Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix/HX 3.15 Update

Digital_Igloo

On 2/8/2022 at 7:40 PM, craiganderton said:

The "tone stack" on the Ventoux amp is really something, a distinct departure from traditional amps. Props to Line 6 for innovative thinking, and not doing just another model of an existing amp.

I'd love to see more of this "re-imagining" in future updates. Sure, the classic amps were great...but maybe Ventoux is the start of the next generation of classic amps that are possible only through modeling.

Impressive as "word-I-can't-use-in-a-public-forum" :)

The Ventoux falls squarely into the "Probably not something I'd ever use live but enjoy messing around with at home immensely" category for me. You know what they say, though, never say never!

In any case, I hope Ben Adrian keeps doing stuff like this. Lots of fun!

Command center: any idea if the midi commands per preset can be saved and restored after an update? 

I have instant midi commands per preset choosing songs and setting volumes on my beatbuddy and Aeros loop. 

After updating to 3.15 and resetting and restoring backup, the lightning symbols in the command are still hightlighted as if restored, however the instant commands values are gone. 

On 2/19/2022 at 4:06 AM, HenrikLobner said:

Command center: any idea if the midi commands per preset can be saved and restored after an update? 

I have instant midi commands per preset choosing songs and setting volumes on my beatbuddy and Aeros loop. 

After updating to 3.15 and resetting and restoring backup, the lightning symbols in the command are still hightlighted as if restored, however the instant commands values are gone. 

I have numerous and varied midi commands programed into my

helix LT to control things in my GR-55. All functions and midi was working correctly after doing the 3.15 update and restore... BUT..... the new update re allocated the CC#'s 77 thru 81 to some other purpose and are now unavailable for programing. I had several commands in my two units set to CC#81. I just switched those to CC#82 on both units and they are now working as before. However, what you seem to be indicating is giving you problems is the channel/patch changing??? Maybe trying to do the RESTORE again. Did it go thru the REBUILD cycle after the update and restore.

On 2/19/2022 at 9:06 AM, HenrikLobner said:

From the 3.15 Release Notes:

IMPORTANT! We ran out of reserved Global CCs and unfortunately had to steal five user-assignable CCs for this feature. Any parameters you've assigned to CC77-CC81 will have to be remapped. Sorry 'bout that.

Therefore, as noted by “mrchevy327” in the post above, if you were using any of those you will need to remap the CCs. You could also try his other suggestion of restoring once more.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 3:29 PM, HonestOpinion said:

Restoring the backup will also reset your global settings to your preferences from before the update, 

I was reading through this thread from the beginning before posting my woes, but...no.

I followed the update instructions to the letter. Global Settings have NOT been restored from the backup (although my user patches seem so far to be good). 

As but one example, Base MIDI channel has been changed. But that's the least of my woes. I rely heavily on MIDI automation for my gig. I've just had a live show utterly destroyed by this flaw.

How can I get my Global Settings back?

Upgraded my HX Stomp (no issues), and am really digging the Ventoux with stock 212 Mail C12Q. Haven't tried it with IR's yet, but that will be tomorrow night.
My favorite amp prior to this release was the Princeton and used it on a several recordings..... however, I'm really digging this Ventoux amp. 

It takes pedals nicely, and spit coil "cool rails" on my Strat sounds really sweet. 

Love the new Heliosphere Delay, and like how they fed the delay trails into the verb. Nice old fashion studio trick I learned from my mix teacher, Sean Slade (Radio Head), taught me a long time ago. I had a vocal track that had some delay on it, and he said bus the delay send (and only the send) into a reverb. Bingo! I've been using that trick ever since in mixes. It never gets old. But now, HX gives it to you in one effect. Very cool!

Thanks for the update Line6, your teams are truly amazing!!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jbreher said:

I was reading through this thread from the beginning before posting my woes, but...no.

I followed the update instructions to the letter. Global Settings have NOT been restored from the backup (although my user patches seem so far to be good). 

As but one example, Base MIDI channel has been changed. But that's the least of my woes. I rely heavily on MIDI automation for my gig. I've just had a live show utterly destroyed by this flaw.

I did another restore, and everything seems to be back to normal. I think the only difference in my process, is I used the button in the Settings>IR/PRESETS screen to do the failed restore, and the later working restore was done through the File>Restore menu option.

8 hours ago, jbreher said:

Sounds like you restored too recent a backup. Perhaps one from after your update. To restore your old global settings, you needed to restore one that was made either during the automated update process, or a prior backup. Looks like you got it worked out though so onwards and upwards.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pvickers said:

So far, the English version of revision G of the updated Helix Floor manual has not appeared on the support site.

