Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just Intonation Using Helix with JTV Variax/HX Edit

RockFlobster

22 hours ago, RockFlobster said:

I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to create just intonation using HX Edit or Helix.

Hmm… not sure that how that would work using HX Edit or Helix, but the option to use any tuning you can think of should be feasible using your JTV and Workbench.

I use lots of odd tunings on my acoustic, electric and Variax guitars. I also have a tenor guitar, banjo, mandolin and autoharp, for even more unusual tunings (Celtic, Indian, Arabic), but they usually need my Peterson Strobe for accuracy.

Hope this helps/makes sense, even though I have no idea why you would want to do this.

If the OP refers with just tuning to tuning intervals that are all ratios of whole numbers I don’t think this is possible w/o external equipment (because the Helix family tuners do not support any tuning type but well tempered). That said I can’t imagine how one could play a standard guitar in just intonation because all the thread positions are also just supporting well tempered tuning. I am probably riding the wrong horse …

12 hours ago, MartinDorr said:

That said I can’t imagine how one could play a standard guitar in just intonation because all the thread positions are also just supporting well tempered tuning. I am probably riding the wrong horse

I think you are correct, I cannot see how "just"(pure) intonation would work on a guitar - it's not in keeping with Western styles of music.

Also, I cannot comprehend what purpose this is meant to ultimately achieve using what is essentially a guitar amp and multi effect modelling device.

Slightly baffled.