Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX -> Fuzz (impedance)

marcoluten

Hi there. 

i have a HX FX and i’m a fuzz lover. But i play wireless so welcome to the impedance thingy. 

is there a way to change the input impedance on the HX ? I found some info about the full helix(global setting -> ins/outs) but on the HX i can’t find impedance settings. 

i have some fuzz face pedals that i would like to use but it sounds terrible now. The fuzz models on the HX i haven’t really tried yet but first impressions was not really good. 

so is there a way on the HX my wireless (Line 6 G50) interacts better with a analog fuzz or a fuzz on the HX ?

thanks

Fuzz pedals always sound best at the front of the signal chain with a cable. At least, that's what I think sounds best. Taste is personal and all that.

That said, unless the fuzz is weird and has a buffer at the front, it'll sound very different through a wireless interface or after the Helix (or in one of the Helix FX loops if applicable to your setup). There's no getting around the fact that they'll sound different. Not "bad" although I don't think they sound as good.

You're probably better off finding some of the fuzz sounds in the Helix itself and really doing a lot of tweaking to get it to sound right. Wireless into the Helix won't make a difference I don't think.

As for Helix input impedance? I know on the Floor you can adjust this, although I always set it to auto. Not sure about the FX. I would RTFM and check out what it says about input blocks and global settings to start.

Impedance affects tone at the pickups. As long as you're wireless, your pickups will be "loaded" at 1M (standard amp input impedance), regardless of the impedance setting at Helix.

If you're connected by an old-fashioned cable directly to the Helix guitar input (physical pedals between guitar and input load the pickups at the impedance of the pedals), the impedance that your pickups "see" can be set in Global Settings>Preferences>Auto In-Z=Enabled (first block determines impedance) or FIRST (first ACTIVE block determines impedance).

Then in the Input Block of each preset you can set In-Z to AUTO (references the Global Setting) or a specific value.

The FX Blocks are modeled with the Input Impedance of the actual pedal modeled. Not all versions of a specific effect have the same impedance. This is especially true with the tube screamer. Search the internet for the input impedance and you'll get a variety of answers.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, phil_m said:

I'm surprised that no one has made a guitar wireless system with a variable input impedance yet.

Indeed! 

That's a neat little device. Not all that practical, but the thing has been around forever. I'm thinking that it doesn't sell a lot, so doesn't really inspire wireless makers to get with the program.

thanks for thre replies.

i do know about the impedance issues and how they work. I use my fuzzes first in line(after wah) but because i play wireless the fuzz tone is affected and the cleanup is almost gone.

i tried a 10k trimpot at the input of the fuzz circuit and it does help a little. I'm also going to try the 'amz pickup simulator' at the input of the fuzz circuit but i still have to wait until the parts arrive. Maybe this does a little magic trick. 0.o

I just don't want to give up my G50 wireless system because it sounds great(equal as with cable) and it's a really well build device you can trust on.

The low input impedance of fuzzes causes the hi end of your pickups to be rolled off. Seeing as there is no way of doing this when you're using radio you could try putting an EQ block before the fuzz to simulate the effects.

I'd probably try a Tilt eq first.

• Upvote 1