Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4 Cable Method no XLR output

aed1421

Hello,  I set up the 4 cable method based on this video. 

Works well out of the 1/4 to my amp but now I have no output out of my XLR even though I have changed the output to multi.   Input is multi and output is multi.  Output and intput work fine on all other none 4 cable presets.

That's still just a picture - this time it's the HX Edit screen vs the actual Helix UI screen.

Attached is a preset.

In order to do that, you need to export the preset to your computer's file system (desktop, folder, whatever). Then when you click "Choose Files" navigate to where you exported the preset and select it. Now the ACTUAL PRESET (not a picture) will be attached, and I can load it into my Helix for troubleshooting.

BassmanMono.hlx

Works fine on mine, all outputs fully functional.

Check your XLR cables and the settings on whatever the XLRs are plugged into.

Purely out of curiosity, why are you using Send1 and Return2 instead of just FX Loop1?

4 hours ago, aed1421 said:

That's how the guy in the video said to do it.   He explains his resoning.  

TBH, lots of people post videos here, and I haven't got time to watch them all

Especially since the answer is usually failure to RTM.

My question, if you can't explain it and can't provide a time in the video that I can go to to hear this logic, is this.

Was the video so bad that you don't understand the logic behind the choices he made?

So you just went ahead and did what he said?

IDK, just seems illogical to me.

When someone tells me to do something, I want to know, WHY?

FWIW - the only reason I can see for wasting two FX Loops is if you think that having (in Global Settings) the SEND Level be different from the RETURN Level.

IMO these Global levels should be separate in each FX Loop, but they're not.

I've tried using two FX Loops like this and found it a waste. You can accomplish the same thing more efficiently with the S/R Levels within a single loop.

JS is a really smart guy, so maybe he has another reason?

BUT...this thread is about YOU. If YOU don't understand it after he explained it, I probably won't do any better.

Can you explain his reasoning?

4 hours ago, aed1421 said:

I apologize for wasting your time.  I was just looking for help and insight on some things I wasn’t familiar with.  I will start referencing the manual instead.   

So, using the method of selective reading comprehension, you've chosen to be offended rather than to take part in a learning experience, or help the person (me) who's tried very hard to help you, to understand the logic behind your choices and maybe even, GOD FORBID, actually solve your problem by understanding what caused it in the first place?

Because YOU DON'T HAVE TIME to explain yourself? 

"If you really wanted to help me you'd watch the video. I don't have time to explain why I did what I did! I'm very busy! I'm doing my laundry!"

It's not about wasting my time. It's about YOU taking the time to involve yourself in the solution.

We're always happy to help new users, but NO ONE can help someone WHO WON'T HELP THEMSELVES!

OK, now that I've had a cup o' joe and a rant, and only because I, personally, want to understand stuff, I watched the video. His reasoning is what I said:

15 hours ago, rd2rk said:

FWIW - the only reason I can see for wasting two FX Loops is if you think that having (in Global Settings) the SEND Level be different from the RETURN Level.

IMO these Global levels should be separate in each FX Loop, but they're not.

I've tried using two FX Loops like this and found it a waste. You can accomplish the same thing more efficiently with the S/R Levels within a single loop.

If you'd understood his reasoning, you could've explained it easily. Rewatch the video so that you understand this, it's an important concept. Neither my method nor his is ALWAYS optimal in a given configuration.

I still don't know why your XLRs aren't working. The only thing I can think of (if you checked the things I suggested above) would be that you have the BIG KNOB assigned to XLR and turned OFF.

• Upvote 1

I'm not offended and I am learning...just not at the rate I would like.    I did watch the video but thought a 2nd hand response/explanation would not be as accurate as referencing the video to get exactly why he used send 1 and return 2.  And I agree, providing a time marker would have helped a lot.  I will get better. 

48 minutes ago, aed1421 said:

I'm not offended and I am learning...just not at the rate I would like.    I did watch the video but thought a 2nd hand response/explanation would not be as accurate as referencing the video to get exactly why he used send 1 and return 2.  And I agree, providing a time marker would have helped a lot.  I will get better. 

OK, sorry about the rant. I get crazy sometimes when I haven't had my coffee!

Learning Helix definitely takes some time, and videos (there weren't many back in 2016 when I got mine) can help, but at least scanning the manual for your immediate topic of interest will also be useful. Going on 6 years with mine and I still refer to the manual frequently. Also, I'm old and hate watching videos (except live music). I don't even watch TV! Lifelong book addict!

• Upvote 1