Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Labelling issue with new "Snapshot-controlled Snapshot Assignments" function

zappazapper

3 hours ago, zappazapper said:

In Command Center, if you set the "Press" parameter of an "HX Snapshot" command to "None", the label in the Stomp Mode display will keep its previous label, despite the fact that it no longer does anything.

Hi,

The first thing that springs to mind is: - you set the command to “None”, and then you are surprised that the label does not change from its previous state. Hmm…. Surely, that’s what you have told it to do - exactly nothing?

Not sure what you’re expecting, but if you have a command set to “None” then, logically, nothing should change.

IF THEN ELSE FOR WHILE?

2 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

The first thing that springs to mind is: - you set the command to “None”, and then you are surprised that the label does not change from its previous state. Hmm…. Surely, that’s what you have told it to do - exactly nothing?

Not sure what you’re expecting, but if you have a command set to “None” then, logically, nothing should change.

IF THEN ELSE FOR WHILE?

What I'm saying is that the "Press" parameter is set to "None" but the display still says "Next Snapshot", and pushing the button doesn't cause the unit to select the next Snapshot; it doesn't do anything, as intended. It functions correctly, it just doesn't present the user with the correct information on the display, which has the potential to cause confusion.

I think this behavior is similar to what I've been experiencing...and I'm not using the 'none' feature.  This isnt happening to every preset I have, one time I was able to resolve it.....this last preset/song I cannot.  

I am updating a batch of presets (songs per preset) for a new group....  I have a preset that I deleted the old blocks (most of them) and dropped/updated with my new favorited blocks.   In this preset I HAD 2 snapshots (rhythm/lead), laid out in Stomp mode.  I had updated the preset to now have 3 snapshots (rhythm/chorus/lead).  However, after going through my usual "save more times than I need to after every change' routine....  When I went to perform the song during at home practice tonight, when I clicked into my Lead preset...the layout resorted back to the previous 2 snapshot view with just rhythm/lead on footswitches 10/11, instead of rhythm being on stomp 9 and chorus being on stomp 10.  As soon as I stomp on footswitch 10....which should be Chorus (new version), but is now labeled Rhythm (old version) the layout reverts back to the saved version of the 3 snapshots properly labeled.  

I've tried resaving several times....same result.

I've tried saving, choosing another preset, going back to the problem one.  Everything looks good, but same behavior.

I've tried saving on the Helix itself (not HX Edit) and doing both above and same results.

I had one other preset that was showing this behavior, and it was resolved somehow with saving....I have also gone through about 7 other songs being updated and did not see this behavior.  So, I'm not sure I can send them anything that will reproduce this behavior...I can try posting the preset when I get back to my helix if it is showing the same behavior tomorrow.  

@themetallikid If you're not aware, they added a new feature to Snapshots that is probably the cause of your problem. From the release notes:

Per-Snapshot Command Center > HX Snpsht Values

Command Center > HX Snapshot command parameters can now be controlled by Snapshots themselves. For example, imagine that you are on Snapshot 1 and create an HX Snapshot command on FS2. You set it so that pressing that switch recalls Snapshot 3. You then switch to Snapshot 3 and set the same switch to recall Snapshot 6. Recall Snapshot 6 and set the switch to recall Snapshot 2. Finally, you recall Snapshot 2 and set the switch to recall Snapshot 1. Now, you go back to Snapshot 1 and begin pressing the switch. Each successive press recalls the assigned Snapshot and you would cycle Snapshot  1 > 3 > 6 > 2 > 1 > 3 > 6 > 2 and so on for each switch press. NOTE: this assumes that the Snapshot Edits global is set to Recall. If it's set to Discard, you'd have to save the preset after each set in order for the changes to stick

I had a similar issue to you. I have a Nirvana preset with 7 Snapshots laid out in a particular way in Stomp Mode. Once I updated, as soon as I hit a FS to select a new Snapshot, all the FS's that had Snapshots assigned to them said "Next Snapshot". I had to go through all 6 affected Snapshots and reassign the HX Snapshot parameters for every Snapshot. 

I think this is another case of L6 having a great idea but not implementing it quite as well as they could. Of course, this is part of the process for identifying bugs so hopefully someone sees this and comes up with a solution.

