A cheat sheet, FW 3.15 - Amps and Effects...

PerS

Hi

Just updated my Helix LT and went through all the new stuff in this amazing update. The weekend is saved… So figured that I make an update to my Cheat Sheet, Line6 Helix Model Summary, and hope it can be of any use for you. This version incl the 3.15 update - Amps, cabs, mics and effects are listed in order of appearance on the unit. Have also corrected some minor errors and mistyping found in previous version.

On the new added models, I don’t have any info about input impedance, so they are marked TBD for now. Also, I'm not sure  on some of the effects. It looks like some effects are mono in and stereo out… I got aware on this when investigating Ben Vesco’s site. Will make an update later when I find more info.

Download from my Dropbox (pdf-format) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdme46mvj7gt4g2/Line6 Helix-Model Summary%2C 3%2C15-01x.pdf?dl=0

Have fun

//Per

• Thanks 5
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Thanks so much for your response… I’m glad it can be of any help :-)

It also reminds me that I corrected a few things – some new labels were misplaced, spelling etc. So, attach a better version with hopefully more accurate data… https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ub7u4wcnvtp0nw/Line6 Helix-Model Summary%2C P3%2C15-05x.pdf?dl=0

As we already speaking about this pdf… This format will be hard to maintain in the long run with all good new stuff coming in 3.20 and probably not end there. It outgrows the pdf-format and I start to think of moving it into MS Excel (it’s already there but I have more stuff in there that is not exposed today and would clutter up the pdf so much it would be hard to read it).

My straight questions without make this to a long story is - I have an MS Excel version running a bunch of micros/VB scrips presenting, all info there is today and also adds DSP per selected amp’s/effect’s per path, has fail control if you end outside design limits (eg DSP limit per path, more than two amps in an path etc.), can clear a config, can name and store a config, different way to search amps and effects, can print a similar printout as today etc. Is it perfect? No, but maybe it can be… :-). But - 

• Is this format of interest at all? Or, is the pdf preferred as is today.
  • Have tried it on MS Excel 365, MS Excel for OneDrive and Google Sheets. Best outcome was MS Excel 365. MS Excel on OneDrive has a few limitation (can’t get VB scrips to run) so some functionality will be lost (eg to clear multiple entries). Google Sheets does not work as is today. 
    So, my main path now is to use MS Excel 365 and local installation/office as platform. Will you see this as a major disadvantage/not usable?
  • If I clean this up, any interest to test it (running on Windows, not tested on Mac)? If there is interest for it, I publish a working beta on this forum.

The MS Excel version vill be published as free as the pdf-version.

As a sneak peak I add a screen shot (jpg-file) of the interface… no need to be gentle on the feedback :-) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/vl5ze5r8qoqich3/L6 Helix-Models and DSP Summary-P3-3.15-02.jpg?dl=0

Take care...

//Per

• Thanks 1

@PerS - the sneak peak looks good to me. I agree, it would indeed be difficult to maintain updates using PDF, and Excel makes a lot of sense.

I run Excel (and Numbers) on Mac, so would be happy to take your beta file on a quick spin and see if its working OK for me.

On 6/30/2022 at 4:50 PM, PerS said:

As we already speaking about this pdf… This format will be hard to maintain in the long run with all good new stuff coming in 3.20 and probably not end there. It outgrows the pdf-format and I start to think of moving it into MS Excel (it’s already there but I have more stuff in there that is not exposed today and would clutter up the pdf so much it would be hard to read it).

Technically speaking, PDF is not a format to "maintain" in the first place. You do whatever you want to do in an app of your choice, and then you export the result as PDF to share it with others. ("PDF" means "Portable Document Format", hint hint… ;)

Also to keep in mind:

• a PDF doesn't need to be in a printable size like DIN A4 portrait. A PDF can also be something like 100 × 100 cm if you wish; I don't remember off the top of my head what the technical size limit is, but it's definitely meters.
  • If you need more columns while still keeping it a printable size like DIN A4, simply export as landscape orientation.
  • If you have data in there that you don't want to export, I'd expect that Excel allows you to exclude rows/columns/cells that should remain hidden on export.

