Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Did I brick my Helix w/ 3.15 update?

jmgoble

Hey all. First time ever having problems with updating my Helix and it's a doozy. For information, running a Mac with Big Sur 11.5.2. 

Launched HX Edit and updated that. Then created a backup before continuing with the 3.15 update on my Helix. Halfway through got an error message that said to restart the update and to "turn Helix off and on" and "make sure USB is connected." As soon as I turned the Helix off is when the problems started. Turning it back on it states that it's loading Firmware Version 3.15 and then ... nothing. It just stays on the boot screen. Tried doing a full factory reset. Held down 8&9 and it says it will reset everything then ... nothing. It again just sits on the boot screen. I can get it to go into Update Mode with 6/12 switches. However when I go to the updater it doesn't recognize it (or at least it doesn't show up onscreen.) 

So. Did I brick my Helix?

Highly unlikely you bricked the Helix. Most likely the firmware somehow got fritzed (a technical term ;))

I'm not a Mac user, so the following you'll need to accomplish in the Mac universe.

First see: HelixHelp.com's Reset Options for your unit and perform the Factory Reset or 5&12 or 6&12 options. 

Uninstall all of the Helix software from your computer, and then begin anew with a fresh full install of HX Edit allowing HX Edit to reinstall all necessary components. If you encounter any problems downloading and installing HX Edit for the Mac, use the Line 6 Updater to install the Flash Memory for your device.

If all else fails, contact on a Support Ticket with Line 6 and they'll get you sorted out. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jmgoble said:

Hey all. First time ever having problems with updating my Helix and it's a doozy. For information, running a Mac with Big Sur 11.5.2. 

Launched HX Edit and updated that. Then created a backup before continuing with the 3.15 update on my Helix. Halfway through got an error message that said to restart the update and to "turn Helix off and on" and "make sure USB is connected." As soon as I turned the Helix off is when the problems started. Turning it back on it states that it's loading Firmware Version 3.15 and then ... nothing. It just stays on the boot screen. Tried doing a full factory reset. Held down 8&9 and it says it will reset everything then ... nothing. It again just sits on the boot screen. I can get it to go into Update Mode with 6/12 switches. However when I go to the updater it doesn't recognize it (or at least it doesn't show up onscreen.) 

Same thing happened to me. I've tried a few things, but ultimately I'm not able to get HX Edit to recognize my Helix and I'm unable to attempt to run the update again.

Much like you I'm very concerned that my Helix Rack is now just an expensive paperweight.

I doubt you've killed 'em.

Hang around and guys who know these things inside out will be along to guide you through sorting it - datacommando and rd2k (sorry, can't remember his exact handle) and PiersM know their stuff.

Until then, there's a recent thread which contains the recovery codes. If you find it try 'safe mode' and then try updating the firmware manually - open HX Edit and update from the file, not over the net. Also make sure you have a good usb cable.

• Like 1

Hi,

I had this issue when I tried to update when I first got my Helix LT.

I was using a Windows 10 PC and HX Edit and it was unable to see my Helix.

Anyway to cut a long story short I ended up downloading the Line6 Updater and that was able to get things going again.

I now use a MacBook Pro and HX Edit to update and it has worked perfectly the last two updates.

HX Edit must be the same version as the new firmware (3.15)

Hope this helps. 

12 hours ago, jmgoble said:

Probably not, although you didn’t mention what version of the firmware you had installed previously. I mention this because the installation appears to fail and install again when updating from firmware prior to v2.80.

Follow the instructions in the link to the notes below. The section you need is after this text in red.

IMPORTANT:  In the unlikely event that your update fails, please follow the steps below:

PLEASE NOTE: In point 2 where it says:

Turn your Helix/HX device off and on.

I should add that while powering up your hardware you need to hold down FS 6&12 to put it into “Safe Boot - Update Mode”.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

The Line 6 Updater was successful where the HX Edit was unable to recognize and interact with the device - that was a great suggestion and thank you.

I do think that it's odd that two people using Mac experienced nearly identical issues and points to a problem with the provided software. I ended up digging up an old Windows laptop to handle the firmware update just in case.

• Thanks 1

I have just unboxed a brand new Helix LT, and before playing, I wanted to install all new updates.

Out of the box, it had Firmware Version 2.30.0 installed.

I launched HX Edit. 

It prompted me: "Updates are available for your Helix LT!"

At first, it performed a backup successfully.

Then I got an IMPORTAT! message:

"Updating to Helix 2.80 (or greater) Firmware
With the addition of the Command Center Hotkeys feature, updating to this release requires resetting the device twice. Line 6 Updater will reset your device halfway through the update process.
At this time, your device will display an error message. Do not be alarmed, this is expected!
Click Next to start the update.

Now to the exciting part, halfway through the firmware upgrade, it crashed my Windows OS.

I have received a Blue Screen of Death stop code on Windows 10: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

This was the first Blue Screen I saw in many years I owned my computer.

After PC reboot, HX Edit no longer recognises Helix LT.
Helix LT says "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!" 