Yes im aware... im not using that feature at all. However iitseems that when i change snapshots and rhe error occurs it is reverting to an older saved layout or a potentially new feature (coming in 3 2?) Where your layout can change per snapshot?  

Idk, 

1 hour ago, themetallikid said:

Yes im aware... im not using that feature at all.

1 hour ago, themetallikid said:

...a potentially new feature (coming in 3 2?) Where your layout can change per snapshot?

That's what this is. Maybe they're doing more with it in 3.2 but right now this feature allows you to change your Snapshot layout on the board per-Snapshot, and it's in play whether you choose to use it or not. What I'm finding is that it defaults to "Next Snapshot" on all other Snapshots other than the one you were in when you set it. So, for example, you're in Snapshot 1 and you set FS8 to call Snapshot 1, FS9 to call Snapshot 2, and FS10 to call Snapshot 3. Then you hit FS9 to call Snapshot 2 and because those assignments haven't been explicitly defined for that Snapshot, they all default to "Next Snapshot".

I see what your saying there....   but I'm only seeing the 'error' on the 'new' snapshot location for this preset.  The original 2 footswitches 9/10 stay lit as snapshot choices, button 9 changes from snapshot 2 to snapshot 1.  

I'll have to try this when I get home tonight with that preset.  I'll start on button 8 (snap 1), click button 9 (snap 2), click button 10 (snap 3).  If button 10 is the only one that is changing my layout essentially...I'll go into command center and make sure that my button 8 reads as snap 1, button 9 as snap 2, exit, save.  Reboot Helix (in case it needs to rebuild something) and then load the preset and try again.  

Ya I haven't figured out exactly what's happening, all I know is that it broke all my presets that use Snapshots, which in my case is only two, but one of them has 7 Snapshots and I had to make 42 settings adjustments to fix it. And I'm actually starting to think that maybe there's an issue with how the update happened on just MY unit because it seems to me that if I had such a problem with just one preset, we'd be hearing a lot more about this from other users who have multiple Snapshot-heavy presets. At any rate, it's working now, I have a rehearsal tonight and a gig on Tuesday night so I'm not gonna go poking around until that's all done with.

I have exactly the same issue

have no idea how to resolve it!!!! it has mucked up a few of my presets and i cant seem to be able to build new presets because i have no idea how this new snapshot inception works!!!

its incredibly vague and also not ideal that you cant turn on and off.

please help!

1 hour ago, ramosric said:

I have exactly the same issue

have no idea how to resolve it!!!! it has mucked up a few of my presets and i cant seem to be able to build new presets because i have no idea how this new snapshot inception works!!!

its incredibly vague and also not ideal that you cant turn on and off.

please help!

Snapshot Inception? Not sure where that concept is coming from, but that really doesn’t describe what this feature is. All this feature does is let you change the value of a command assigned to a footswitch in the Command Center per snapshot rather than have it be the same in every snapshot.

So if a footswitch is assigned to recall Snapshot 4 in one snapshot, that same footswitch can recall Snapshot 6 in another one, and so forth (it applies to things other than snapshots as well). 

Can you give some more details of what you’re having problems with?

Thanks Phil!

I've worked it out now. I wasnt seeing the field where you can select each snapshot in the Command Centre view, as in previous firmwares you could not change that field, i just assumed it was the same, but now when you change that field to a different snapshot the command centre controls change.

Clever feature, i wish you could disable it in global settings because now i will need to remember to set up EACH snapshot view, because it defaults to "NEXT": so if you set up your snapshots in a new preset and you only set up command centre while you are in snapshot 1, once you go to a different snapshot ALL switches will change to "next snapshot" if you forgot to set up each view.

hope it makes sense.

THe issue that I'm having problems with is that

Snapshot 1 assigned to footswitch 8

Snapshot 2 assigned to footswitch 9

Snapshot 3 assigned to footswitch 10

I design the presets/snapshots.  Then go into command center to 'design' my Stomp Mode layout.  I assign the footswitches as noted above.  What happens for me, is that when I go to perform the song, and lets say I start on FS8, I press 9 for the chorus...  it changes my layout to a previously saved layout.  It could be showing only 2 footswitches available...or just 'blank' all of them.  I've seen both scenarios.  By "blank" I mean it removes any snapshot reference and just shows the abbreviation of "Snapshot ^" in the scribble strip.  If I push that footswitch, it does 1 of 2 things that I've noticed (before I rolled back to 3.11), it either just advances through the 8 snapshots available until it hits snapshot 1 again (then it displays the same as when I started the song....with the same results upon further switching) or it changes the layout again, to reflect the proper layout....    