Curious if this is just not ready yet or perhaps it has been overlooked?

Thanks!

The English version for v3 firmware is version F. It appears a little further down the list of available manuals on the Support -> Manuals -> Helix page.

I wanted to thank Line6 AGAIN for the new "HX Snapshot command per snapshot" addition in 3.15. It has improved my performance A LOT :D

I usually have 8 snapshots per preset, and many times I was struggling to press one of the four top footswitches while singing and playing. Now, being able to only use the four bottom footswitches (init state, next snapshot, and the other two for optional alternate paths), I can focus on playing and singing, and the last few rehearsals have turned out awesome thanks to that.

It might sound like not a big deal, but it's a big relief for me XD I was crazy in love with the new shimmer, but this new snapshot navigation mode is probably the most appreciated addition in Helix since I got mine 2 years ago.

Here's hoping for a polytune and some poly synth effects in a future update, as I don't think I "need" anything else from my Helix right now ^_^

Guys, i need some help! Ran Line 6 Updater and selected my Helix LT, then it said "Installing firmware update" and my Helix LT is saying "Update message server Started" on a black screen. But nothing more happens - it's been stuck for 20 minutes now. I'm afraid to interrupt the software, and more so to restart the stuck Helix LT.

What should i do?

On 3/9/2022 at 1:30 PM, s_popov said:

…. Ran Line 6 Updater and …..

What should i do?

Well, first thing to do next time is follow the installation instructions. If you ran Line 6 Updater you didn’t do that.

Turn your device off and try to reinstall following the instructions. You start by downloading and installing HX Edit. Your device may now be in a state where that won’t work properly but if so come back with further information about exactly what happened.

• Upvote 1

Thanks! There were no installation instructions in Line 6 Updater. I saw on YouTube there was a v3.15 update, and started the Line 6 Updater, to update the firmware and HX Edit. Isn't that what this software is supposed to do? If not, why did Line6 install it on my computer?

Should i uninstall the Line 6 Updater then? I really want to know. Need to avoid doing the same mistake again.

And don't worry about the firmware update, i followed the new protocol and everything is fine. "Update message server Started" means that the update is still in reading mode and needs to gather information first before writing.

Line 6 Updater is still required. It runs in the background when called on by HX Edit. The HX Edit package that you download includes several components that are installed (drivers, Line 6 Updater, and the HX Edit program itself). This ensures that the latest compatible versions of each are installed and used for the firmware update. You don’t need to be aware of the Updater program anymore but it’s still used.

Was your updated firmware installed successfully? You should have both firmware and HX Edit at v3.15 now.

• 2 weeks later...

Error Message "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!" after I updated HX Edit and than Helix Floor Firmware to 3.15 - something went wrong - now in this failure mode, Helix has no connection to HX Edit.

Has anyone experieced this or knows how to fix it?

Thanks in advance...

Jens 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 8:41 PM, jaysee said:

Error Message "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!" after I updated HX Edit and than Helix Floor Firmware to 3.15 - something went wrong - now in this failure mode, Helix has no connection to HX Edit.

Thanks in advance...

Jens 

Exactly the same here. I just purchased the Helix. I think it was v. 2.80 or so.
As @silverhead said I've tried with Line 6 Update 1.24 and left it always with the focus os the OS (just in case, as it's Windows) and it worked.
Thank you!

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2022 at 7:41 PM, jaysee said:

Thanks in advance...

Jens 

Same here, just tried to update to 3.15.0 and now I'm in the same boat. any advice appreciated!!!

On 4/29/2022 at 7:54 PM, dickmoncur84 said:

Same here, just tried to update to 3.15.0 and now I'm in the same boat. any advice appreciated!!!

Copy a paste reply from an earlier response - saves me typing every thing again.

On 5/1/2022 at 3:52 PM, rthirdeye said:

just happened to me me too.

I managed to figure it out tonight with a clear head.

i uninstalled any line 6 software from my laptop, then restarted and made sure there was no line 6 software on it before I tried to attempt anything.

