Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Another Case thread?

Momon94

Hi all,

Just got my Helix and after a search of the threads I couldn't find any info on this case the Gator GT 2412.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GT-2412-GRY--gator-transit-series-add-on-accessory-bag-24-inch-by-12-inch-by-4.5-inch

I've seen a few people have got the 2411 and seem quite happy with it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GMULTIFX2411--gator-g-multifx-2411-24-inch-by-11-inch-effects-pedal-bag

Has anyone tried the GT2412. It's more expensive but looks that bit sturdier while still being a bit cheaper than the Helix bag. Plus it looks smaller form factor which is important to me. Would be interested if anyone has tried it. 

The other option for me is this

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Dicon-EC5331BK-Effector-Interior-Dimensions/dp/B00TQIBXMG/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=geJbU&pf_rd_p=d753a891-bba8-4352-b10c-3c8d00c6b548&pf_rd_r=V48CYJM98KKZGJAX9XPZ&pd_rd_r=c9778a88-6b2f-4907-9a9c-326755fa4382&pd_rd_wg=brrGN&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

I live in Japan so could only find an Amazon Japan link. I'm always worried about dropping the hard case and the lack of padding transfering the impact to the device. Is that rubbish? I know the soft case won't protect it from bangs and bumps as much but would it be better in case it slips out of hand and drops a meter onto a hard floor? Also that hard case is 65mm + 20mm = 85mm. The LT is 92mm. I'm guessing that 7mm wouldn't be a problem but wandering if anyone else had experience of that snug of a fit height wise! 

Cheers for any help! 

:-) 

I have the Helix backpack -- it's great except it won't last you long.  It starts fraying and with heavy usage will rip after about a year.  I only use it when I fly with the Helix as it packs everything I would ever need.

As for the hard case, there's this: https://www.thomannmusic.com/thon_effect_case_for_line_6_helix.htm

It's very sturdy and even with shipping it's cheaper than Gator ones.  What I like is that the Helix can stay in the case itself live on stage.  It's important to me when I'm playing somewhere where there's a chance of a spilled beer on stage, or something. 

This case has enough room to put your power cable and a couple lead cables.  I wish there was slightly more room to put my wireless system in, for example.  What I came up with is using either a small backpack or a fanny pack and putting it around the case itself with the buckle through the handle.  Something like this for example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/402838121360?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=673079503054&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I own the 2412 and the 2411, but I don't keep my Helix in either, I use it for other gear. I use the Helix backpack because it came with my Helix in a bundle for free.

They're both pretty solid bags. Neither of them are as robust as the official backpack, in terms of thickness of material or whatever. The 2412 is actually oversized inside the main cavity for the Helix though, it'll jiggle around in there a little bit. More than the 2411 would. And yes the 2412 is more substantial than the 2411 by a fair margin.

It's definitely lighter and more compact than the Helix backpack. That thing is a beast. Unless you are really concerned about the size thing, I'd suggest the backpack for a Helix specific case over the Gator, considering how actually close they are in price.

I haven't had issues with the backpack falling apart, but I largely haven't put it through its paces like some others probably have. I would probably defer to what theElevators said above. The hard case option he linked seems like a solid suggestion. If you want light and cheap, go light and cheap. If you need touring protection, get a really solid hard case.

16 hours ago, tjbassoon said:

I own the 2412 and the 2411, but I don't keep my Helix in either, I use it for other gear. I use the Helix backpack because it came with my Helix in a bundle for free.

They're both pretty solid bags. Neither of them are as robust as the official backpack, in terms of thickness of material or whatever. The 2412 is actually oversized inside the main cavity for the Helix though, it'll jiggle around in there a little bit. More than the 2411 would. And yes the 2412 is more substantial than the 2411 by a fair margin.

It's definitely lighter and more compact than the Helix backpack. That thing is a beast. Unless you are really concerned about the size thing, I'd suggest the backpack for a Helix specific case over the Gator, considering how actually close they are in price.

I haven't had issues with the backpack falling apart, but I largely haven't put it through its paces like some others probably have. I would probably defer to what theElevators said above. The hard case option he linked seems like a solid suggestion. If you want light and cheap, go light and cheap. If you need touring protection, get a really solid hard case.

I'm surprised at the jiggle capabilities of the Helix in the 2412. From looking at the dimensions I thought it would only be width that had any room and that could be solved with some padding / some compartmentalizing strip kind of thing. Height and Length seemed to be a very tight match. Maybe it's the softer padding inside that gives it it's jiggle room?

I might check the Amazon return options and see if I can buy the 2412 and the Helix backpack and return the one I don't feel suits. I know I want something that can be put over the shoulder while having a guitar strapped to the back rather than something that has to be carried by hand. I'm downgrading from what became a ridiculous sized pedalboard so I really want to keep the weight down as much as possible while still keeping a good level of protection. 

Thanks for the help!

18 hours ago, theElevators said:

I have the Helix backpack -- it's great except it won't last you long.  It starts fraying and with heavy usage will rip after about a year.  I only use it when I fly with the Helix as it packs everything I would ever need.

As for the hard case, there's this: https://www.thomannmusic.com/thon_effect_case_for_line_6_helix.htm

It's very sturdy and even with shipping it's cheaper than Gator ones.  What I like is that the Helix can stay in the case itself live on stage.  It's important to me when I'm playing somewhere where there's a chance of a spilled beer on stage, or something. 

This case has enough room to put your power cable and a couple lead cables.  I wish there was slightly more room to put my wireless system in, for example.  What I came up with is using either a small backpack or a fanny pack and putting it around the case itself with the buckle through the handle.  Something like this for example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/402838121360?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=673079503054&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Thanks for the replies. After some thought I think I'm going to go with a softcase so will decide between the 2412 and the Helix backpack. If it seems not enough then I'll upgrade to something sturdier like the thomann. Thanks for the answers!