I couldnt deal with it.  It was random 3 or 4 presets out of 15 I designed.  1 of which I was able to 'fix' the problem, but the same fix would not work for the additional presets.  This happened on 'restored from backup' presets" and also on freshly created 3.15 presets.  So I dont think the backup was corrupted in anyway.  

13 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

THe issue that I'm having problems with is that

Snapshot 1 assigned to footswitch 8

Snapshot 2 assigned to footswitch 9

Snapshot 3 assigned to footswitch 10

I design the presets/snapshots.  Then go into command center to 'design' my Stomp Mode layout.  I assign the footswitches as noted above.  What happens for me, is that when I go to perform the song, and lets say I start on FS8, I press 9 for the chorus...  it changes my layout to a previously saved layout.  It could be showing only 2 footswitches available...or just 'blank' all of them.  I've seen both scenarios.  By "blank" I mean it removes any snapshot reference and just shows the abbreviation of "Snapshot ^" in the scribble strip.  If I push that footswitch, it does 1 of 2 things that I've noticed (before I rolled back to 3.11), it either just advances through the 8 snapshots available until it hits snapshot 1 again (then it displays the same as when I started the song....with the same results upon further switching) or it changes the layout again, to reflect the proper layout....    

I couldnt deal with it.  It was random 3 or 4 presets out of 15 I designed.  1 of which I was able to 'fix' the problem, but the same fix would not work for the additional presets.  This happened on 'restored from backup' presets" and also on freshly created 3.15 presets.  So I dont think the backup was corrupted in anyway.  

have you checked EACH snapshot in Command centre? 

have a look at this video, great explanation on how to set up EACH view

this solved my issue

11 hours ago, ramosric said:

have you checked EACH snapshot in Command centre? 

have a look at this video, great explanation on how to set up EACH view

this solved my issue

That box at the top is interesting, I understand how the stackable thing works, I'm not sure if that is what is happening with my presets.   I'm referring to something being set weird in that drop down at the top of command center.  That box was always just left alone when I program my stuff and its worked fine.  Maybe with the stackable feature, 'leaving it alone' now is causing the issues I'm seeing.  I dont have time this week to upgrade again as I'm still creating presets for practices later this week.  I'd prefer to create them correctly in 3.11, and then update/troubleshoot if I have to...rather than create and troubleshoot at the same time. 

13 hours ago, phil_m said:

Can you give some more details of what you’re having problems with?

The feature works as described, but in my case, presets that used Snapshots and were created before the update were broken, in the sense that the assignments I defined only carried over to Snapshot 1, and all the Snapshot assignments for all other Snapshots had to be manually redefined - that preset has 7 Snapshots, so I had to make 42 settings adjustments to get my preset to work the way it did before. This isn't the end of the world, but I'm surprised that L6 allowed an update to go out that would break presets like that. I think the default behavior needs to change - instead of the "Press" value of every Snapshot defaulting to "Next Preset", they should default to the value defined by the first time it's set. So, for example, if you're in Snapshot 4 and you set FS2 to call Snapshot 6, FS2 should be set to call Snapshot 6 in every Snapshot until you change it to something else in a different Snapshot, or maybe even until you leave the current Snapshot and go to another one. Really it should be this way for anything in Command Center. Having to define every Command Center assignment for every Snapshot adds a lot of work that shouldn't be necessary if the default behavior was tweaked a little. 

At any rate, I started this thread because the Stomp Mode display saying "Next Snapshot" when Press is set to "None" is an actual bug. You can make the argument that the "None" setting wasn't intended to allow us to cancel out a Snapshot assignment, but it does work if you try it, it's just that the footswitch is labeled incorrectly. I hope you'll agree that the Stomp Mode display should display accurate information no matter the situation.