Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

two new user questions

robhsm

Hi.

1. Is there a process to request a 'new' effect? I'd love to have a digitech freqout available. Is it available elsewhere?

2. re straight into the front of an amp - would a 'blank canvas ' amp like an aer  (compact 60 ( it does have an effects loop as well))  give good results using the amp and cab simulators? 

Thanks,

Rob.

1. Yes. You make official feature requests using a service called Ideascale.

2. I think the term for ‘blank canvas’ is FRFR (Full Range Flat Response). And yes, an FRFR speaker/monitor is best when using cab simulations. Do you already have an amp that you would use or are you looking for something? If the latter I suggest you consider FRFR speakers (studio or PA) rather than a traditional guitar amp.

I was thinking of the AER compact 60  which has been described as clean beyond belief  - maybe i used the wrong phrase in saying 'blank canvas' - sorry i repeated that -  i felt for the money i'd try to get as much versatility as i could. 

Thanks.

If you just want clean/transparent amps, you can just select preamp instead of amp, that will sound 'clearer' than going through the amps, so as you're not emulating the power section of the amp, gives a cleaner (more transparent) tone.

2. re straight into the front of an amp - would a 'blank canvas ' amp like an aer  (compact 60 ( it does have an effects loop as well))  give good results using the amp and cab simulators? 

But if you're asking for amp 'amp' like plugging in a Marshall amp or AER amp or watnot, then you'd be better off using the 4 cable method and not using an amp in Go, since if you're emulating an amp and then running that through an amp, well, you've got double amps, which likely isn't what you want.

And if you're asking if you should plug in front of an amp, well ... IMHO, no.  The amp emulation of the Go is one of its main features, so unless you really love your amp and just want to use the Go for the effects (which is fine), then you should be looking at Studio Monitors or FRFR speaker(s) as silverhead mentioned.  That will give you much more flexibility as you'll be able to use the ridiculous amounts of amps in the Go instead of your 1 expensive guitar amp!

If I recall correctly, the AER 60 is an acoustic guitar amp. These are not the same as FRFR. The frequency response and speakers  are specifically designed to suit acoustic guitar characteristics not an electric guitar. 

For Pod Go you should consider an FRFR powered speaker. I use a Headrush FRFR108 but there are other solutions out there all at various price points. I went for the 108 because it's compact and light, and can be played very quietly or very loud...Its 2000w. 

If you use Pod Go with a guitar amp, I recommend you go through the fx loop return which will use the power amp section. The problem with going through the front of an amp is that even set clean, the preamp section will colour your tone.  However only you can decide which you prefer.  If an amp has no fx loop then you have no option. 

If you are going through a guitar amp speaker you may want to turn off the cab models in Pod Go, but again its a case of seeing what you prefer. 

For home use, you might also want some good studio monitering quality headphones ...I use Audio Technica ATH m50x but there are other good options e.g. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohms. Monitoring headphones are different to HiFi headphones for music, and are kind of like a FRFR equivalent.

Thanks Guys.

I'm sure I'll get to grips with the unit through sheer persistence  . :o) .  With the amp - I'm trying to decide what to buy  and am looking at versatility of the whole set up  as well as WEIGHT!! I have a couple of monsters in the garage which may never be lifted again. 

At the moment I use a Cube 30X and play mainly in a jazz group with a bit of rock thrown in. On a couple of occasions it was not loud enough, and, it doesn't have an effects loop.

So to cut to the chase  - a bit more power effects loop and portability.This lead me to the AER60 as well as a few Fenders that are a bigger and heavier  and the Roland blues cube also bigger ad heavier. (katana comes up everywhere)  so I am starting with  the cube with amp blocks  off, instrument level to front of amp to get myself used to setting things up and immediately changing them!

the AER is reputed to be ultra clean and so I wondered if  an instrument level straight in might work ...but as has been pointed out - i would use the 4cable  setup and be able to use everything I hope, as well as the amp by itself for going to practices, casual jams etc.

Thanks again for your replies . 

I tried the ideascale and got 'crashed' out - I'll try again.