Did I just brick my brand new Helix LT?
Please help :(

2 hours ago, B-O-G said:

I do think that it's odd that two people using Mac experienced nearly identical issues and points to a problem with the provided software.

I have been using a Mac to update the various versions of firmware, run HX Edit and Helix Native right from the start of them being available. Never had an issue communicating with the hardware - I must live on a ley line or be protected from the demons that inhabit the realm of USB.  ;-)

Enjoy your new firmware update.

2 hours ago, datacommando said:

Probably not, although you didn’t mention what version of the firmware you had installed previously. I mention this because the installation appears to fail and install again when updating from firmware prior to v2.80.

I was moving from 3.11 to 3.15.

2 hours ago, datacommando said:

PLEASE NOTE: In point 2 where it says:

I should add that while powering up your hardware you need to hold down FS 6&12 to put it into “Safe Boot - Update Mode”.

So here is where I get all kinds of confused. I have updated the Line 6 Updater to it's latest version. I've updated HX Edit to 3.15. When I put the Helix into Safe Boot/Update Mode, both HX Edit and Updater act like they're trying to find the Helix. (IE there's the constant loading wheel on my Mac cursor). After a couple minutes though HX Edit will say "no device connected" and when I try through the Updater it brings me to the screen where it says "Select device to update" but there's nothing to select. 

39 minutes ago, jmgoble said:

both HX Edit and Updater act like they're trying to find the Helix.

Hi,

Once you have a failed update the hardware will NOT CONNECT to HX Edit.

Do not have HX Edit open when trying to access your hardware device when using the Line 6 Updater Utility.

In fact the best thing is not to have any other applications running in the background while performing an update.

If you follow the instructions in the post I made earlier - you should be good to go, proving you bear in mind the couple of caveats I added earlier:

In point 2 where it says:

I should add that while powering up your hardware you need to hold down FS 6&12 to put it into “Safe Boot - Update Mode”.

and point 5 where it says:

Select your device and try updating the firmware again.

I should add - (without HX Edit, or anything else open, and running in the background.)

Hope this helps/makes sense

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, jmgoble said:

I was moving from 3.11 to 3.15.

So here is where I get all kinds of confused. I have updated the Line 6 Updater to it's latest version. I've updated HX Edit to 3.15. When I put the Helix into Safe Boot/Update Mode, both HX Edit and Updater act like they're trying to find the Helix. (IE there's the constant loading wheel on my Mac cursor). After a couple minutes though HX Edit will say "no device connected" and when I try through the Updater it brings me to the screen where it says "Select device to update" but there's nothing to select. 

Do you have a Windows machine that you could try running the Line 6 Updater? Maybe you have a friend with a Windows machine that would let you try this? 

The reason I ask is because I had literally the same scenario - the situation you described about how your update failed was identical to mine and just like you the Line 6 Updater would not recognize my Helix on Mac - that’s why I ran the Updater on Windows

7 hours ago, B-O-G said:

Do you have a Windows machine that you could try running the Line 6 Updater? Maybe you have a friend with a Windows machine that would let you try this? 

This is exactly what I ended up doing. Out of desperation I pulled out the old Lenovo I use for work (really just Excel). Installed the updater and drivers and was up and running within 10 minutes. 

5 hours ago, jmgoble said:

This is exactly what I ended up doing. Out of desperation I pulled out the old Lenovo I use for work (really just Excel). Installed the updater and drivers and was up and running within 10 minutes. 

Nice - I’m actually relieved for you. It’s strange that the two of us had identical issues - literally identical experiences.  I certainly hope that the line 6 devs take a look but I’m happy you’re good now

I’m the odd one out here. I’m using a MS Surface running Win10 and the Line6 updater saw that there was a new version of both HX Edit and new firmware for the Helix. I updated HX Edit and that went well. But now, in trying to updat the Helix, it just sits there saying “Initializing firmware installation”. It’s been like that for 15 minutes now. And yes I did backup first, the USB cable is the same one I’ve always used and it’s the only thing I use it for and is connected directly to the Surface. No I’ve never had any trouble updating before. 

None of the solutions in here are helpful. Running into the same issue on a Mac OS, upgrading from 3.1 hardware. Tried entering update mode, doing all kinds of factory resets, reinstalling the update app and the HX edit application, nothing is working, it refuses to show up anywhere on my os. Literally just got a gig that requires the Helix, and I remembered that Line6 recently released an update and was excited to try out the new features. Now I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to make this slab of metal semi-functional. You'd think a company as big as Line 6 would release an update that works, and at least have work arounds in case of a failure. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fenderbaby said:

None of the solutions in here are helpful. Running into the same issue on a Mac OS, upgrading from 3.1 hardware. Tried entering update mode, doing all kinds of factory resets, reinstalling the update app and the HX edit application, nothing is working, it refuses to show up anywhere on my os. Literally just got a gig that requires the Helix, and I remembered that Line6 recently released an update and was excited to try out the new features. Now I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to make this slab of metal semi-functional. You'd think a company as big as Line 6 would release an update that works, and at least have work arounds in case of a failure. 

