Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Go Wireless Signal Drops / Audio Cuts Out

pau1murphy

I'm on my 3rd Pod Go Wireless in as many weeks (no, really - 3 in 3 weeks). The first one had issues with the wireless connection - I could be directly in front of the main unit and it would lose connection (I could see the signal go from 3 bars to disappearing completely as I sat there not moving) and would cause severely choppy audio. The 2nd (replacement) was clearly a customer return - it had already been opened and failed to even boot up (thanks Guitar Center). The 3rd (re-re-replacement) has the exact same issues as the first.

Can anyone help? I've updated the firmware to 1.30. I literally have to be sitting next to it and facing slightly to the side and even then it is pretty unreliable. I have the Yamaha THR amp which uses the same G10TII wireless relays and have no issues whatsoever with it - even if I leave the room and go down the stairs!

At this point I regret paying the extra for wireless support when it seems pretty broken in this device. Can anyone help? I already raised a support ticket with Line 6 (for the first one) and they just told me to return it ... which I did, and that hasn't helped.

Are there any potential sources of interference nearby? Wifi routers are probably the biggest potential issue. Do you have the wireless channel set to Auto in the Global Settings menu and are you inserting the transmitter into the Guitar In jack to let it find the best channel?

I’ve had no issues with the wireless in my PGW, so it’s odd that you’ve had multiple units with the same sort of issues. It makes me think has to be something in the environment causing interference. I believe the PGW’s antenna is more sensitive than the one in the THR, so it’s more susceptible to interference.

Thanks for the reply Phil ...

There's an Orbi reasonably close (WiFi Mesh) but most of my internet is wired. I haven't changed any of the settings (other than updated the Firmware), so I'm assuming the wireless channel is set to auto. I leave the transmitter in the Pod Go and wait for the green light before plugging it into my guitar. I guess I can try moving it to another room, but this isn't a great solution.

This feels like a device that wasn't ready for primetime if it can't handle situations like this (I'd hate to have turned up to perform at a show and experienced this issue).

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes it works great, at other times I can be 2' away from PGW and it cuts out! Well I'm in a small APT, w/router 10' away can't really place PGW in another room. I purchased a Dean Exile select 7,guitar with Pod go wireless, the 1/4" jack is placed at a angle w/ metal sleeve around 1/4" guitar insert that's causing the wireless problems. With a regular insert jack like on my ESP I don't have those issues.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 9:15 AM, Davevans said:

I have the same problem,. I turned off Bluetooth with no difference, but when i turned my iPad off I have a continuous signal… Can you get the unit to search for a different frequency?

If you have the wireless channel set to Auto under Global Settings (which it is by default), plugging the transmitter into the Guitar In jack will cause the POD to search for the best available wireless channel, and it will set to the transmitter to that channel. You just have to leave the transmitter plugged in for about 15 seconds for this process to complete.

It doesn’t guarantee that that wifi sources won’t cause problems, though. But it can help. It’s best to keep wifi sources at least 10 feet away from the receiver.

• 5 weeks later...

I am having wireless issues also with the PGW, 3 different units. I have used Relay G10's all over the house even around wireless without issues but the PGW easily cuts out and is therefore useless in a live band setting. Had to plug an old Relay G10 in the PGW for it to work without issues. Had I know that the transmitter in the PWG was so bad I would have bought the PG and used the G10's. Now I have to do this after paying the extra money for the the wireless. Really disappointed. Line 6 (Yamaha) say they cannot reproduce the problem but I am sceptical. Buyer BEWARE. Either the Transmiter is different between the 2 bases or the placement in the PGW is causing the problem.

For what it's worth I have been seeing quite a few reports across various boards, youtube, and facebook pages, of difficulties with PGW dropping signal and range (even with no apparent obstacles).  In theory, you would have thought that PGW would be very similar, and perhaps even slightly better, than a free-standing G10 Relay. I'm unclear whether these issues are due to a possible fault, firmware upgrade glitch, interference from other electrical equipment eg routers, or a channel or other settings issue. 

Whatever the reason is (and which might be different for different users) its odd that the G10 Relay which now has the same MkII transmitter as PGW, don't appear to give rise to very many similar issues.  Indeed, I have a G10 relay with two Mk1 Transmitters and have never had a dropout problem - in fact the effective range (unobstructed and currently indicated to be 50ft) was pretty impressive and at 80-90ft before I got drops was way more than I needed.  

I have the same issue. The wireless element of this unit is not fit for purpose in my opinion. It is useless in my home I’m afraid. Constant dropouts. I have a mesh system around the house so I can’t really keep away from wifi. A £30 wireless set from Amazon solves the problem for me but it’s disappointing. Works fine at church but I wouldn’t risk it in an unknown venue. Great unit apart from this bug.

• 1 month later...

I have exactly the same issue. I've tried allowing the unit to auto-select the channel and also cycling through the channels manually. No dice. I also have a mesh wifi system at home. I took the unit away on holiday and it worked fine.

Very annoying. I've had to resort to a cable, which is frustrating as I paid up for a wireless unit rather than snapping up one of the wired units I could have bought for half the price used.

• 1 month later...

I’m having the same drop out problem with my pod go wireless. I’m on my second unit now with no change. Has anybody come up with a solution to this prioblem? Is this something that can be fixed with a future update or should I just send this one back also? Really wished I would have just bought the  wired unit. I have to say I can plug a cheap aamoon wireless into the pod go and it works like a charm . So why doesn’t the g10 that’s built into the pod go work line6? Isn’t it supposed to be a better unit . I mean the g10 costed 5 times as much as the aamoon?

Edited by Felony4
I had more to say.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got my new PGW yesterday and faced same drop out issue. Then I reached this threads. Turing off 2.4Ghz of Wifi router really works. It solves the issue but now my son is starting to complain because his game machine, Switch can receive only 2.4khz signal. I hope Line 6 would improve this issue.

On 8/20/2022 at 7:28 AM, jazzfusi said:

I got my new PGW yesterday and faced same drop out issue. Then I reached this threads. Turing off 2.4Ghz of Wifi router really works. It solves the issue but now my son is starting to complain because his game machine, Switch can receive only 2.4khz signal. I hope Line 6 would improve this issue.

How close is your wifi router to the POD Go? It really shouldn’t be that much of an issue unless you have them in close proximity to each other.

• 10 months later...