Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powercab vs Monitors

Wondo100

I know this topic has been addressed before and a lot of mixed answers and of course it is all a matter of preference. I had to move in to my studio as an office b/c working from home. I have been using the Helix with my two H&K Grandmeisters in 7CM. I have also used 2 PC+ in stereo. I like the tone of all of these options but the space now is just not practical. I have a nice set of Yamaha HS7 for mixing and listening to music, but for guitar, I really like the sound of a cabinet pushing some air. I am wondering if space wise, if it might be better to get a PC 212. It would have less footprint than the two PC+ and less footprint of the two Grandmeisters. Plus, a lot less cables. I would only have to run two XLRs to my mixer and one L6 Link cable from Helix to PC. Just not sure if the 212 is overkill for a space that is about 12x11. But, it certainly would save some space and clean things up a bit. 

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I only own the PC212+ cabs, but have heard that the PC112+ can feel a little under powered in a live band setting.  But for a bedroom without a real drum kit, it's probably just fine. 

That said, the PC212+ cabs do give you stereo with a width control.  You can choose different speaker models for each side.  And it's loud as F if needed.  Plus it looks cool.  :)

The cabs use neodymium speakers, so they're pretty light regardless.

Two PC112+ would give you the option of having a very large stereo width.  Though the PC212+ does have the width control to use phasing to make it sound wider, it can't be as effective as two speakers in different parts of the room.  On top of that, if you gig, you can put each on either side of the stage so that other band members can hear you better - and control the volume for just their side.