Eventually, the Helix will probably show up in the Updater. Have you tried a different USB cable and/or different USB port?

1 hour ago, Fenderbaby said:

You'd think a company as big as Line 6 would release an update that works, and at least have work arounds in case of a failure. 

It did - and it does.

Literally just got a gig that requires the Helix”

There is a old maxim in the Helix forum, that goes along the lines of - “Never update in the days before a gig!”

O.K. Let’s give this one more shot - Recover from failed update procedures v.3.15

First - remove all prior installations of Line 6 HX Edit - on a Mac ensure there are no aliases pointing back to an earlier version.

Now go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "- Choose Hardware -" select Helix, then under "- Choose Software -" select HX Edit, now select your PC/Mac OS from under the "- Choose OS -" tab, then click “Go”.  From the next page you can select HX Edit 3.15 for your Helix LT, repeat the download procedure for the Firmware v.3.15 Flash Memory, and the Line 6 Updater version 1.23. 

Download all these items to your computer and note where they are.

Unplug the USB cable from both your computer and the Helix, then turn the Helix off and then on again while holding down Foot Switches 6&12 while turning the power on. This will put your Helix into “Safe Boot” mode, at this point you may see a black, or error screen, but just keep going.

Ensure that HX Edit is closed and reconnect you Helix to your computer with a known good USB cable - do not use a hub, some front USB ports on PCs act like a hub, so use one of the ports on the back.

Ensure you are disconnected from the internet, also Shut down all Line 6 software or any programs that use audio, like DAWs, iTunes, Spotify, video games, etc. If your computer's sleep timer is set relatively short, disable it, as the update can fail if your computer goes to sleep. Make sure external devices are not currently sending MIDI to Helix/HX. If you're unsure, unplug Helix/HX's MIDI IN port.

Now launch the Updater Utility that you downloaded earlier, and then select "Offline Mode". Your Helix and current firmware version should now show up in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select a  local file - click “Choose File”, point it at the Flash Memory file you downloaded and let it get on with the update. If you are updating from a firmware version prior to v.2.80 the installation may appear to happen twice - this is normal as the Core operating system is being modified.

When it completes, you need to perform a factory reset on your Helix, then you can install the new HX Edit v.3.15 software, perform a restore from backup using the file you created before starting the failed update,and you should be good to go. 

Please note: After you complete the restore from back up, you will notice that the next time you restart the hardware, it will run the “Rebuilding Presets” routine. This is perfectly normal as it ensures that all you older presets are optimised for use in the new firmware. Also, any time you install a preset created with an earlier version of the firmware (e.g. a preset downloaded from CustomTone, etc.), the Rebuilding Presets function will run again after the next restart - this is an expected housekeeping routine for the unit.

No guarantees are given or implied, you do this at your own risk. If it doesn’t work, raise a ticket with Customer Support - you may have a hardware issue that cannot be resolved by anyone in this user forum.

• Upvote 2

@datacommando Hey man, I just want to thank you for all of your help. I followed your steps to the T, got to the step where I booted the Helix in Safe Boot mode, disconnected from the Internet, and closed all of my other apps except the Updater, launched that in Offline Mode, and the app still didn't detect the Helix. I tried different USB cables and ports, nothing. I'm beginning to think it may be a hardware issue like you said. I've tried reaching out to other forums and have heard similar advice. Maybe I'm just getting especially unlucky, idk. I appreciate your help regardless, I just wished it worked.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fenderbaby said:

@datacommando Hey man, I just want to thank you for all of your help. I followed your steps to the T, got to the step where I booted the Helix in Safe Boot mode, disconnected from the Internet, and closed all of my other apps except the Updater, launched that in Offline Mode, and the app still didn't detect the Helix. I tried different USB cables and ports, nothing. I'm beginning to think it may be a hardware issue like you said. I've tried reaching out to other forums and have heard similar advice. Maybe I'm just getting especially unlucky, idk. I appreciate your help regardless, I just wished it worked.

Probably already tried this(multiple times?) but also restart your computer. As @datacommando indicated your computer will not recognize your device if HX Edit and the Updater are running at the same time. So, clutching at straws here, you want to make sure HX Edit is not a hung process.

If the above does not work. I think it is time to give this a shot on a different computer if you have not tried that already. With the usual swapping around of USB cables and ports if necessary.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fenderbaby said:

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you were unable to fix this, and sadly I don’t have any other tried and tested method to “resurrect” your hardware.

The only other option is to try and find someone/friend/bandmate, who would be willing to assist you fix this by using another computer, either Windows or Mac. If that is not an option, I would suggest raising a ticket with Customer Support and explain that you have gone though all the regular routines to fix it, and you may have a genuine hardware failure.

Over all the years that the Helix/HX products have been available, I found that it is exceptionally rare for software to totally junk the hardware. An electrical component can fail at the most unexpected time and there is no way to plan for that and without having a complete second unit ready to roll - well - it’s known as fail safe.

Hopefully this can be rectified swiftly.