But I guess you're aware of all that. :)

On 6/30/2022 at 4:50 PM, PerS said:

Is this format of interest at all?

I haven't used Excel since about two decades, and they will pry my Numbers.app from the ancient Apple iWork '09 suite from my cold, dead hands, haha…

So anything that this "antique" version of Numbers can import might be of interest for me, but that definitely excludes macros, scripts, or other too fancy functions.

Other than that, thanks again for your effort!

On 6/30/2022 at 3:50 PM, PerS said:

The MS Excel version vill be published as free as the pdf-version.

Hi,

You can always continue to update the “live” version of your spreadsheet in Excel, but you also have the option to then export that file as a pdf.

That should keep everyone happy! Yay!

Hope this helps/makes sense.

link:

https://www.howtogeek.com/659219/how-to-save-an-excel-sheet-as-a-pdf/

Thanks so much for your feedback. I clean the Excel version up and publish it here when done. 

I'm gone fishing this week but be back next... :-)

Some notes -

- The pdf is an export from Excel already today. The updates is made and formated in Excel and exported to pdf. A very hands on interface. The base in the new version is "just" a new formating of the data to be presented on  screen and added functions (don with micros and VB scripts) to be simple to use, I hope...

-  In the new version it's possible to print the base data as today. Will see if I can make this better. Challange to have a dynamic page layout is that headlines are different in different sections and the tables will reach over multiple pages. Have no solution to make it more dynamic at this point, other then manuaI formating. Anorher problem in dynamic formating is font size and readability, to small make it useless. A problem already today... Don't think makeing the pdf formated in landscape is doable, will be to many pages, but I check. 

- Micros and fansy scripts - I'm afraid that this has to be included to make this user oriented. This also made me chose platform as there is no/poor compability in between (micros/script). I have used Excel for the last 20 years so it made the choice easy... But there is always pdf ;-]

Fix this next week...

/Per

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 9:44 PM, PerS said:

Challange to have a dynamic page layout is that headlines are different in different sections and the tables will reach over multiple pages. Have no solution to make it more dynamic at this point, other then manuaI formating. Anorher problem in dynamic formating is font size and readability, to small make it useless.

At this amount of data, I likely would have moved them from a spreadsheet – which usually seems to be the first "best" choice for "small'n'easy" tables – to a proper database app, in my case FileMaker Pro. That step then completely separates the data from their appearance; i.e. first you make sure the data and all formulas and functions are correct without having to worry how the records look like; then you can create zillions of different layouts how to display the same set – or a subset – of records for various needs and situations.

Hi lou-kash

You are absolutly right, db is much better to do this. But, I'm better in programing Excel :-). And I used some new features that I hadn't tested before, so I challanged my Excel skills.

And, in the end I would probably run into the same problem, distribution and a intuitive user interface.

When I started this Cheat Sheet the goal was to have a print out with the most impotant info in an easy to read format. Today I do the same but use the electonic version. So, for me Excel is not a big step, but understand this is a challange for many. That's why I ask the question...

//Per

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi

So back from fishing and bin working on my tool. So here we go... A bit late but was running into an error message I couldn't kill at first, now it's fixed (I hope). 

To make this short - It's the former "Cheat Sheet/Helix Modell Summery" I made in pdf format and is now transferred into a more functional MS Excel-version. In the Excel file there is a more detailed read me tab, that’s the long story... (incl a quick start and description of known limitation).

You need a not to old version of standard MS Excel package or Office 365 installed on your PC (i think Mac will work too). You have to enable micros on your computer, there is some VBA involved.

Google Docs and OneDrive Office apps do not work. I will check how much work there is to transfer this to other platforms. Google Docks will probably need rewriting and MS OneDrive Apps did not like VBA... I'll be back on this (feel free to suggest spread sheet platform of your choice).

Feel free to try. Appreciate comments and suggestions. 

Link to file via my Dropbox - https://www.dropbox.com/s/240nqn1xs4nirqi/Line6 Helix-Model and DSP Summary%2C P3%2C15-06.xlsm?dl=0

//Per

Edited by PerS
Reloaded the XL-file and used my Dropbox