• Installed updater 1.25,
  • installed HX Edit 3.15, but on the install I unticked the option for installer 1.23, then
  • installed firmware 3.15 and took note of where I saved it.
  • restarted the laptop
  • plugged the usb cable into the (turned off) helix LT and laptop.
  • turned the LT on whilst pressing buttons 6 & 12 to force it into update mode.
  • opened the updater program only, clicked the offline method instead of signing in.
  • at this point, it found my helix LT (Didn’t have this the other day), selected it, then navigated to the file location of the firmware when it asked for it.
  • then I waited for about 10 minutes and didn’t leave the laptop until it was fully updated.

hope this helps

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 4:11 AM, h8hoos said:

I did the update 3.15 update to my HX Effects.......and now all presets are called "New Preset", with no factory names for any of them.  Help please.  I'm lost.

Did you backup everything before updating and then restored after updating?

On 5/24/2022 at 3:11 AM, h8hoos said:

I did the update 3.15 update to my HX Effects.......and now all presets are called "New Preset", with no factory names for any of them.  Help please.  I'm lost.

Hi,

Prior to doing any firmware update on your hardware it is seriously recommended that you read the relevant Release Notes.

For example, the v3.15 notes state:

Anything else I should know?

Yes. We STRONGLY recommend performing a factory reset AFTER UPDATING your Helix/HX firmware to 3.15 and THEN RESTORING YOUR BACKUP. (Backing up is part of the update process). Here's how to perform a factory reset. IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP FIRST, AS A FACTORY RESET WILL ERASE ALL YOUR WORK!

• Helix Floor/LT: While holding footswitches 9 & 10 (bottom row, 2 middle switches), turn on Helix Floor/LT
  • Helix Rack: While holding knobs 5 & 6 (2 furthest right knobs below the screen), turn on Helix Rack
  • HX Effects: While holding footswitches 6 & TAP (2 farthest right switches on the bottom row), turn on HX Effects
  • HX Stomp: While holding footswitches 2 & 3, turn on HX Stomp
  • HX Stomp XL: While holding footswitches C & D, turn on HX Stomp

Success, and thank you all.  I thought I had done exactly what the notes said to do, but obviously I had missed something.  Anyway, now all good with Helix, LT, Stomp and FX all updated.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, folks...having some problems.

My floor model was on the 2.1x version. In an effort to upgrade to 3.15, I first upgraded Helix Editor in my PC to 3.15. Initially it would not connect to the floor device via USB. Restarted PC and then got a connection. Began the 3.15 firmware upgrade to floor device with running the backup, following the automated directions through Editor. All went well. When I got to the firmware upgrade, that's when it all went to hell. After it got past 27% complete, for whatever reason my PC screen went blank. I noticed on the floor display it read "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!". I expected this to be normal, then I noticed the reason my PC screen went black was because it restarted.

Once the PC was back to my desktop screen, I opened Editor and it will not connect to the device. I've tried cycling power to floor device, restarting PC, and exercising the USB cable in the PC port...no joy.

I've limited time with my new job to spend even an hour searching the archives here for a solution, so can anyone help by leading me directly to a solution? Thank God I was able to back it up first.

Update to my above post(s):

With power to floor model off I simultaneously depressed switches 9 & 10 (the two center on bottom row) and powered up the device. No joy, I still have "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!" in the floor model's display screen.

On 6/2/2022 at 3:07 AM, Mongo79 said:

Update to my above post(s):

With power to floor model off I simultaneously depressed switches 9 & 10 (the two center on bottom row) and powered up the device. No joy, I still have "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!" in the floor model's display screen.

To save me from a lot of typing, please read my response and instructions in this thead: - link.

Happy happy joy joy. I followed dickmoncur84's directions, albeit "modified" a tad:

1.) My PC that I started this process with last night died after I did a backup, so I installed Updater and Edit to my laptop. I made no modifications like '84 did, I just let it all download/install automatically.
2.) With the Helix powered off, I plugged it into the USB port of the laptop.
3.) I then powered up the Helix while simultaneously pressing buttons 6 & 12, it powered up and I verified the screen showed "update mode".
4.) Opened up Updater and signed in.
5.) Followed the update instructions listed to a "T" and in less than 10 minutes it updated the Helix to 3.15 and automatically rebuilt all of my presets that I had backed up.

Thanks for all of the info !!!

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm having an issue with the current build... I performed the update as instructed on my Helix floor.. Did the factory reset after the install... Reinstalled my back up , and now the unit freezes when I change patches (not snapshots, once I'm in the patch I'm fine).  When I leave the patch and choose another one further down or up in the bank, the entire unit freezes, and I have to power cycle to get the unit functioning again.  It's happened to me several times now.. I even went through the entire process of updating again, reinstalling the back up, and the unit still freezes when I change patches... Help...