Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

helix firmware 3.15 : update time problem

MauroDave

we are the usual, as always with every helix update I do everything correct and there are always problems!

I created the back up, brought hx edit to the latest version ... I start the firmware update, the classic screen comes out:

update device

hx edit will now update your device firmware to the latest version. this process may take a few minutes.

initialing firmware intallation.....

well, there is the wheel that has been turning for half an hour and nothing changes !!

in my opinion it is already passing too much and as always something is wrong, some saint who helps me?
A thousand thanks

11 minutes ago, silverhead said:

Interrupt and restart your Helix device. Download the Helix firmware file to your computer and run the Line 6 Updater program. Use the Update from File option and point to the downloaded firmware file.

where can i find the firmware file to download?

27 minutes ago, silverhead said:

Interrupt and restart your Helix device. Download the Helix firmware file to your computer and run the Line 6 Updater program. Use the Update from File option and point to the downloaded firmware file.

it doesn't even make me interrupt because it says "your device is updating"
press ok to return to hx edit, and always remain in the update screen ..... do I switch everything off by forcing?

22 minutes ago, MauroDave said:

Try this!

IMPORTANT! In the unlikely event that your update fails, please follow the steps below:

1. Unplug the USB cable from both the back of your Helix and the computer.
  2. Turn your Helix/HX device off and on - hold down FS 6&12 to put it into “Safe Boot - Update Mode”.
  3. Reconnect the USB cable to your Helix/HX device and the computer.
  4. Download, install, and launch the latest version of Line 6 Updater. In a failure state, the device will not connect to HX Edit.
  5. Select your device and try updating to the latest firmware again, without HX Edit, or anything else open, and running in the background.
    • If the device does not show up in Line 6 Updater after these steps, try a different USB cable and/or USB port.
    • If it still doesn't show up, try a different computer.

Hope this helps makes sense

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MauroDave said:

all cables connected, internet connection okay ... why do I know every update is going to end badly? what am I doing wrong? do I interrupt or let the wheel turn for hours and hours?

Sorry you are encountering this. If every update is going poorly, these are the things I would most suspect as the source of the problem; @silverhead already covered some of this.

• A bad USB cable or one that does not play well with Helix. If you have not tried swapping out cables I would. A cable with poor data transmission is worse than one with no data transmission as it can appear to work initially by recognizing your device but ultimately fails during the update.
  • Poor connectivity on the USB port you are using. Try others. Also, make sure you don't have anything except the USB cable plugged into your Helix or anything not strictly necessary plugged into the computer during your update.
  • Some issue with the computer you are using such as driver conflicts, old Line6 software still installed, an SD card mounted, etc.. Uninstall the Line6 software before starting your update. Unmount any SD cards. Restart your computer. If it is failing every time you try to update I would just try another computer.
  • Poor internet connectivity. The best/only fix for this is downloading the firmware and using the Updater's manual process instead of the automated HX Edit firmware update. Backup and then install the latest version of HX Edit first! 
  • Failure to have run the factory reset and backup restore on your previous upgrade. Don't know if this can cause issues with subsequent upgrades and I don't want to find out. Just part of the update notes I make sure to follow every time.
  • Unreliable power in your location is a potential issue if it fluctuates enough during the update.
  • The potential for user error somewhere during the process.
  • This suggestion is purely speculative and likely erroneous, the upgrade process probably accounts for this, but consider starting the upgrade with a blank preset selected. Kind of the way if you were upgrading Windows to a new version you would not have every imaginable application loaded up and bogging down your computer or a corrupt application(preset) causing an issue.
  • Upvote 1

Yes, if your updates fail consistently it points to something in your computer system setup. In fact one of the most common comments during beta testing, when we update software/firmware multiple times, was how smooth and reliable the updates were this time compared to the past. Obviously this isn’t what you’re seeing - which points to your environment.

1 hour ago, MauroDave said:

On the Downloads page select your Helix device in the leftmost field, select Flash Memory in the middle field, and (if not already correctly filled in) your OS in the rightmost field. 

hi guys, problem solved.
in the end the same thing always happens: if I do the updates following the automatic procedure that opens when hx edit starts it never goes, if I do the procedure with the line 6 updater system it is successful, absurd!

later I ran into another problem: all my presets were back but 1 WON'T WORK. only one (pink floyd).
You know the absurd thing? if I reimported the preset in another slot (in the user 2 folder) it would work again.
if I put it back where it was before (user 1 folder) it doesn't work.
I'm cursed by line 6 there is no other explanation

• 8 months later...
On 2/9/2022 at 12:50 PM, silverhead said:

Are you on Mac or Windows? In either case make sure you are not using any USB hub, even an internal one. This is often the case with front panel USB ports on a Windows machine. Use a rear panel port, preferably USB 2.0.

This resolved the issue for me. Initially the updater was showing no progress bar, and the Helix display showed "Update message server Started". After moving to my PC rearUSB 2.0 connections, the "Installing Firmware Update" message appeared in the installer with a progress bar that slowly but steadily completed the firmware update. I'm my case the upgrade from 3.11 to 3.15 took about 10 minutes.