" or "can you set all of the foot switches" to be assigned to nothing or not do anything - I think that is understandable. The WHY - was not explained, and I apologize for that.    HOWEVER.... the simple and honest answer is "NO".  Helix does NOT give you functionality or a button or something to set all of the foot switches in a preset (or all of the allowable foot switches) to nothing or clear them so they control nothing.        I figured out how to clear or set them manually to nothing, and it's a bit of a pain, but possible. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply!!

Think Outside the Box!!!

Thank you for the wonderful lesson on how a "solution architect" writes a report. 

• Upvote 1

It's sad how so many ppl - totally can not read and understand simple English

On 2/2/2022 at 5:17 PM, theElevators said:

. YOU WANT A BUTTON TO BYPASS ALL YOUR BLOCKS IN A GIVEN PRESET?

I NEVER SAID this.  I  NEVER  SUGGESTED  THIS. 

What I asked for had ZERO to do with bypassing all of the fx blocks on a preset.

This forum is basically worthless. 

I could tell you the sky was blue and the sun yellow; and you would read it like "the clouds are white, and the sun might come out". 

1 hour ago, VmusicV said:

It's sad how so many ppl - totally can not read and understand simple English

I NEVER SAID this.  I  NEVER  SUGGESTED  THIS. 

What I asked for had ZERO to do with bypassing all of the fx blocks on a preset.

I could tell you the sky was blue and the sun yellow; and you would read it like "the clouds are white, and the sun might come out". 

I thought I answered your question:

On 1/30/2022 at 10:55 PM, rd2rk said:

In preset mode the footswitches select presets, and the scribble strips reflect that.

In snapshot mode the footswitches select snapshots, and the scribble strips reflect that.

In stomp mode the footswitches select functions, and the scribble strips reflect those functions.

If a FS is assigned to bypass a block, the scribble strip shows the effect that's in that block.

That's one of two ways you know that a FS is assigned to bypass a block.

The second way is by looking in HX Edit at the "Bypass/Controller Assign" pane, which lists all of the FS assignments EXCEPT those made in CommandCenter.

When a FS is assigned a function in CommandCenter the scribble strips reflect that function.

BYPASS is NOT assigned OR reflected IN CommandCenter, it's assigned in the main UI and shown in the Bypass/Controller Assign pane.

If a FS has multiple assignments the scribble strip says "Multiple (X)" where X=the number of assignments.

If you want the scribble strip to say something specific you can enter the description either in CommandCenter (if it's a CommandCenter function) OR in Bypass/Controller Assign if it's a bypass or block parameter function. If all three are assigned to one FS, you can change the scribble strip text in either CommandCenter OR any of the Bypass/Controller Assign listings for that FS.

There is no way to clear ALL assignments from a FS or to clear ALL assignments from ALL switches.

I can see where this might be handy. You should suggest it on Ideascale:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/login

In Bypass/Controller Assign if you right-click a FS assignment and select CLEAR ALL ASSIGNMENTS it will clear all functions assigned to that FS EXCEPT those assigned in CommandCenter. Those need to be cleared IN CommandCenter.

Your question implies that you think you can program the footswitches in CommandCenter to do whatever you want. This is not the case.

CommandCenter can be used to assign switches in stomp mode to do more than bypass and parameter control, but NOT bypass and parameter control. Those functions are assigned in the main UI and Bypass/Controller Assign.

In CommandCenter you can additionally assign stomp mode footswitches to call presets, call or toggle snapshots and send MIDI and computer keyboard commands to external devices.

IOW - footswitches are assigned different functions in different parts of the UI - Bypass/Controller Assign and CommandCenter.

As I've gone to great lengths to explain this stuff, I hope you understand that I'm not by nature a big meanie, BUT -

It is unfortunate that the logic of the Helix programmers does not conform to your expectations of the way it should be.

You are not alone.

There's no such thing as "common sense".

What appears to be "common sense" to one person isn't necessarily "common sense" to someone else.

This disparity is especially common between users and programmers/UI designers.

I know this to be true personally, as I have been both a user and a programmer/program UI designer.

Learning to deal with this truth (or any truth) is one of the differences between humans and donuts. :-)

Also, donuts are totally incapable of RTFM! Although sometimes I think the manuals are written by donuts.

I hope this helps.

Your initial post was kind of a rant, TMI, caused confusion. I didn't help by trying to be diplomatic and funny at the same time. It's not really my forte.

But I really do like donuts! :-)

1377444841_HomerDonutMeme.jpg.fd0e78cbf92e8e01b2106edd4591743c.jpg

6 hours ago, VmusicV said:

Yeah, well I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion, but not their own facts!

You initially asked - 

“Anybody Use the Command Center - have any advice on clearing or resetting it?

Is there somewhere else in HX Edit you have to go to 'unassign' a foot switch from being a preset?”

The short answer to both of those questions are - yes, and yes.

Do yourself a favour and read the HX Edit Pilot’s Guide Rev S (v3.11). This so simple that you don’t even have to go looking for it, because it is built in to the GUI. Simply click on the “Help” icon (question mark in a circle) in the lower left hand corner of the HX Edit window.

Now once you have accessed the relevant document, scroll through to page 39. Here you will find instructions on how to
Clear All Assignments - Deletes all Bypass, Controller, Snapshot, and MIDI assignments that exist within the current preset.”

Next, continue through to page 46, and you will discover 

“Cut, Copy, Paste, and Clear Commands
Just as on your Helix or HX Effects device, there are options available to easily Cut, Copy, Paste, and Clear Command Center assignments. Using these commands from the application’s Edit menu*, from the individual controls’ right-click context menu, or using “Keyboard Shortcuts”, you can copy and paste an assignment from one controller to another, copy & paste all command assignments within the current preset to another preset, clear the current command assignment, or clear all of the preset’s current command assignments.”

Now, instead of being ignorant and arrogant, please go back to being depressed and gazing at your shoes.

Have a nice life, slick!